Best to remove mildew?

PDA

nathan
February 19, 2003, 10:28 PM
Costantly having to clean the tough mildew along corners of the bathtub with almost all sorts of commercial avaialble products but to no avail. Is there a known proven one that works well? ANy secret or known home remedy? Thanks
So I use Tylex and its only 70 percent effective.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best to remove mildew?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bedlamite
February 19, 2003, 10:50 PM
Hoppes works pretty good, but if you have an acrylic tub you may need to use something that won't attack it. Maybe give CLP a try. :rolleyes:

Cal4D4
February 19, 2003, 11:53 PM
X14 or TSP and bleach. TSP used to have directions on the box. Some caulking is more prone to mildew than others.

gun-fucious
February 20, 2003, 12:31 AM
X14 will make ya loopey

make sure a window is open

didja know X14 is sold by the company that makes WD 40?
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/x14.html

don't use WD 40 as a gun lubricant

sm
February 20, 2003, 12:45 AM
I occasionally clean guns in the bathtub also (keeps gun related ahem)

Anything with Cl sets me off, allergy, sinus...massive headaches, so naturally stay away from household bleach, Tilex...etc. Currently I have a fiberglass tub and shower. Using Bon-Ami (tm) to thoroughly clean, I do the following to keep mildew at bay.

Alcohol,kept in a spray bottle , sprayed after showering really keeps it at bay.

About 3-4 times a year I clean real good, then using a good car wax , I wax everything EXCEPT the bottom, where one stands. Don't need to make slppery and fall.

So yes I have found this helps to keep mildew down--however--if one uses some gun solvents, in a tub, this will break down the protective barrier.

Uncle Ethan
February 20, 2003, 01:06 AM
Bleach or white vinegar work best for me.

Kahr carrier
February 20, 2003, 09:45 AM
Try Simple Green and some elbow grease ,also try leaveing a window open mildew is usually caused be lack of air circulation and excessive moisture.

Tamara
February 20, 2003, 09:47 AM
Try HintsFromHeloise.com

Closed as OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best to remove mildew?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!