Recommendations for cast LSWC bullets

PDA

ojibweindian
August 26, 2004, 06:02 PM
Does anybody know where I can get cast LSWCHP or LSWC for a .357? I want to develop a load that does around 1100 fps, using Unique, and am concerned about barrel leading.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommendations for cast LSWC bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
August 26, 2004, 08:20 PM
Don't know about hard cast, but you can get the swagged
lead SWCHP's from Roze Distributors in Cullman, AL; as
they are suppliers for Zero Bullets. Oder a 1,000 of more and
S/H is free.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ala Dan
August 26, 2004, 08:20 PM
Oops! Sorry for the double tap; dang it, this new 'puter!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

JoeHatley
August 26, 2004, 09:03 PM
I get mine from www.powdervalleyinc.com I always order over 200# at a time, so I get the hundred weight rates. Very afordable.

Good Luck...

Joe

stans
August 26, 2004, 10:23 PM
Swaged lead is good for up to about 800 feet per second, beyond that you really need to look at cast bullets. I suggest you slug the barrel and cylinder forcing cones to determine their diameters and purchase bullets that are sized to your gun.

ojibweindian
August 26, 2004, 11:28 PM
I really don't want to use swagged bullets as I would like to push whatever I get to around 1100 fps, and from what I've heard, swagged bullets will excessively lead a barrel at that speed.

capbuster
August 27, 2004, 12:04 AM
You might try Magnus bullets for your .357. They are manufacture here in Alabama and have a great following.You might do a search to find their website and I believe you can order direct.

Murphster
August 27, 2004, 05:44 PM
Leadheads makes them. Here's the link. (They make very high quality cast bullets.)

http://www.proshootpro.com/

JuniorG
August 28, 2004, 11:10 AM
I'll second Leadheads, he makes some fine cast bullets.

Second choice would be Lazercast from the Oregon Trail Bullet Co.

http://www.laser-cast.com/

ojibweindian
August 28, 2004, 11:18 AM
I went out to those web sites and found that it's just as cheap for me to buy bulk Remington 158gr SJHP.

I was hoping to be able to buy a cast LSWC at a price around $15 per 500. Maybe I'm being a bit too high in my expectations.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
August 28, 2004, 07:51 PM
The problem with lead semi wad cutter bullets at higher velocities is that they need harder lead with added antimony and tin, in other words Linotype. The higher hardness makes a hollow point less effective as jacketed hollow point bullets have the hollow points of soft lead so they will expand.

So the hardness for the velocity and the softness for the hollow point do not go together . The only thing to do is to cast your bullets of linotype and set your drill press to drill the hollow hole and fire them into wet telephone books to see if there is any expansion of the points at the velocity you desire.

Fitz

1911Tuner
August 28, 2004, 08:26 PM
Howdy oji,

As an old-time bullet caster, I may be able to offer some insight on the
hard-cast vs soft swaged bullet debate...as well as dispel with some common myths and misconceptions.

A bullet that is too hard can lead worse than one that's soft. Leading
isn't caused by friction...Friction leading is called "Lead Wash" and comes out easily with a wet patch. The hard leading is caused by the hot gasses
melting the base and/or cutting past the sides before the bullet can upset and seal the barrel off. Bullet size is the key...not alloy hardness. When the
alloy becomes molten, it becomes a high-adhesion solder due to the tin content...and it's a very efficient soldering agent.

Hard cast bullets are recommended for velocities above 900-1000 fps
because soft lead doesn't "take the rifling" as readily as hard lead, and will skid, destroying the bullet's driving band and ruining accuracy.

I cast 230-grain bullets for my 45s from the same alloy as for 160-grain .357 Magnum. The 45s lead at 850 fps while the .160-grain SWCs
driven to 1350+fps don't lead at all. The gray lead wash in the barrel of my revolvers comes clean after a few passes with a solvent soaked brush and a dry patch. The 45s require mucho scrubbing to get clean.

The best insurance against leading is to size your bullets at .001 to .0015
over groove diamether, and drive them hard enough to upset the base and
seal the bore. The problem with commercially cast bullets is that they're
standardized, and you can't size them to the barrel. If the bullet isn't large enough, it'll lead, no matter how hard it is...and if the bullet is too small, the harder it is, the worse it will lead.

