What a day! At the Range...

PDA

spin180
August 29, 2004, 06:50 AM
I laughed, I cried... not really, just a wee bit choked up.

Decided to go to the National Forest range nearby with a few friends today. Went through the ordeal of packing guns, ammo, accessories, etc., never thought I'd get it all. Met up with my cohorts and off we went. It was a beautiful day... except for this dark, ominous looking splotch of sky exactly where we were headed. But we drove on. Now mind you, this range is not terribly far away, but it's about a six mile winding road leading to the general area and another 2.5 miles on a rough, curvaceous, gravel road to the range itself; once you get to it, you hate to have to go back without shooting even just a little.

As we arrived at the range, as I had feared, it was slam-packed with shooters. And it was beginning to rain. I really, really didn't want to leave, but the prospects weren't good. But, we stuck it out for a bit and I'm ever so glad we did.

When we walked up to the firing line, I noticed the vast majority of the shooters were kids, ranging in age from about 7 to 13! But get this, they were being overseen by a doctor, yes I just said a doctor, from the local hospital. He was teaching them the fundamentals, safety procedures, etc. They had mostly .22LR rifles and pistols, saw a Ruger Single Six and a Mark II, and a couple were trying out a 1911 and a .357 revolver. They were all actually pretty good shots!

Being there to witness that gave me just the greatest feeling. There's definately hope left.

Anyway, there was also a dog tied to one of the tables there; appeared to be Corgi mix. The dog was really timid and initially distrustful. It seems when the group with the kids got to the range, they found the dog cowering under one of the shooting benches, apparantly pregnant and abandoned. :fire: :cuss: One of the adults gave it some Beenie Weenies, Vienna Sausages and some water which it lapped up readily. We all stood around conversing about its' situation and which of us was going to rescue it, which one of the other folks there did. It was really sad to see the dog there cast out by some uncaring assbag, but it worked out for the positive. Another happy moment! :cool:

By this time, some of the other shooters had cleared out, so we got a spot on the line. It was then I soon discovered the wonderful world of poor man's skeet. One of guys I went with is an avid skeet and clay shooter, of which I was unaware. He'd brought one of the $4.00 boxes of clays Wal-Mart carries and we set out breakin' 'em. Only we didn't have a trap or even one of those nifty plastic throwers. We just threw them out by hand; quite challenging actually! Fun though, particularly because I was using my Remington 870 HD shotgun with the 18" barrel, magazine tube extension and side-saddle carrier. Got a few looks with that and I did pretty good for a first timer! :D

The fourth happy point came when I fired up my Ruger PC9GR w/ cheapie red dot. I tried shooting the Ruger at about 100 yards and much to my amazement I actually made nearly all of my shots hit within about 12 inches of each other, shooting off-hand. I know, not great, but much better than I expected for the setup.

Finally I broke out the AK. I'd been having trouble with a couple of my 20rd. magazines and the everpresent AK trigger slap. A couple days ago, I finally put in some time and worked on the mags. and the trigger group. I was rewarded with flawlessly functioning magazines and best of all... no trigger slap! :evil: :D

So, what I had feared would end up being a wasted trip turned out to be the best day I've had in a long time. Just wanted to share... ;)

BTW, sorry for the length. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "What a day! At the Range..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chevrofreak
August 29, 2004, 07:34 AM
One of the guys I shoot with is a doctor. He shoots limited class in USPSA, and packs a Glock 27. One of the nicest guys I have ever met.

Not all doctors are antigun cowards ;) This is Montana afterall......

Bob R
August 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
This is Montana afterall

That must be it! Where I am in Montana, I work with 2 docs that take their shooting very seriously. Had one over to the house to ogle my milsurps and now we have a multi-gun shootzenfest on tap in the very near future.

bob

Blackcloud6
August 29, 2004, 09:57 AM
Great post!

I think the reason why we havn't lost our guns is because real aAmerican treuly do love thier guns and cherish the right. They are just silent and more concerned with going about their lives, concentrating on what is important. Its the noise making political minorities that casue the problems.

WhiteKnight
August 29, 2004, 04:03 PM
They are just silent and more concerned with going about their lives, concentrating on what is importan

Are you saying 2nd Amendment rights and the support of them are not important? :scrutiny:

Kamicosmos
August 30, 2004, 01:34 PM
edit: Whoops....posted a reply in the wrong thread...that was interesting.

lee
August 31, 2004, 06:10 AM
Years ago (about 30) I used to shoot at an outdoor range and noticed an older gentleman shooting a 1911 .45 at 25 yards, his groups were within 2 inches. He was always using factory ammo and left the brass. I liked the brass part, as it was mine when he left. His shooting was one handed, both right and left, and he shot very casual. he had no "target" guns, just colt govt models with better sights. I finally asked him how he could shoot so good, his reply was" I am a brain surgeon, this keeps my stress level low and helps me keep my hand/eye coordonation...He further stated that if you concentrate on your target and keep all other factors from bothering you, you will hit your target, and clear your mind... Hope this man is still alive when I need surgery......Greg

lee
August 31, 2004, 06:16 AM
Years ago (about 30) I used to shoot at an outdoor range and noticed an older gentleman shooting a 1911 .45 at 25 yards, his groups were within 2 inches. He was always using factory ammo and left the brass. I liked the brass part, as it was mine when he left. His shooting was one handed, both right and left, and he shot very casual. he had no "target" guns, just colt govt models with better sights. I finally asked him how he could shoot so good, his reply was" I am a brain surgeon, this keeps my stress level low and helps me keep my hand/eye coordonation...He further stated that if you concentrate on your target and keep all other factors from bothering you, you will hit your target, and clear your mind... Hope this man is still alive when I need surgery......Greg

ChevellRCR
August 31, 2004, 10:08 AM
We have an emergency room Doctor that is actually a gun dealer.

If you enjoyed reading about "What a day! At the Range..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!