Which Gun Would You Get Rid Of?

PDA

TrapperReady
August 27, 2004, 01:49 AM
We've all seen threads about "If you could only have one gun" or "What three guns would you want for [fill-in-the-blank] scenario".

How about this?

Of the guns that you currently own, which is the one you would part with first, and why?

For me, it would be a Taurus PT-58S. It has broken once... rendering it unable to fire. While Taurus did a fine job fixing it, I still don't trust it. As a .380, it's chambered for a relatively anemic round, but the size of the gun is still at least as large as many 9mm pistols. So I get to shoot more expensive ammo which isn't as effective as other viable options. I still have it only because my wife still likes it to plink with from time to time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Gun Would You Get Rid Of?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G.I.Jew
August 27, 2004, 01:52 AM
My Yugo SKS. I've tried everything, but it is still jam-o-matic.

mhpoole
August 27, 2004, 01:58 AM
Well lets see what i have here:

Kimber Custom II
Glock 30
Remington 710 30.06 Shoots less than MOA
Ruger MkII 300 win mag
Remington 870 Express
Marlin .22
Bushmaster 16" AR
FAL

Definately the 22 cal would be first on my list to go.

OEF_VET
August 27, 2004, 02:00 AM
That's an easy one. My Lorcin .22. Yes, I own a Lorcin.

My ex-wife would throw a hissy fit if I spent much (read: any) money on guns or ammo. I was able to convince her to let me spend $50 on a gun that shot ammo which costs only two cents a round. So, now I'm stuck with a Lorcin. I'd have to pay someone to take it off my hands, so I'll just keep it locked up in the safe where it can't be seen.

I have managed to get through as many as 3 mags full without any knd of malfunction. I think I got lucky and whoever put it together had previously worked for a major gun manufacturer before he was fired and blacklisted in the industry, with the only job he could get being at Lorcin. That's the only theory I can come up with that explains its' ability to function every now and then.

Frank

Not_A_Llama
August 27, 2004, 02:13 AM
NEF 20 gauge single-shot. One of my first guns, when I was a cheapskate. I have a pump-action now. I'm not sure anyone'd buy it at anything resembling a fair price, otherwise it'd be gone in an instant.

Well, dad gave it to me when I was a teen, maybe I'll give it to my kid. Maybe.

3 gun
August 27, 2004, 02:55 AM
Mossberg 500a. I have three of them :neener:

SteelyDan
August 27, 2004, 03:19 AM
If I had to let one go, it would be a S&W 3" .44 mag. But I wouldn't be happy about it.

Average Guy
August 27, 2004, 03:24 AM
My $60 nickel-plated paperweight, aka Jennings J-22.

I'm holding out for a local buy-back; maybe I can make some money on the deal. :D

entropy
August 27, 2004, 03:37 AM
None of them, not even my POS Iver Johnson Cadet .22 that spits as much lead out the side as the front. Hey, the kids had fun shooting Colibris out of it Saturday. Like a cap gun that hits things. (they were bouncing off the wood backed targets). My ten year old discovered that shooting at stuff by your feet is not the smartest thing, and the ricochet didn't even break the skin.:eek: Tough kid.;)

Black Majik
August 27, 2004, 05:34 AM
My springfield armory M1a.

Accurate shooter, but as skunk puts it, its jus' a $1300 plastic SKS.

The stock feels cheap, is cheap, and the build quality honestly SUCKS! Its just one of those guns that sits in the back and never gets fondled. Cuz it just pisses me off more that I paid that much for a gun that, well... feels like a $400 gun.

I got a solution for it though, new stock. Hopefully. :D

telewinz
August 27, 2004, 06:32 AM
Early in my gun collecting life (1970's) I thought the Garand and the M14/M1A were THE guns to have so I got them. I still have the M1A although I haven't shot it in 2 years but I recently traded in my remaining Garand towards a minty H-Bar AR15. Having shot and still owning an FN49, a Hakim, SKS's, AK's, a Romak 3, and a FNFAL the "greatness" of the Garand (I even owned a beautiful NM Garand) when pitted against these (IMHO) superior designs has diminished so much that mine became a dust collector. I don't miss it a bit but I sure do enjoy owning my 4th AR15!

possenti
August 27, 2004, 03:13 PM
I don't understand your question...

