Good TEOTWAWKI Books?

PDA

CWL
February 20, 2003, 12:04 AM
Getting back to reading trashy novels. Just reread "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven & Pournelle after 25 years. It's still a darn good read, hasn't lost anything over time.

Comet hits world, TEOTWAWKI. Holdouts in mountains with guns, survivalists, armed biker gangs, religious fanatics, renegade army units, and cannibals! Gunfighting. What more could one ask for?

Any other good books of this genre? And please don't try to lump Battlefield Earth into this! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Good TEOTWAWKI Books?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReadyontheRight
February 20, 2003, 12:19 AM
"The Stand" by Stephen King is classic TEOTWAWKI, regardless of poor casting in the mini series.

Justin
February 20, 2003, 12:55 AM
I read a book in high school titled 'Alas Babylon' that was about nuclear war between the Russians and the US. I think it was originally written in the 1950's or 60's. It was an entertaining read.

Though, I have to say, given a choice between TEOTWAWKI stories and dystopian stuff, I'd rather go with the dystopia.

Skunkabilly
February 20, 2003, 12:56 AM
Not TEOTWAWKI but Under Siege (no relation to the Seagal movie) and to a lesser extent, America from STephen Coonts are excellent social SHTF novels.

tbotts
February 20, 2003, 01:00 AM
pick up a copy of "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles.

DadOfThree
February 20, 2003, 01:02 AM
I'll second the recommendation on Alas Babylon. It was very good at the time but I'll have to reread it. I read it during high school and my standards have changed a little since then. ;)

DingoDog
February 20, 2003, 01:34 AM
1) Pulling Through by Dean Ing
2) Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein
3) Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
4) Down to a Sunless Sea by David Graham
5) (old standby) On the Beach by Neville Shute

Malone LaVeigh
February 20, 2003, 01:56 AM
Good News by Edward Abbey. A great, but not perfect, dystopian novel.

Matt G
February 20, 2003, 02:09 AM
I just read Alas, Babylon a few months ago. Kind of entertaining, in a prim, 1950's sort of way.

Niven and Pournelle also wrote Footfall, which involves the earth being attacked by a superior-equipped but inferior-intelligence race of elephant-like aliens that throw enormous rocks onto Earth's citys from outer space. Crude but mostly effective, it messes up the climate on Earth and they begin to invade. Nifty space battle in the end, though, with modern or even past technology. Fun part-- when they decide to start attacking the aliens, some guys start shipping in British-made elephant guns in the dead of night by submarine. ;)

Good stuff!

Bostonterrier97
February 20, 2003, 02:12 AM
Alas Babylon
Pulling Though
The Forge of God
War of the Worlds
When the Worlds Collide
Farnhams Freehold

Btennison
February 20, 2003, 04:27 AM
"Out of the Ashes" by William W. Johnstone, available from Barnes & Noble.

Six books in a series, end of the world, heavy para military & weapons, etc.. Excellent read!

Aikibiker
February 20, 2003, 04:37 AM
Another vote for Alas Babylon, it is a great read. Interestingly it is set in the area I have lived in all my life so I can vouch for the accuracy of the geography in the book. I don't know much about the technical details though.

Another rather good book in the genre is Emergence, I wish I could remember the author. The story is about a genius girl that survives WW3 when 99.999% of humanity is killed off. Very little fighting but lots of interesting survival bits. Firearms weren't of much importance to the book as there was no one to shoot really, although a few animals were eaten. It was however an excellent work, the only jarring aspect was it was written as though it were the journal of the protagonist.

For adventure series I would recommend the Deathlands series written under the Gold Eagle owned house name of James Axler. In truth most of the early series was written by a man named Lawrence James who unfortunately died around book 30 or so. Since his passing a series of authors have written with mixed results. However in the last few novels there has been a definite improvement in writing quality if not technical research. (if the main character snicks off the safety on his integrally suppressed SIG P226 one more time I am gonna scream) However the stories are very character driven as well as action packed. In my opinion a cut above typical Gold Eagle fare such as their flagship Mac Bolan novels.

An interesting dystopic piece that I looked at recently was David Brin's Glory Season about a planet run by militant feminists with access to genetic engineering skills and a penchant for keeping the general population at a pre-industrial revolution level of technology. Scary.

