stuck in cali please help!

PDA

CBX
August 30, 2004, 03:57 AM
im looking into putting together a cali legal "assault rifle" and want to know what the best bang for the buck is. I know that they make cali legal FAL's and AR-15's and im wondering if they make them for the AK or any other rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "stuck in cali please help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
August 30, 2004, 06:51 AM
Yeah there's cali legal FAL's and AR's, but... they're still not real FAL's and AR's.

I think the closest COOL military style rifle you'll get is the M14/M1A variants. Though they're not really "bang for the buck" it is the only thing left really that hasn't been neutered (except for the select fire :D )

Look into building one. http://www.m-14forum.com/

Dunno bout' Cali legal AK's. Never heard of em'. But still, I want a gun that has pistol grip and a DETACHABLE magazine. Nothing else except what its suppose to be.

Mulliga
August 30, 2004, 08:13 AM
Man, I feel sorry for you guys. I believe the .50 cal ban and the ammo registration bill are headed for Ahnuld's desk. Not much to do now but send him letters, e-mails, and phone calls.

Just pray the Governator vetoes them. :cuss:

railroader
August 30, 2004, 08:42 AM
There are pump ak's that are legal in california. Mark

MrMurphy
August 30, 2004, 09:24 AM
You can get a Keltec SU16, which uses AR mags, and folds in half. Even with 10 shot mags, you can reload quick.

Either that, or a Ruger Mini-14 with a barrel trimmed to 16.25", better iron sights and an extended mag release.

Sven
August 30, 2004, 12:31 PM
My list if money is no object (or you want to get your toys before they ban them):

Springfield M1A
Kel-Tec SU-16
Ruger Mini-14
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine

if you can only afford one of these right now, get the SU-16. If you can only afford one and have more money, get the M1A.

Frankly, I would get them all before they are banned, but 95% of people say "that's crazy". The way I see it: once they are banned (ok, IF they are banned...) they will be PRICELESS.

-sven, wishes he had an AR, stuck here for a while...

CBX
August 30, 2004, 03:39 PM
i already have a SU-16 and am looking for a inexpensive M1 or M1 carbine

Jim K
August 30, 2004, 03:53 PM
The proposed federal law that Kerry supports would ban all semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and all pump rifles and shotguns, plus .50 rifles. There are also proposals, which he would probably support, to ban some handguns and limit capacity of any gun to six rounds. Proposals to put all these and all handguns under the NFA are also in the works and will likely appear if Kerry is elected.

Note that he was pictured with an O/U double shotgun. That is the gun he meant when he said he would not take away "sporting guns", and it is clear that (while he may not actually support confiscation) he does intend to back a ban on the manufacture, import and maybe sale of everything else.

Jim

MatthewVanitas
August 31, 2004, 08:43 AM
At the risk of beating a horse that was killed before I was born: CMP M1 Garand.

Check out www.odcmp.com

Last I checked they had Greek-issue rack-grade M1s for $299, plus $20 for shipping to your doorstep, no FFL required.

Get a case of ammo, shoot it, then consider rebarreling to .308 so you can shoot it for 1/3 the price. (Yes, I'm a heretic; thanks for asking.)

It will most likely be the last military autoloader to be banned in any state, plus you get to question the patriotism of anybody who complains about you owning one. You're not a gun-nut, you're an American history buff!

Several of us deployed to Al-Anbar have bought M1s through the CMP while deployed (a Battalion Adjutant's stamp is allowed for the background check form). If it can be done from a FOB, it's got to be doable from your livingroom. Mine's sitting in my buddy's wife's closet waiting for me to shoot it on the first weekend after I get back. From what I hear from the other CMP purchasers, even on "rack grade" rifles, it's a heck of a deal.

The only cheaper buy would be an SKS. The you could either dye the stock black or add a tacticool Dragunov-style stock (are those legal in CA?). Should look pretty threatening.

If you enjoyed reading about "stuck in cali please help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!