Let's try to clarify...

Which - Gun - Would - You - Get - Rid - Of?

...I'm sorry, those words just don't make any sense when you put them together like that.

Or is this one of those "If a tree falls in the woods" -type questions?

GunGoBoom
August 27, 2004, 03:42 PM
Right now, I would get rid of, and actually plan to, the Mitchell .22 mag turnbolt - it pretty much sucks (though it looks nice). I could also live without the Rem 572 Fieldmaster .22 - it doesn't impress me, and I've got 2 other .22s. I only keep it for the purpose of teaching newbs/family how to sight with iron sights on a rifle. Beyond that, it would be brutally painful to part with any, but if forced to, I suppose one of my two K31s - I got the second one mainly for the extra mag - it's pretty beat up. After that, I could possibly survive without the KT P3AT, since I plan to get a Rohrbaugh. After that, they're as vital as air to me (or so I feel). :)

Indy7373
August 27, 2004, 03:46 PM
I am with possenti here. You mean there are people who actually get rid of guns once they buy them? Thats crazy talk man :D.

I still own every gun I ever bought. (Since I am only 20, thats not all that hard to do)

Still say your speaking crazy there.

Bainx
August 27, 2004, 04:32 PM
It is flat-out against my religion to get rid of any guns I have but....
let's pretend I am getting rid of one.
It would have to be

Baby Browning.
I have cursed, smithed, blessed, conjured, polished, fitted, you name it and the darn thing will not fire more than a couple of rounds before jamming.
It is real old so I elect to keep it for 'collector value'.
;)

Yowza
August 27, 2004, 04:34 PM
Don't have any plans to do so, but if I had to get rid of one gun it would be my Beretta Tomcat. I don't really have much use for it and I don't ever fire it.

Rick

Dead
August 27, 2004, 06:54 PM
I can not sell a gun, I would rather sell the clothes off my back to buy a gun... (then I could sell it) ;)

Tom Servo
August 27, 2004, 08:21 PM
So, now I'm stuck with a Lorcin. I'd have to pay someone to take it off my hands, so I'll just keep it locked up in the safe where it can't be seen.
Are you kidding? That's the quintessential drop gun! "No, officer, he came at me with....um...this!"

I've got my boss' RG 22 revolver (which I refuse to give back in case he's tempted to use it in self-defense) that I can't even GIVE away. It's kinda nice having what may be the most atrociously bad firearm in history. Seriously, I've NEVER gotten it to fire two rounds consecutively. Someone suggested selling it in one of those goofy "buy-back" programs, but this thing's such a stinker I just keep it around for comedic value.

PlayTheAces
August 27, 2004, 08:42 PM
I was all set to cry "Get rid of a gun???????"

Then I remembered that somewhere in the rearmost reaches of my safe, I have a classic, low mileage, pre '68 gun act, Tanfoglio Targa in .380.

I could probably let that baby go, if push came to shove....................

Yup, that would be the one. :)

cratz2
August 27, 2004, 10:14 PM
Well, the gun I have the least interest in keeping is a Jennings 'Bryco 38' 380. But I'd never put that on anyone even for free. :p

I have a three screw Single Six that's been converted to the transfer system and it only has the 22 Mag cylinder. I woulnd't be heartbroken if I had to get rid of it. And I have a S&W 22A that has never impressed me though it is accurate and reliable. The slide stop spring has lost its springiness. I could get rid of it and not lose any sleep. Actually, my goal is to get the 22A fixed, sell it and buy the Cadet conversion for my PCR.

