Any links to a rifle stock for a Ruger Blackhawk?

PDA

41mag
August 28, 2004, 03:09 PM
I know that it would become a SBR.I also know that without a forend it might be a bit awkward.Then,there's the flash-gap to keep in mind.

Still & all,I've seen pics of revolvers(old pics)with,removable, heavy wire butstocks.I'm interested in having one myself.I feel it'd look right at home on a 10.5in Super Blackhawk.

Any insight,links,expierience?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any links to a rifle stock for a Ruger Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
August 29, 2004, 11:56 PM
I know of no one making a stock for any cartridge revolver, mainly due to the law. Once you get approval of an application to make a SBR, maybe a Class 3 manufacturer could make one. I am not sure an ordinary gunsmith can legally make the stock, since it would have to be fitted to the gun.

In any event, I have shot a fair number of stocked pistols, and it is not all it is cracked up to be. Even with a long barrel and long stock, the muzzle ends up too close to the face. With a stocked "red nine" Mauser C96, a stocked BHP, or a stocked .45 auto, good hearing protection is not enough; with .44 Magnum, I think it would be hard to prevent hearing damage. FWIW, it sounds like fun until you really experience it. You can try the idea out simply by shooting the Super Blackhawk with your arm held as if there were a stock there (watch the recoil!), or by using a piece of flat aluminum bent so you hold it to the grip at one end and have a buttplate at the other. (This is legal, as there is no mechanical attachment.)

If you make the stock long enough to bring the pistol to arms length, then you really have a rifle length gun and there is not much advantage.

Jim

James Bondrock
August 30, 2004, 12:05 AM
I don't want the cylinder blast quite that close to my face. :eek:

41mag
August 30, 2004, 02:25 PM
Well,I already know that it wouldn't be practical.:D

Jim,I'll try a makeshift stock just for grins to see just how bad it could be.

I just can't get the vision of a 10-12in polished octagon barreled stainless single action w/faux ivory stocks & an attatched,polished stainless buttstock out of my head.

I can also see the same gun blued w/brass frame & buffalo stocks.

It's funny how some people want hundred round magazines,others,something else entirely.:)

Jim Watson
August 30, 2004, 05:26 PM
Every once in a while somebody shows up at a CAS match with one of those revolving carbines, 16" barrel and permanent stock on a Remington action, usually. Seldom see it the second time around. They ain't much punkin.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any links to a rifle stock for a Ruger Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!