For bores that are too large to size a home-cast bullet to a large enough diameter, use a gas-check mold and crimp the copper cup on the bullet.
It protects the base from the hot gasses, and won't lead at all. Even using
gas checks at a penny apiece, the bullets will cost a third to half as much as
jacketed bullets, depending on how cleap you can find your wheelweights.
I normally drive gas-checked, 180-grain 30 caliber bullets to 2500 fps in my
bolt-action .308 rifles with good accuracy and zero leading. The bore is actually easier to clean than when I shoot jacketed bullets...and the wear
in the barrel is almost nil.

Hope this helps...Luck!

Tuner

ken grant
August 28, 2004, 09:43 PM
AMEN TUNER------you bring up a point that most casters don't even know.
Every caster should read LBT's book.He is back into production with molds.
He also makes one of the best lubs that you can find.:D

ken grant
August 28, 2004, 09:47 PM
There are ways to have a harder body bullet with a soft nose,in fact several ways!:D

The_Antibubba
August 31, 2004, 02:41 AM
Who's LBT? And what is the title of the book?

ken grant
August 31, 2004, 11:44 AM
LEAD BULLET TECH.------Veral Smith-------forget the name of the book as mine was destroyed by a fire. He is in Idaho and is an expert on all parts of lead bullet use.

Do a search and get his address,if you are into or interested in cast bullets,you can't find better info.

fecmech
August 31, 2004, 12:06 PM
Tuner I would add one exception, in wheelguns the most important size is not the bore but the cylinder throats. Bullets should be sized either exact or .001 over throat size, the barrel will take care of the rest. I am suprised to hear you get leading in your .45, my experience with .45 is limited to mine (an old AMU 1911) but I run 185 Saeco, 200 Lyman and 230 Lyman in the 800 to 900fps range with no leading at all. I don't even clean the barrel for about 2k rds until the chamber gets dirty. Nick

August 31, 2004, 12:53 PM
Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets
Veral Smith
Lead Bullet Technology
http://www.leverguns.com/lbt/index.htm
Veral is also hosting a forum here: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=114

Another good book:
Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide: A Comprehensive Guide For Attaining Unsurpassed Performace Using Cast Bullets
By J. Marshall Stanton
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

41 Redhawk
August 31, 2004, 02:03 PM
Dry Creek Bullet Works (http://www.creeker.net) Excellent cast bullets

ojibweindian
August 31, 2004, 11:27 PM
These all seem to be quality manufacturers, but I am looking for something cheap for plinking and practice. With the prices I've noted, I'd be better off sticking with jacketed bullets.

HSMITH
August 31, 2004, 11:49 PM
oji, Meister makes some darn good bullets for general shooting. I can buy 500 packs locally for around $18 per 500 in 158 LRN or SWC shapes. I have pushed them to 1300 in my 4" Smith without much leading at all, but mostly I shoot them down around 1000 fps and they work great. I get 3" or so groups at 25 yards with my guns, plenty good for what I need.

I did try some full on magnums with them and it wasn't good. I had BAD leading and terrible accuracy with 2400, 4227, and H110/W296. When I tried to drive them hard the bases were being blasted off from the pressure and gas temperatures. 2400 was significantly worse than the others, but over all I wouldn't suggest more than about 1250-1300.

Bonus bullets have been good for me as well in 45 cal, but I have not shot them in 357.

Unique is a superb powder for the cartridge and velocities you are looking for. I have had great results, very little to no leading and good accuracy. Unique is quite possibly the best lead bullet powder in existance.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
August 31, 2004, 11:53 PM
I have spent most of my life shooting and casting bullets as fast as 4,800 per hour in my business and for my customers and me with my Winchester Saddle ring carbine 44-40 the main ingredient has been cheap or free tire weights.

Get bulletcasting tools and a lifetime supply of bullet lead for alloying is readily available.

The_Antibubba
September 1, 2004, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. BTW, Smith's book is titled, "Jacketed Performance With Lead Bullets" :)

ojibweindian
September 2, 2004, 09:54 AM
Paul

What would I need to get started in casting bullets?

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommendations for cast LSWC bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!