Just my humble suggestions.

Deadman
February 20, 2003, 06:27 AM
Er....how about the book of Revelations:confused:

:p

Art Eatman
February 20, 2003, 07:08 AM
I believe David Brin wrote "The Postman".

Dean Ing's triplet; sorry, I'm blanked on the names. (Anything by Dean Ing is good. If you ever find "Soft Targets", grab it.)

Gordon Dickson's "Wolf and Iron".

Another series that's sorta interesting has one "Milo Moray" (or, Morai?) as its lead character. Again, I'm blanked on titles and author. I'm too lazy to do a Search...

I re-read "Alas Babylon" not too long back. Still excellent. I spent three years at the University of Florida, around the time of the writing, and wandered that general area; I can attest to the geography and people.

:), Art

Nanook
February 20, 2003, 08:10 AM
Art, that would be the Horseclans series. Milo Morai is the lead character appearing in most of the books. The author was Robert Adams, who has passed away. There are quite a few books in this series, something like 18 plus a couple of short stories books by other authors set in the Horseclans world. Good stuff.

Emergence is by David R. Palmer, Aikibiker.

Dean Ing's books along these lines: Pulling Through, Wild Country, Soft Targets, and Single Combat / Systemic Shock. I'm not sure if they're in print, but well worth seeking out.

The Out of the Ashes series went way more than six books, over 25 or so. The first ones were the better ones, the later books seemed to run out of steam.

buzz_knox
February 20, 2003, 08:32 AM
The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern. The Freeman by Ahern is also excellent.

Arc Light by Eric Harry deals with some aspects as well. A coup in Russia leads to a nuclear assault on the US.

Or just wait for me to write my book on the same subject. ;)

Greg L
February 20, 2003, 08:58 AM
:mad:

I was getting excited as I was reading through these thinking that one of my favorites wasn't mentioned yet. Leave it to Art to spoil things again. :D

Dickson's Wolf & Iron is good in that he dips into the little things of day to day life that you probably wouldn't think of beforehand. Also it is different from most of the others in the genre in that TEOTWAWKI came about through social collapse rather than an asteroid, disease or nuclear war.

He even shows a use for plastic sheeting, can't remember about duct tape though ;) .

Greg

Elmer Snerd
February 20, 2003, 12:01 PM
The Mabu Archives (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jeffreyschwartz/mabu.html) are humorous posts inspired by some pretentious TEOTWAWKI posts on a survival newsgroup.

Mr. Schwartz's story The Consultant (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jeffreyschwartz/The%20Consultant.htm) is a good SHTBiggerF yarn.

Sprout
February 20, 2003, 12:05 PM
I'll second Brin's "The Postman." Painfully little relation to the Kevin Costner / Tom Petty film by the same name.

bogie
February 20, 2003, 12:34 PM
written under the Gold Eagle owned house name of James Axler. In truth most of the early series was written by a man named Lawrence James who unfortunately died around book 30

In the first few books of the series, I could almost swear that the author was Stephen King - LOTS of references to King stuff...

2dogs
February 20, 2003, 12:37 PM
Not fiction (OK, maybe to some), definately not PC, but sure is an interesting look at the possible future "Balkanization" of America:

Civil War II: The Coming Breakup of America
by Thomas W. Chittum

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0929408179/102-1446300-1567340?vi=glance

Edit: link added

Kaylee
February 20, 2003, 12:53 PM
Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse

Another vote for this one. A previous version is prolly still mirrored on the web someplace as "triple ought" if you want a preview.

Personally, I thought all the paramilitary stuff in it was over the top, but it'll be a delight for the Tactically Minded among us, I think.

(On a side note, I got to tour the area where it takes place last year.. pretty interesting actually *seeing* Troy and Bovill. I kept looking for an old farmhouse with a torn up refridgerator on its side in the front road, but no dice. :p )

Sisco
February 20, 2003, 02:33 PM
If you liked "Lucifers Hammer" you'll really like "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart. You gotta read this one.

