Yoopers, please help

PDA

jefnvk
August 29, 2004, 03:12 AM
I just moved up here to the UP. Houghton to be exact, and yes, I am now a college student. Anyway, I need some help in finding a gun range in the Houghton area in which I can shoot my toys. It seems that the school only wants me shooting my .22 and handguns on their range. So, any help would be appreciated.

And I also need some fishing and duck hunting spots. but I know that those locations are sometimes more secret than nuclear missle silos :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Yoopers, please help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackcloud6
August 29, 2004, 09:00 AM
Heck, most of the UP is a gun range. There should be plenty of National Forest land to go shoot on.

5ptdeerhunter
August 29, 2004, 11:50 AM
So are you attending Michigan Tech? I was thinking of going there. But I went with a different major. Where do you keep your firearms? Can you keep them in your room or do they have a place for you to lock them up?

jefnvk
August 29, 2004, 12:14 PM
Can you just shoot anywhere on state or national land?

For storage of guns, they have a weapons locker in all of the dorms.

ACP230
August 29, 2004, 01:06 PM
There's a range outside Chassell on the Chassell-Painesdale Road. It's at the Portage Lake Sportsmen's Club.
Probably the closest to you. It used to have student rate memberships and still might. It has .22 silhouette on Thursdays, and IDPA on Tuesdays. There may be a Highpower Rifle Match in October. Sporting Clays and Trap are held on other nights. The range has a pistol pit and a covered pistol and rifle shooting area.

There's another range outside Baraga on M38, at the Ottawa Sportsmen's Club. It has Bullseye Pistol on Tuesday night, Action Pistol on Thursday and Trap some other night. On the last Saturday in September they hold a big Turkey Shoot. There's anything from .22 rifle shooting to a guy with a black powder cannon at that one. Check at www.ottawasportsmen.org for more info. You can just walk in and shoot there too. Not gated.

At Rice Lake, outside Lake Linden, there's a small rifle range. It's $15 a year to join. Trap is on Thursdays. Monday night they shoot military rifles, I hear. It also has a covered firing area.

Lots of the programs end when bird season or bow and arrow deer season starts. IDPA moves to the MTU range for the winter.

There are sandpits here and there where people shoot, but it might be a better idea to join a range.

I have shot pistol caliber carbines and .22 rifles on the range at MTU. It's rated up to 12 gauge shotgun and .44 Magnum pistol.

PM me if you want more info.

Standing Wolf
August 29, 2004, 09:07 PM
I used to shoot with some great folks at the Negaunee Rod and Gun Club. It's probably not convenient to your current location, but if you get over that way, I'm sure you'd be warmly welcomed.

Stand_Watie
August 29, 2004, 10:40 PM

That may not be perfect, but I'd like to know what % of colleges are even that gun friendly. I'll bet it's not very many. That is some gun country up there. I can't recall his name for sure, I want to say Dingell, but they have a congressman who is a Democrat who has been pretty pro gun rights, an almost unheard of animal in the Michigan Democrat party.

SkunkApe
August 29, 2004, 10:43 PM
Can you just shoot anywhere on state or national land?

You can shoot anywhere on state forest land, provided you are shooting at a "identifiable, artifically contructed target". See here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/04_hunt_trap_98042_7.pdf

Its a pdf, so give it time to load.

I'm not sure about national forests. Just call the DNR and ask.

Make sure you have a good backstop.

tanstaafl
August 30, 2004, 09:19 AM
Portage Lake Sportsmens Club (http://www.plsportsmens.org/)

$25/year for students, about 15 minutes from Houghton.

SteveS
August 30, 2004, 10:11 AM
I can't recall his name for sure, I want to say Dingell, but they have a congressman who is a Democrat who has been pretty pro gun rights, an almost unheard of animal in the Michigan Democrat party.

Dingell is pro-gun (and from MI), but is from downstate. The congressional rep. from the UP is Bart Stupak (D) and he received some recognition for "standing up to the NRA" or something to that effect. This was a big deal, since most people in the UP are pro-gun, or at least tolerant towards guns.

Stand_Watie
August 30, 2004, 10:25 AM
Sorry. I knew he was from *waving hand in a vague northward direction* "up there somewhere"

jefnvk
August 30, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks!

I'll be checking out the Portage Lake Sportsmens Club one of these nights. Looks to be exactly what I was looking for.

As for Dingell, he's not my district. I'm still voting in the Midland district, which is represented by Camp, who is 100% against the Brady campaing, according to their website.

And I still need some good fishing spots. Anyone? Anyone at all?

jefnvk
August 30, 2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks!

I'll be checking out the Portage Lake Sportsmens Club one of these nights. Looks to be exactly what I was looking for.

As for Dingell, he's not my district. I'm still voting in the Midland district, which is represented by Camp, who is 100% against the Brady campaing, according to their website.

That may not be perfect, but I'd like to know what % of colleges are even that gun friendly. I'll bet it's not very many. That is some gun country up there.

I agree there. But honestly, I am glad they offer this service. No real room in the dorm rooms for a gun cabinet.

And I still need some good fishing spots. Anyone? Anyone at all?

Nightcrawler
August 31, 2004, 12:13 PM
I belong to the Lake Linden-Hubbell Sportsman's Assoc. The range is kind of out in the boonies. You go through Lake Linden, and turn just past Lakes Dairland Restaurant onto Bootjack Road. You follow this road for awhile, and eventually you'll come to Rice Lake Road. (It's by a lamp post, and you turn left up a hill.) You follow Rice Lake Road all the way down to Rice Lake (about four miles), then go around Rice Lake. Turn right when you get to the gravel road, and the club is on the left.

They shoot M1s on mondays and trap on Thursdays (evenings). Good time to go there, 'cause somebody will be there and you can join. $15.00 a year, though the range gets snowed in in the winter.

Most of the time, if you go, you'll be the only one there. I kind of like it.

Barbara
August 31, 2004, 06:29 PM
Representative Rich Brown is from the western part of the UP and is pro-gun.

SodiumBenzoate
September 1, 2004, 12:38 AM
It seems that the school only wants me shooting my .22 and handguns on their range.

:what:

Your college has a gun range, and lets you keep your own firearms?!

jefnvk
September 1, 2004, 01:44 AM
Never would have believed it, would you?

I love this place. I happen to be at Michigan Tech, and for those of you who dont know Michigan, its on that little point that sticks out north of the UP. I can drive 5 minuets and have nothing but State/Federal land. Lots of fishing and hunting within a few minuets drive :neener:

Schools cool too :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Yoopers, please help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!