Old Dog
August 28, 2004, 12:15 AM
My Glock ... the only gun I have that I never am compelled to get into the safe and visit if I haven't seen it for a while ... On the other hand, my 1911s ... ah, they stir the soul, and like fine paintings, must be taken out and viewed (well, and fired, of course) on a regular basis ...

Dienekes
August 28, 2004, 01:32 AM
Shiloh Sharps #3 in .45-70 with Axtell long range windage adj. rear tang and windage adj. globe front. Have had it for 25 years now, less than 100 rds through it and probably less than 20 in the last ten years. One of those things that you salivate over that somehow never catches fire when you finally own it.

My daughter loves the Matthew Quigley movie and would hurt me if I ever sold it out from under her--so it stays (safely) in the safe.

OTOH I have worn the barrel out on a favorite Garand and it will be going into the shop for a new Barnett before long.

The last gun thrown overboard was a Glock 17. Traded it straight across for two nice Security Sixes and got the best of the deal.

Valkman
August 28, 2004, 01:41 AM
I have a American Bulldog .38 revolver that must be 60 years old. I think it was a POS even then, and it's broke now. Second would be the Pro Ordnance Carbon 15 .223 pistol, but I paid way too much for it in CA and would take a bath on it.

sfhogman
August 28, 2004, 02:18 AM
Totally non-functional and useless Hopkins and Allen suicide special from the early 1900s. Nickel plate on one side, rust on the other. Looks to be a .32(?). Needs a trigger return spring to seem functional.

And yet, there it is, parked in my gun locker....

Jeff

Red Tornado
August 28, 2004, 03:11 AM
Probably the Mosin Nagent 91/30...if I had to. But then I'd undoubtedly use the money to start a fund for a 1903 to accompany the Garand. Using the same ammo would just be one of the advantages.;)
RT

pbman
August 28, 2004, 03:19 AM
My RG-38 Its missing a cylinder latch, but it shoots.

And no i didn't buy it a friend dumped it off on me, along with two boxes of shells, i tryed to take just the shells, but it was a package deal.

Lt. G
August 28, 2004, 03:54 AM
Tiny Taurus 22 with a tilt up barrel. Thats it.

sadp40
August 28, 2004, 10:42 PM
in .32 s&w long. nickel plated snubbie. why? cause its a 32 long and it costs too much too shoot it. and well i have a davis d-32 derringer that isnt worth anything but it shoots well and is prettty accurate at 15-2o ft. and its very pretty nickel with rosewood grips.

TNT
August 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
Remington 522 Viper in 22lr. I guess I keep it around to remind me of what a real POS is.:rolleyes:

tcsd1236
August 29, 2004, 09:21 AM
Of the guns that you currently own, which is the one you would part with first, and why?

A Grendel 380 I bought right after they came out; was right after my first divorce,I needed a smaller off duty gun and that was about all I could afford at the time.

The company has long since gone out of business, the gun was breaking about every 50 rounds when I would fire it, and now it lives in the gun safe permanently taped up and used as a training gun.

Dionysusigma
August 29, 2004, 07:03 PM
Winchester 1911SL. Worst design of an autoloading shotgun ever. Never fired by me. Never will.

The funds involved would go toward amending the mistake I made when I traded my M44 for it. :mad:

sendec
August 29, 2004, 07:49 PM
Already gone, but I felt guilty getting money for it. I swear the trigger was 37 pounds.

With that exception, I have never let a gun go that I havent regretted, and in some cases, bought back or again, and always at a loss.

CleverNickname
August 29, 2004, 10:36 PM
I honestly don't have any guns that I'd really like to get rid of. I've only ever sold one gun, a jam-o-matic Keltec P32. If someone put a gun to my head (haha), and forced me to sell one that I currently own, I'd probably sell my DSA STG58 and put the money towards a post-sunset DSA Para FAL.

MICHAEL T
August 30, 2004, 12:48 AM
Llama mini max jams at least twice every mag most days. Now and then will surprise you and shoot 1or 2 mags no problem Can't even pawn it were I live. There smart enough not to take them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Gun Would You Get Rid Of?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!