Sisco
February 20, 2003, 02:39 PM
Found this after I made the first post.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=126051

braindead0
February 20, 2003, 02:52 PM
I'll second Footfall. I think I've read Footfall and Lucifers Hammer 6 times each ;-)

Loach
February 20, 2003, 05:18 PM
It's been a VERY long time since I read them, but I remember really enjoying the Pelbar Cycle (a series of seven books) by Paul O Williams.
http://www.scifan.com/series/series.asp?SR_seriesid=774

Elmer Snerd
February 20, 2003, 07:15 PM
Amazon Post-Apoc List (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/MJESKYIXCX6/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_1/002-0049072-4513659)

Another (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/3DKG436SUQMEG/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_2/002-0049072-4513659)

yet another (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/3A9MGYNDNN27J/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_3/002-0049072-4513659)

EmptyWorld (http://www.emptyworld.info/index.html), a post-apoc fiction site.

Ian
February 20, 2003, 07:19 PM
I have an archived copy of Triple Ought in MS Word 97 format (810k in size). If anyone wants a copy of it, just send me a PM.

MarineTech
February 20, 2003, 08:48 PM
Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall, and Farnam's Freehold are all excellent books.

You also may want to check out some of the Post Apacalyptic setting mass market paperback series.

The Guardians
Traveler
Wingman

Are some that come to mind.

Dave Markowitz
February 20, 2003, 09:22 PM
Aside from several already mentioned (Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall, Alas Bablyon, The Stand, Triple Ought, Farnham's Freehold) check out David Gerrold's "War Against the Chtorr" series, if you can find it. It isn't finished yet and I wish it would get wrapped up, but it's very good. Gerrold wrote "The Trouble with Tribbles" for the original Star Trek, BTW.

Also, "A Canticle for Leibowitz" is an outstanding post-apocalyptic novel.

DingoDog
February 20, 2003, 09:45 PM
Some additional good ones.

I did like Emergence. Just somehow forgot about it.

The Folks of the Fringe by Orson Scott Card. - Card has some other good ones.

Warrior and Wanderer and Witch by Donald E. McQuinn (3 book series)

I have another, but I can't find it and can't remember the name off hand. Been too long since I read it.

MCNETT
February 20, 2003, 10:00 PM
What does teotwawki stand for?
-Mike

CWL
February 20, 2003, 10:14 PM
The End Of The World As We Know It.

MCNETT
February 21, 2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks!

larry_minn
February 21, 2003, 02:00 AM
The Gardians, The Wingman, only ones I didn't see listed. Both better in high school then now.

Sidetracker
February 21, 2003, 06:41 AM
Check out "Malevile" by Robert Merle.

DamnedDirtyApe
February 21, 2003, 09:19 AM
"On the Beach" by Nevil Schute.

A little old ... sixties, I think. The last vestiges of human civilization left on earth, in Australia.

Australia, because that's the last stop for the worldwide fallout from the nuclear war in the northern hemisphere.

Nothing hokey, no aliens or techno-babble, just a really good read about the last days of some really good people.

I read it every five years or so ... get chilled every time.

beckrodgers
February 21, 2003, 05:28 PM
Thank you Sisco.I tried to post it Earth Abidesbut somehow got distracted, a very good story my copy is a .25$ thrift store version.I read it 4 or 5 yrs ago during my bug book phase. The Hot Zone, Rainbow 6, & Ebola.

beckrodgers
February 21, 2003, 05:36 PM
I know its a movie The Omega Man w/Charlton Heston,good,Iwonder if there is a book. Thanks

Elmer Snerd
February 21, 2003, 08:23 PM
I know its a movie The Omega Man w/Charlton Heston,good, Iwonder if there is a book.

Yes. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

http://www.pamedia.com/books/iamlegend/
http://www.thearnoldfans.com/movies/iamlegend/iamlegend.htm

http://www.pamedia.com/

Stephen Ewing
February 21, 2003, 08:26 PM
Surprised nobody's mentioned the Democratic Party Platform yet.

Steve

larry_minn
February 23, 2003, 03:59 PM
Just read the Consultant what was there. Where does a person get the entire story? Not a bad story and I like the Beast. :) Anyone know where the ending is?

