how to become a liscenced manufacturer?


February 19, 2003, 10:05 PM
What is the process for one to become a liscenced (Class II, I believe) manufacturer?


Every once in a while, I see a post about how a dremel tool can effect some cool change in a firearm, magazine, or whatever. Unfortunately, alot of these 'simple' modifications are illegal unless you are liscenced to make new high-capacity magazines, or full autos, or other banned toys.

Once, I wondered if there was a more expeditious way to purchase a firearm. There is! And I soon had a C&R liscence.

So what is the process for becoming a manufacturer? is it easy like the C&R? or is it a major pain?
do you actually have to make anything, or can you just have it in case you decide to, i dunno, weld two AK's together to make a gatling gun (insert your own dumb example here.)

And note to any who care: I dont own an AK, not do i own welding equipment. I don't know how to weld. Truthfully, i dont even care too much to own an AK. All better.


If you enjoyed reading about "how to become a liscenced manufacturer?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 19, 2003, 10:18 PM
It is a major pain. You can download the application from the atf web site. Read it and discover all of the pitfalls and fees. It isn't easy, or everybody would do it.

February 20, 2003, 06:50 PM
Becoming a manufacturer is a very complex and expensive process. You cannot just get the license and then start tinkering with your guns. You have to actually HAVE a business, including local and state licenses, a business address, tax records, insurance and much, much more. You will most likely have to hire a lawyer to explain all of the legal requirements. One little boo-boo can land you in jail for a long time.

And even then, you cannot simply start converting your semiautos into machineguns.

February 20, 2003, 08:10 PM
Well, that settles it: i just need to become fabulously rich so i can move to a more American state, then spend way too much on all the overpriced stuff that's currenty available.
Hey, it could happen.

February 20, 2003, 09:51 PM
what about getting a license to manufacture semi-autos?

February 21, 2003, 07:51 PM
You can manufacture non-regulated firearms for personal use without having any federal license or approval. Local and state laws may have some restrictions.

From ATF's FAQs.

QUESTION: (A7) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

ANSWER: With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency. [18 U.S.C. 922(o),(r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

You can make NFA firearms (other than machineguns) by filing an ATF Form 1, paying the appropriate tax and getting approval prior to beginning construction.

If you enjoyed reading about "how to become a liscenced manufacturer?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!