FFL....How do I get one?

PDA

Jedi_7.62
August 29, 2004, 03:28 PM
Considering getting an FFL. Was looking at some online auction sites and got the bright idea to save myself some cash on transfer fees ($25 here). I heard somewhere it costs $200. Maybe make a few extra bucks on these auction boards. Not looking to become a dealer or open a store just save a few bucks maybe even make a couple $$.

Just fishing for info.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL....How do I get one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dairycreek
August 29, 2004, 03:40 PM
Run a search on Google for FFL, or federal firearms license. The "fed" sight will give you instructions as to what to do. There are several sights that for a fee ($25.00 or so) that will send you both directions and forms. If you are both careful and persistent it is not a hard thing to do. Just follow the steps and put up with the bureaucratic stuff. Good shooting;)

Hkmp5sd
August 29, 2004, 03:40 PM
Not looking to become a dealer or open a store just save a few bucks maybe even make a couple $$.
You either become a dealer or they don't give you a license. If you get a license and don't deal, they take the license back.

dukeofurl
August 29, 2004, 04:02 PM
ATTENTION GUN NUTS:

"sight" and "site" are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Please make a note of it.

El Tejon
August 29, 2004, 04:45 PM
duke, you and your ejamakashun.:rolleyes: :D

prezzz
August 29, 2004, 09:45 PM
You also must have a legitimate business address. Your home address will not work.

If it were that easy, we all be doing it.;)

Jim K
August 29, 2004, 09:58 PM
I think Jedi is talking or thinking about a Collector's FFL, aka a "curio and relic license". For that you don't need to be in business or have a business address. But you can only buy those items designated as curios and relics; modern guns (not over 50 years old) are a no-no, and your ability to buy, sell or trade even in those items may be restricted by federal or state law.

If one wants a Dealer's FFL, then it is considered a business license and one needs to be in business.

Jim

Jedi_7.62
August 29, 2004, 10:31 PM
Would a curio and relic license allow me to have things sent to me instead of paying someone to be a middle man?

For instance, I buy a new pistol from one of those online auction sites. They say they must ship to an FFL. Would the C&R license allow me to cut out the pointless $25 I have to pay to someone for nothing and have the item sent to my home?

Damn the beurocracy :fire: :cuss: :banghead:

Didn't I read something in school once about a free market economy?

Yeah I think it was right along with the right to keep and bear arms shall NOT BE INFRINGED.

Feels like infringing to me.

Damn beurocrats!

MarkDido
August 30, 2004, 12:20 AM
Having a C&R License (FFL 03) only allows you to order and receive at your home, C&R eligible firearms.

Valkman
August 30, 2004, 12:47 AM
For instance, I buy a new pistol from one of those online auction sites. They say they must ship to an FFL. Would the C&R license allow me to cut out the pointless $25 I have to pay to someone for nothing and have the item sent to my home?

No. As said above it applies only to C&R guns. Getting a 01 FFL and not opening a store was pretty common and I believe ol' Lyin' Bill Clinton cracked down on these so-called "kitchen table" dealers. They took alot of licenses away and raised alot of fees to make it harder to get a license.

Jim K
August 30, 2004, 02:33 PM
Go here to read about the Collectors FFL.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

But note that the Collectors FFL (or any FFL) does not override state or local law. Some states recognize the Collectors FFL (C&R License) when buying or selling C&R items and exempt the holder from some restrictions; other states or localities do not, and the holder of a Collectors FFL is no different legally from any other unlicensed individual.

Jim

Tharg
August 30, 2004, 06:49 PM
Ye haw....

was thinking once i had cash or what not i could get in on some of those deals etc that i've heard others here talk about....

but since i'm not gonna setup a brick and mortar .... then its not gonna happen.

bleh.... i ever mention i really REALLY dislike clinton...?

J/Tharg!

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL....How do I get one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!