Strzelec
February 24, 2003, 02:02 AM
May I suggest a couple of additional Heinlein books for your reading pleasure. :)

Tunnel in the Sky - short term survival test goes bad

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

The latter is not a TEOTWAWKI novel, but this tale of revolution in the pursuit of freedom has a lot of food for thought.

ahadams
February 24, 2003, 07:15 PM
you might consider Stanislaw Lem's NOTES FOUND IN A BATHTUB. Lem was (is? dunno if he's still alive) an Eastern Bloc sci fi writer who actually managed to get some stuff published in the west during the cold war. Not the easiest reading, as I recall, but the idea is that the notes are those found in excavation of the ruins of the pentagon following a teotwawki war, basically reflecting the bureaucrats attempts to keep the place running in spite of reality. Though many of us veterans think that happens to be what's been going on for a long time now! :D

Carbon_15
February 25, 2003, 12:44 AM
I read a book in high school titled 'Alas Babylon'
I remember that book, it was a great read when I was 14. I'm going to have to pick up a copy and see if its still entertaining. You should also check out The Harry Turtledove "World War" series. Not exactly post-apocolyps, but definatly TEOTWAWKI.

larry408
February 25, 2003, 06:28 PM
Btennison
QUOTE]"Out of the Ashes" by William W. Johnstone, available from Barnes & Noble Six books in a series, end of the world, heavy para military & weapons, etc.. Excellent read![/QUOTE]

This series has over 24 books now.

PageField
February 25, 2003, 06:38 PM
I walked out of "The Postman" at the theatre, after listening to the tapes. Time now to read the book!

utahminirevolver
September 17, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm on the last twenty pages of "Invasion USA" by William W. Johntone published 2006. It's a very well-written story about illegal immigration, Mara Salvatrucha, the treasonous ACLU, and a heroic Vietnam vet who takes a stand.

jagdpanzer347
September 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
Another vote for Patriots, really enjoyed it. Also really like The Omega Man, although I haven't read I Am Legend yet, it's on my list. As a side note, there is supposed to be a movie version of I Am Legend coming out in 2007. Starring Will Smith. I personally think Nick Cage would have been a better choice, but I am still looking forward to it. Always thought there should have been a modern re-make of The Omega Man.

-jagd

kahr404life
September 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
Just saving the thread!

craig
September 17, 2006, 03:04 PM
one i always liked was Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon

mogunner
September 17, 2006, 03:16 PM
The entire "Ashes" series by William Johnstone. There are over 20 books that comprise the series, however, "Out of the Ashes" and "Fire in the Ashes" the first 2, are definitely TEOTWAKWI. Available on e-bay and amazon.com.

telomerase
September 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
1984 by Orwell, We The Living by Rand, the Patriot Act by a bunch of Administration staffers. That's the real EOTWAKWI, not a bunch of fantasies about camping and fishing with your post-Apocalyptic vampire babe.

Barbara
September 17, 2006, 05:36 PM
The New Madrid Run, which is about the next quake set off by the New Madrid Fault in Missouri.

The story is fiction, but the fault is not and the situation may not be. The last really big quakes, a series in 1811-1812, are estimated to have been about 8.0, and rang bells in Boston and caused the Mississippi to run backwards.

The problem will be that while San Francisco is pretty prepared for a large quake, Memphis, Little Rock, St. Louis, etc. are not.

http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/public/facts_long.shtml
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/00/newmadrid104.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

22-rimfire
September 17, 2006, 07:04 PM
Since it has not been listed: "Dies The Fire" and "The Protector's War" by S.M. Stirling. The last in the series is out now in hard back. Should be available in about a year in soft back.

gunsmith
September 17, 2006, 07:07 PM
Alas Bablyon, I read it at least 50 times as a kid, then to my surprise
it was on a list of books the cute girl across the street had to read in high school.....she got very high marks in my book and , though she never read Alas...she got an A in her report about it:cool:

I remember o good book but can not remember the author or title...Niven maybe?

about a family in Northern CA that leads the resistance against an alien "wierd"
take over ...

ksnecktieman
September 17, 2006, 07:35 PM
I think the "Ashes" series by W.W. Johnstone ran over 100 books, after the first ten they got a little over the top for me. But, I did like the first ten.

My vote is for Vernor vinge, and the books "Marooned in Real Time" and "The Peace War". Both are based on a machine that creates a "bobble" inside of which everything stops, even time.

