Anyone know what kind of soldier this would be carrying an M14?

PDA

Das Pferd
August 28, 2004, 05:51 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040827/capt.mac11508272040.iraq_mac115.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040827/capt.mac11408272014.iraq_mac114.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know what kind of soldier this would be carrying an M14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Satch
August 28, 2004, 06:14 PM
Probably a Sniper. The M14 is a good sniper rifle for shorter range targets.
Look close at the picture and you can make out what looks like a scope or maybe a Reddot.

reagansquad
August 28, 2004, 06:23 PM
I know the seals still use them for stuff... not that that is a seal.

ACP230
August 28, 2004, 06:37 PM
The Designated Marksman?

mete
August 28, 2004, 07:09 PM
A smart soldier !

orangeninja
August 28, 2004, 07:13 PM
From what I have been told, certain Ranger units have squad snipers. Given the urban enviroment, snipers have played a BIG role in Iraq. He is probably either a squad or company short to medium range sniper.

I know a couple of guys from Iraq.

MrMurphy
August 28, 2004, 07:45 PM
Squad designated marksman..... most of them have M14s with an ACOG mounted. Guys in the Rangers, 101st, 82nd etc have been getting them, as well as the Stryker people.

The Texas State Rifle Association ran a class instructing these guys here in San Antonio at Camp Bullis, people from Fort Hood. All of the instructors were high-end rifle shooters, top of the list high-power competitors, etc.

Shovelhead
August 28, 2004, 08:22 PM
A friend of mine just finished outfitting a bunch of M-21s for ANG to use in the sandbox.
He had a tough time finding the necessary parts, due to the military supply not stockling stuff like that anymore.

Ed

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m21snip.jpg

spartacus2002
August 28, 2004, 09:34 PM
Soldier of Fortune magazine just had an article about TSRA training 1CAV soldiers on M14s.

Blackcloud6
August 28, 2004, 10:05 PM
Yep, the Designated Marksman.

Stand_Watie
August 28, 2004, 11:35 PM
One of our moderators, I can't remember which, but I think he goes by MadOgre on his website had this on his blog. Pretty cool huh? Texas civilians training army squad designated marksmen. The story is on page 10. I'm pretty proud to have guys like this living in my neck of the woods..

http://www.tsrapac.org/Vol_36_3.pdf

TSRA Rifle Team
Members Train
Army Marksmen

TSRA Rifle Team Teaches Army Squad
Designated Marksmen at Camp Bullis

In early March this year, a group of Texans
gathered at a hotel in San Antonio. They
included a John Deere employee, a Dallas
Motorcycle Policeman, a TXU chemist,
a retired Chief Warrant Officer, a
photographer, the owner of an
insurance company, and others. At
the request of the US Army, these
men had taken two weeks of unpaid
vacation away from their jobs and
families to teach the first-ever class
of what would become known as
Squad Designated Marksmen (SDM)
in the US Army.

In the weeks before they gathered, these
men developed a curriculum for
SDM. M14 rifles were pulled from
the storage depot in Anniston,
Alabama and shipped to Texas.
Orders were issued designating the
group Volunteer Military Instructors
(VMI). Army personnel scheduled
classroom space and range time, and
located ammo. ...

joe sixpack
August 28, 2004, 11:50 PM
Read the article, good stuff.

Had a chance to shoot an unscoped m14 this last week, not an experienced shooter, but the rifle was accurate and easy to hit tgts with.

cheers, ab

Das Pferd
August 29, 2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

moa
August 30, 2004, 12:46 PM
M14 is a great rifle in my book. When I was in the Army, I could easily hit half man size targets out to 300 meters with iron sights. And I did not consider myself much of a shot. Only took nine rounds to sight in at 25 meters. Three three inch groups to zero in.

One thing I noticed quite a bit in the news from Iraq, is the militants are using long barrel, scoped rifles. Seems like the instances are increasing.

molonlabe
August 30, 2004, 12:53 PM
Any soldier who needs to reach out and touch someone.:D

Satch
August 30, 2004, 05:47 PM
The interesting thing about this is the AK-47 and M16 etc. were developed for assulte and fast attack warfare. And hear we are it seams going back to long rifle training for a enemy that hides and snipes at us and again long range Markmanship is becoming more important than spray and pray.

FRIENDLY
August 30, 2004, 07:13 PM
This sounds familiar - accurate medium to long range fire tactics sounds like what was taught several generations ago.I think the expression is everything old is new again

MrMurphy
August 30, 2004, 08:09 PM
Warfare has moved back from huge masses of armor (WW2 tactics) with infantry hitting hard and fast at close range, to infantry on foot, working through urban terrain, where a long rifleman can come in handy. Not necessarily for every man, but one per squad could be handy. Most of the work is still under 50 yards.

Burt Blade
August 30, 2004, 08:52 PM
A well set-up M-14 is a precision weapon that can easily deliver hits on a man-sized target at 600 yards.

Civilian versions (the Springfield M1A, for example) are routinely usd in the National matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. (200, 300, and 600 yards. teh 600 yard X ring is six inches across)

Add a scope,and it is just not the bad guys day anymore....

El Tejon
August 30, 2004, 10:57 PM
My Wing Chun instructor carried an M14 (EBR setup) in Afghanistan; he's SF. Those guys don't look SF though.:scrutiny:

DF357
August 31, 2004, 02:16 PM
When I was in, most every kind of soldier carried an M14... or wished he did.

I've fired a lot of rifles over the years but never shot anything any better than an M14... I've got my expert marksmanship medal to prove it.

JamisJockey
August 31, 2004, 03:10 PM
The Marine Corps is fielding M14's in some ground units in a designated marksman role. In concept, similar to attaching a sniper to a squad, by providing someone who can deliver accurate long range fire.
In addition, some special ops units field the M14.

ZeroX
August 31, 2004, 04:35 PM
A smart soldier !

Here here!

Waitone
August 31, 2004, 05:07 PM
I listened to a report concerning some of the recent action in Iraq. The reporter was baffled (imagine that) when a column of US troops would be engaged with a flurry of RPG's and auto weapon fire, and the US would respond with several single shots as opposed to hosing down the area.

ClonaKilty
August 31, 2004, 05:47 PM
Dang mete, ya beat me to it! "A smart soldier" indeed!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know what kind of soldier this would be carrying an M14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!