Stupid newbie case prep question

PDA

gdragon34
August 28, 2004, 08:04 PM
Got my C&R and I'm putting together my Midway order right now.

I know I need a primer pocket uniformer, do I also need a primer pocket cleaner or are they the same thing? A quick answer would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid newbie case prep question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
August 28, 2004, 08:09 PM
IMO 2 things are worth getting ....

1] A primer pocket reamer ... I use a Lee, double ended for large and small .. in fact it does not ''ream'' so much as just scrape out ... leaves pocket ready for priming

2] Primer pocket chamfer tool .. also Lee I use .. just like a small countersink tool ... and I run mine in cordless drill at low speed. Just a touch will chamfer pocket edge and get rid of any crimp marks .. plus a small chamfer makes for easier primer insertion anyways.

HTH.

Standing Wolf
August 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
Uniformers and cleaners aren't exactly the same thing; a uniformer, however, will clean a primer pocket.

Truth to tell, you can load a lot of ammunition without doing anything to primer pockets. It's not the way to prepare pockets for bench rest shooting, but for ordinary shooting, as long as pockets look reasonably clean and primers go in to the proper depth, all will be well.

gdragon34
August 28, 2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reponses. They're mainly for a .22-250 and a .220 Swift which are being unsed at long range and every little bit helps.

I did some searching and I am decviding to go with the Lyman tools. I'm getting a uniformer and a cleaner for a total of $14.

Sunray
August 29, 2004, 12:57 AM
What's a C&R got to do with it? You really don't need a uniformer for commercial brass. Read your manual before you do anything. Relax. The absolute worst thing you can do is to load fast when you're new. No powder throwers until you have developed a load. Keep meticulous records of what load, with what components. Load one calibre at a time. Work up a load for said calibre and for one rifle. Relax, it's not going to be taken away from you. And welcome to the world of having the best ammo for your rifle. If you have any questions, ask. Just don't ask about pet loads. That doesn't work.

Blackcloud6
August 29, 2004, 09:09 AM
You may need a primer pocket swager if you are going to reload milsurp brass as they usally have a crimp for the primer. It needs to be removed so you can put in another primer.

You don't need to do anything else to the primer pocket unless you are making precison ammunition as mentioned above.

Jaywalker
August 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
I don't use a uniformer or a flash-hole deburrer or anything like that. I do have a flat-bladed screwdriver (just now meassured at 0.203 inches) that fits nicely in the pocket of LR primers that I twist once to loosen the primer residue, which I then tap out on a piece of paper. I don't know if even that's necessary, though.

Jaywalker

Okiecruffler
August 29, 2004, 10:48 AM
What the C&R has to do with it is that Midway, like a few other companies, gives a pretty good discount to people who hold C&R licenses. Evidently we crufflers spend enough money on goodies that we're worth courting.

FWIW, I have a Lee primer pocket cleaner, but I'm going to look for something easier to use. Case prep is starting to get annoying, and that little Lee tool isn't helping.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
August 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
Being a DX all my life has been a cinch and being a Commercial reloader with Star and automated machines and automated bullet casters. I have shot close to a million rounds and have loaded many millions and never cleaned a primer pocket and never will.

To me it is something rifle bench resters do and beginners worry about.

With the thousand or more reloaders I have sold I have advised my customers to load as much of their competitive ammo they can afford under the same temperature conditions. Keep the ammo cool until used. Have every component in large lots of the same lot number of brass, primers, powder, lead bullets of the same hardness then practice, practice then practice some more as the best use of their time.

If however they reach a plateau and their trophy goal is a few points away then worrying about some of the tiny factors might at least give them some more faith in their ammo.

I feel that American GI brass is the best casings made and have bought many tens of thousands of the same maker and year especially in 45acp and I have the best faith it that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid newbie case prep question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!