I also liked Hienlien's books about Lazarus Long, and his family of long lifers, though it does not totally fit this class.

jerkface11
September 17, 2006, 07:36 PM
I remember o good book but can not remember the author or title...Niven maybe?

about a family in Northern CA that leads the resistance against an alien "wierd"
take over ...

That sounds like "the alien years" by Robert Silverberg

Another good one is "Eternity Road" by Jack Mcdevitt
And "Aftermath" and it's sequal "Starfire" by Charles Schefield

xd9fan
September 17, 2006, 09:10 PM
TEOTWAWKI?????
moron here wondering what this means?
Sorry I'm watching too much Barney and Jay Jay and Jet plane videos for the kids lately.....

mrmeval
September 17, 2006, 09:25 PM
Signal to Noise (http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Shattered-Eric-S-Nylund/dp/038079294X/sr=1-3/qid=1158542127/ref=sr_1_3/104-6519110-5252745?ie=UTF8&s=books)

and

A Signal Shattered (http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Shattered-Eric-S-Nylund/dp/038079294X/sr=1-3/qid=1158542127/ref=sr_1_3/104-6519110-5252745?ie=UTF8&s=books)

Eric S. Nylund (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Eric%20S.%20Nylund&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/104-6519110-5252745)

Who I see has other books out now.

geim druth
September 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
I can think of 2 by Roger Zelasney.

'This Immortal' and 'Damnation Alley'

There was a movie of Damnation Alley, the book is much better. 'This Immortal' is very good.

I vaguely remember another movie of 'I Am Legend' in black and white.

telomerase
September 17, 2006, 10:03 PM
My vote is for Vernor Vinge, and the books "Marooned in Real Time" and "The Peace War". Both are based on a machine that creates a "bobble" inside of which everything stops, even time.

Those are good. His "A Fire Upon The Deep" is even better, dealing with TEOTGAWKI (The End Of The Galaxy As We Know It).

Fu-man Shoe
September 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'll second the call for "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon.

A very entertaining read. There are numerous similarities to
Stephen King's "The Stand", yet "Swan Song" was written
two years earlier. I have always thought it is quite likely that
Mr. King was very much influenced by this author.

Read it for yourself and see...It's obscure, but it's a good one.

zoom6zoom
September 17, 2006, 11:52 PM
Some really good and familiar titles on this list.
'Alas Babylon' - still a good read for a book that was published in 1959. I've worn out two copies. Nice to see so many familiar with it - a lot of people I've talked books with don't know it.

Recently re-read Wolf and Iron as well.

If your only exposure to The Postman was the movie, read the book. Brin is one of my favorite authors - his Uplift Wars series has some good action as well.

Srigs
September 18, 2006, 12:24 AM
War Day is a darn good and interesting book! We have an old copy in hard cover.
Patriots
Log on to Frugal's and check out the E-stories for a ton like Lights Out and Pax Americania.

USMCRotrHed
September 18, 2006, 12:59 AM
From Daniel to Doomsday
Jerusalem Countdown

GW
September 18, 2006, 02:38 AM
Shiva Descending by Greg Benford

gunsmith
September 18, 2006, 02:45 AM
"The Alien Years"

No wonder I never find it under Niven.

I liked "Eternity Road" a whole bunch except for
Christianity not surviving.

lathedog
September 18, 2006, 04:57 AM
SciFan.com has theme pages that list books of a similar theme:
http://www.scifan.com/themes/themes.asp?TH_themeid=9
Some of the theme pages have overlap.

Alas, Babylon is one of the best books on the subject I have ever read, in terms of well written story, and strangely is the only book Pat Frank wrote (at least under that name?)

A slightly different theme is the time-displacement or what have you where the folks in the story get "sent" elsewhere or elsewhen. These are good competitiors to the TEOTWAWKI.

Eric Flint's 1632 series is quite good. Lots of gun action in a SHTF situation.

Check out the Baen free library for free downloadable e-versions of books. I started reading these on my palm PC instead of carrying a paper book around. I am a big fan of this method for many reasons: size of package, page forward by hitting a button with the thumb, many books on one small SD or CF card, backlit screen, etc.

