Pretty Cool - Online Machine Shop

PDA

geojap
August 26, 2004, 02:05 PM
One of my co-workers just forwarded this to me. You can use these guys to machine all your little firearm parts that you need to have made.

http://emachineshop.com/

The steps appear to be:
1. download their CAD software
2. design the part on the CAD software
3. Send the CAD file to them and they will price it for you

Disclaimer: I don't work for them blah blah blah etc etc, but it seemed like a cool idea so I thought I'd share it. Take it for what it's worth.

I might try it out if I ever need a part made.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pretty Cool - Online Machine Shop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BeLikeTrey
August 26, 2004, 02:10 PM
Awesome thanks!

UnknownSailor
August 26, 2004, 09:11 PM
I dunno. I'm thinking using this is flirting with a BATF anal-probing....

Third_Rail
August 26, 2004, 09:29 PM
This was posted a few months ago, too. Still seems interesting.

Not_A_Llama
August 26, 2004, 09:36 PM
I've seen their work at school.. senior projects and such. It's pretty good; the thing you have to remember is that a one-off is expensive.. the prices go down really sharply from there, though

Jonathan
August 26, 2004, 10:37 PM
Seems like the perfect place to do a group buy on a special item.

yorick
August 26, 2004, 11:00 PM
quick! - somebody send 'em a CAD drawing of an AR-15 lower - maybe they'll whip out a few for ya before they realize the alphabet guys have stupid rules about shapes of machined aluminum... ;D

Majic
August 27, 2004, 02:39 AM
Small machine shops are everywhere looking for business. What these guys don't tell you is if your order is heavy then the shipping will eat you alive. If your design is flawed then you won't know untill the entire shipment arrives. Local shops can make just one for you to inspect then proceed with production when everything is satisfactory.
CNC machines are great, but they are just faster than a good skilled machinist and only excell when it comes to producing mass quantities of a single part.

stealthmode
August 27, 2004, 04:35 AM
very interesting thanks for the link

lwsimon
August 27, 2004, 03:28 PM
Looks like their CAD software is very limited. Good news is, it imports .DXF files, so we can use models made in more advanced 3D packages. More info to follow, once i download, install, and play with it some :)

DigMe
August 28, 2004, 12:19 AM
This service got a good review from PC Magazine. They had some test parts made. There's another one too I think but I can't remember what it's called.

brad cook

chevrofreak
August 29, 2004, 06:45 AM
I tried to figure that software out, I really did! I wanted them to machine a muzzle brake for my AK :(

cpileri
August 29, 2004, 08:23 AM
Me too!
I want them to make a multi-chambered muzzle brake but with a variety of threads and clamp-over-sight-screw-tightened attachment ends for a variety of firearms.
Maybe we can work something out as a group buy after all.
C-

lwsimon
August 30, 2004, 04:43 AM
I can design it. I've got quite a bit of CAD experience, just give me detailed drawings, and I'll be more than happy to convert them to their software. As I suspected, its not incredibly powerful, but I think i can make it do what's necessary for something as simple as a muzzle brake :) Email me at simon@simon-photography.com with a good drawing and i'll send you back the file.

lwsimon
August 30, 2004, 04:55 AM
Hey guys, been playing around with eMachineShop.com's software, and I'm pretty comfy with it now. I think i can draw up just about anything I need to now, and I volunteer my services to anyone who wants something milled. Just send me a good, detailed drawing - hand drawn is OK, as long as the dimensions are correctly shown - and i'll do my best to send you a file that you can in turn send to their site and get a quote for milling.

Just thought I'd offer :) I think i'll be making a flash hider for AK's first, and see how much that's gonna cost, then go from there.

Mikke
August 30, 2004, 06:32 AM
I thought their program worked just fine at least for the relatively simple detail I tried, but you have to think in terms of machining, not just what the finished product should be.

Unfortunately the part I tested on would be more expensive then what I would be willing to pay, but had I been interested in a semi-large serie, perhaps...

rock jock
August 30, 2004, 02:13 PM
quick! - somebody send 'em a CAD drawing of an AR-15 lower - maybe they'll whip out a few for ya before they realize the alphabet guys have stupid rules about shapes of machined aluminum... ;D
Heh! How about a lighting link? Two very small, totally inconspicuous pieces of metal that weigh no more than an couple of ounces and which no one without a highly trained eye would ever possibly associate with a firearm. In fact, most folks would think they were scrap and toss them, or use it as bottle opener. And yet, machining them from a 25 cent piece of 1/4" thin steel plate in less than 2 minutes would bring a 10-year prison term and $100K fine.

lwsimon
August 30, 2004, 05:15 PM
I'm NOT going to design anything illegal, just to clarify :) I'd be more than happy to do Class III stuff, if you can prove that both you and the machinists have all the appropriate paperwork.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pretty Cool - Online Machine Shop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!