My other pick would be the Left Behind series. They are absolutely Christian content all the way, but I found them to be equivalent to many secular books (sci-fi, etc) in quality of storyline. I'm not evangelizing, by the way, so easy on the flames if you aren't interested. No pun intended.

I'll probably think of more after I hit the "submit" button. Funny how that happens.

silverlance
September 18, 2006, 07:02 AM
while you're doing that, read "SURVIVAL" from the US army publications. i got one as a gift from a vet now in the sandbox. 357pages, lots of color illustrations. teach you how to get water out of the desert.

i loaned mine out ... never got it back.. stupid me... i just bought a new one a few days ago from (of all palces) midway usa. with the dealer discout it came out to about 3 dollars.

roo_ster
September 18, 2006, 11:34 AM
The
End
Of
The
World
As
We
Know
It

Rumble
September 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
Warday, by Whitely Streiber and James Kunetka. It was odd...not exactly exciting, but I found it interesting and a little depressing, kind of like the movie "The Day After."

On the Beach, by Nevil Shute. Moving. Sad. Not particularly tactical, but good nonetheless.

The normal cluster will get a +1 from me: The Stand, Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall,, and so on.

ilbob
September 18, 2006, 11:55 AM
pick up a copy of "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles.

The first half of the book is very well written and while it tends toward blatant advertising for now obsolete products, it is quite readable.

The second half is just plain silly (but quite readable), and IMO amounts to a childish fantasy about the effectiveness of leaderless resistance.

The almost continuous religious overtones might put off people who are not so inclined.

The political and religious views of the author seriously undermine the book at times.

ilbob
September 18, 2006, 11:58 AM
I think the "Ashes" series by W.W. Johnstone ran over 100 books, after the first ten they got a little over the top for me. But, I did like the first ten.

Yep. Plus some of the sexual stuff got out of hand.

Jerry Ahern's "Survivalist" series started out pretty solid and got more and more outlandish to the point where it was almost unreadable. Sort of like when Stargate SG1 started relying more and more on "ascension" as a plot device and getting away from the action.

Shanghai McCoy
September 18, 2006, 01:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged is a good choice to see how it can happen from within,so to speak...JMHO
There is not a lot of gunplay but guns are carried by the heros and heroine in the book.

GEM
September 18, 2006, 01:27 PM
World War Z by Brooks - a great, realistic battle against world wide zombies. Just out and bought it Saturday.

Great fun.

I like zombies and aliens and nukes better than political civil wars - too depressing. Zombies are more fun.

rmmoore
September 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
The previously mentioned "America, The Coming Collapse", by James Wesley Rawlins (?) is an excellent read. Ohhh, it has the prerequisite survivalist strong hold in the mountains, ect., ect., ect. But, what's more, it actually has a build up to the "Balloon" that has a very erie "modern day" feel to it. The collapse of Wall Street predicated by a weakened dollar among other things, with a domino effect into economic chaos. It's not too far fetched folks!!!! You may have to dig around to find a copy, but I assure you it will be worth your time. If you're disappointed, I'll buy it from you. Oh yeah, it's subtitled "The End of the World As We Know It", hence the commonly refered to group of subject matter, TEOTWAWKI. Another fairly good read, if for no other purpose than a fictious roller coster ride, is "The Survivalist" series by Jerry Ahern. I do find the earlier volumes to be somewhat better than the latter ones. Another series I believe Mr. Ahern is also the author of is called "The Mercenary". While I understand the "delicate" nature of mentioning such a series on this particular site, it is nonetheless good reading material. happy reading :D.

rmmoore
September 18, 2006, 03:35 PM
I stand corrected, it is "Patriots, Surviving The Coming Collapse" by James Wesley Rawles. :o

dave5339
September 18, 2006, 10:36 PM
Tagging for reference as all my favorites are already mentioned.

Semper Fi

Logan5
September 18, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm a big fan of Michael Z Williamson's work, Freehold and The Weapon are really thought provoking quasi distant future TEOTEWAKI novels, much like Niven's The Prince, etc. The core is relevant to people today, although they are also fine science fiction novels, much like classic Heinlein.
Post apocalypse as a theme for novels kind of went out in the early 90's, and back in the 80's most of it was no better than Deathlands, which as a Gold Eagle imprint has suffered mightily, starting off well, morphing into the post apoc equvalent of your "adult western" and now fighting for footing as legitimate lower tier science fiction.
Lucifer's Hammer is a classic, and I've managed to aquire a used hardcover to keep.
There's one I can't remember, about a charter captain on a trimaran who escapes DC after a nuclear attack, and eventually they end up somewhere in South America... We had it on the boat when I was part of a charter crew in the 80's, and it really depressed me.

simon
September 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
"Patriots, Surviving The Coming Collapse" by James Wesley Rawles

Mr. Rawles is a member over at FALFILES, and will sell you a copy.
I got mine from him at a local gunshow,autographed.

rustymaggot
September 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
book called 'virus'.

spoilers below!!!!!!!

about computer guided lazer satalites with ai. usa controled em untill someone put a bug in em and the ai decided that any flying manmade object over 2 meters in length was a potential threat to it. so it shot down every aircraft on earth with its lazers and kept em all grounded permanently. strange book.

rmmoore
September 20, 2006, 12:53 AM
Another absolutely GREAT read is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. This book is a work of fiction, unfortunately to some of us and fortunately for others. However, it does use some factual history as part of the storyline. Be warned, it's BIG; @8.5"x11"x2" and it becomes EXTREMELY difficult to put down the more you read. The storyline is based on the life of a man (Henry Bowman) beginning in early childhood and the government abuses he witnesses as he matures. Finally, as an adult, he draws a line in the sand, and makes a stand. Although a work of fiction, most of this book "could be" pulled from todays headlines. It's truly THAT good folks!!!!!!! You will be angered, saddened, supportive, sickened, happy, righteous, and feel violated yourself by the time you finish. If you only read one more book this year, make it this one. Just for you doubters and flamers; NO, I do not work for, nor receive any compensation in any way, shape, form or fashion for my recommendation. My "payment" if you must, is knowing this is being read and the ideas in it are being shared. Read on; God Bless America and all the Henry Bowman's in it :D

ksnecktieman
September 20, 2006, 02:14 AM
rmmoore,,, I really hope that that book becomes what I thought the first time I read it,,, "THIS LOOKS LIKE FUTURE HISTORY IN THE WORLD i WANT TO LIVE IN"

What a wonderful world, if we had a few Henry Bowmans in it.

MaterDei
December 31, 2006, 07:17 AM
I just finished Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank and enjoyed it immensely. I think the next book in this genre that I'll read is going to be Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein. I've really enjoyed the other Heinlein books that I've read and want to give this one a shot.

Travis McGee
December 31, 2006, 08:01 AM
UtahMiniRevolver: Bill Johnstone, author of the "Ashes" novels, died a few years ago. His publisher is "keeping him alive" to continue his "brand" with new fiction written by house authors.

kahr404life
December 31, 2006, 08:57 AM
Tag:D

zastros
December 31, 2006, 09:20 AM
The black and white version of "The Omega Man" or "I am Legend" was "The Last Man on Earth" (1964) starring Vincent Price.

I also enjoyed the "Dies the Fire" series by S.M. Stirling. Just try not to pay attention to his photo on the flyleaf. ;) (Though if I judged every book by the pretentiousness of the author's photo, I'd never read anything:rolleyes: )

gunsmith
December 31, 2006, 09:55 AM
I love these kind of books

MechAg94
December 31, 2006, 10:33 AM
Some not quite TEOTWAWKI books.

Orphans of the Sky by Heinlein
March Upcountry by John Ringo starts a good series about soldiers stranded ona strange planet.
Mother of Demons by Eric Flint - about colonists to another planet who find disaster and have to figure out how to survive. Aliens also. :)

Tunnel in the Sky by Heinlein, The Postman, and 1632 are all good reads.

akodo
December 31, 2006, 10:53 AM
okay, not really TEOTWAWKI in the traditional sense but it kinda is.

I am trying to find a series of books I read as a young man, in the mid 80's, height of the cold war.

The basic premise of the books some other government took over and rode roughshod over basic freedoms. They even had spy devices taht were designed to look like robins all around everywhere. People got 're-educated' and certian schoolchildrent went to special programs to teach them to be good little informers, would march around in uniform and be in control of the other kids, etc etc.

Anyways, a kid and a few friends form a resistance cell, and paint resistance symbols around town (white rose) and attempt to subvert the new government in subtile ways, for example, one kid is a photographer and he takes pictures that are double edged for publication in the daily news....like a uniformed person in spotless white gloves pointing at garbage making harried kids pick it up....and behind you can see a white rose spraypainted on the buildings.

Of course, 1 kid has a dad that is in a real resistance cell, and there is always a spot where the adults really need something and the 1 kid overhears it, and the kids for some reason are able to get access to it in some odd way (like the test files are kept in the same room as the blueprints to city hall's old tunnel system...)

so anyone else read thsoe books, anyone else recall what they were called?

rmmoore
December 31, 2006, 03:08 PM
Very glad to see this Thread revived! There are a lot of good books referenced and recommended within. I've encountered a few good ones since my last post here. Try these out: Enemies Foreign and Domestic, and Domestic Enemies, both by Matthew Bracken. Each is an independant work, although it is better to read them "in order" of historical events. EFaD should be first followed by DE. This is another treatise into fiction, which given the Patriot Act among other things, could very well be pulled from todays headlines. Actually, there are several references to modern events found within. Since these books were "written and published" in 2003 and 2006 respectively, there is a chilling "flavor of today" in them. STRONGLY recommend them to anyone who has illusions of the possible outcomes of Anti-Terrorism laws :cuss: !!!!!!
Another book I'm currently reading is Molon Labe, by Boston T. Party. Having just started, it's building up from a slow beginning, but I think it will be worth it. Especially since I live in Wyoming where this book's subject matter is focused :D . Anyone out there finished it?

With the Anti-gun/FREEDOM Dems (not all of them) coming into power this week, it makes these books even more chilling to the core. Remember what the new Speaker of the House, Nancy Poloski, said the day after the elections: "We are ready to Govern." Funny thing, I thought they were elected to SERVE :banghead: . Anyone question what she and her ilk are "preparing" to do??????? And now, they unfortunately have a legacy of power to abuse thanks to the PA and PA-2. I sincerely hope I am mistaken, but I'm not holding my breath!

rmmoore
December 31, 2006, 03:13 PM
Okay, okay. Perhaps I made a slightly premature assumption, the "probable" new Speaker of the House, Nancy Poloski :barf: !!!! I await the flogging.

hoji
December 31, 2006, 04:18 PM
Is WW Johnstone dead? I did not think he was and I did not find anything about it.

As far as post armegeddon stories go, The Stand and Swan Song are very good.

dm1333
December 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
[Since it has not been listed: "Dies The Fire" and "The Protector's War" by S.M. Stirling. The last in the series is out now in hard back. Should be available in about a year in soft back.]

S.M. Stirling also wrote "Adrift on the Seas of Eternity" and two other books whose titles escape me right now. The trilogy chronicles what happened to the people of Nantucket Island during "The Event".

telomerase
December 31, 2006, 05:08 PM
A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge.

Actually more TEOTGAWKI than TEOTWAWKI, but guaranteed to stimulate the mind.

hqmhqm
December 31, 2006, 05:29 PM
Here's a vote against Earth Abides. It had a really stupid main character. The guy was basically a liberal arts major, and had just as much get up and go and practical know how as you would expect. They sat around with their thumbs up their asses while going back to stone age technology.

cookie4u1
December 31, 2006, 05:32 PM
Just want to say thanks for all the new reading ideas. I haven't made it to the library for awhile as I've been reading all the TEOTWAWKI stuff at the Frugal Squirrel website. Enough there to keep you going for a few months.:)

Travis McGee
December 31, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hoji: YES, Johnstone is dead. His publisher has no other "hot" author, and is pulling a Weekend with Bernie scam, producing more novels under his (dead) name, with the knowledge of his $$family$$.

mrmeval
December 31, 2006, 08:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction

Someone has spent an exceptionally long time assembling this list. If it's not complete it's because all the stories preceeding this list were destroyed when Atlantis sank. :neener:

Sportcat
January 1, 2007, 10:13 AM
World War Z by Max Brooks

+1

Rich K
January 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
Survivors, by John Nahmlos.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good TEOTWAWKI Books?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!