Getting M-44

PDA

chetrogers
August 30, 2004, 04:14 PM
I'm getting a m44 from a co-worker tomorrow.I Know nothing about these guns I'm curious if anyone could tell me what to look for once i get it.Is it possible for me to find out where it was made or when it was made.Only thing i know is he bought it from "big5" and fired a box of ammo through it and didn't clean it afterwords :( .Are they hard to clean?..Thanks for any info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting M-44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
August 30, 2004, 04:31 PM
Be very wary of the "didn't clean afterwards" most of the time people shoot surplus corrosive ammo through these and if not cleaned immediately after with hot water and dish soap or at least Windex they can rust and pit like the dickens.

Corrosive ammo is no big deal to clean, especially through a bolt gun but you have to make sure you do so after every range session.

If he shout new production ammo like Wolf it's no big thing and just clean it as usual.

As for difficulty.

1 remove bolt.
2 patch and brush barrel with cleaner and oil as necessary.
3 dry barrel
4 clean bolt with cleaner and oil.
5 wipe down
6 Put bolt back in.

You may want to clean out the magazine from time to time and always wipe all metal surfaces down with a light coating of oil but cleaining is really no big deal.

If shooting corrosive simply start by filling a bucket full of hot hot soapy water. Throw the bolt in the bucket, and put the bore of the gun in the bucket. Use a patch and rod to act like a piston to draw the hot soapy water up through the barrel. Do this a few time.

Dry off the gun, dry off the inner barrel with clean patches. Wipe down and dry off the bolt throughly and then perform the standard cleaning.

I shoot nothing but corrosive through my Mauser and it might as well be brand new but I have always followed the above steps.

If you are in a situation where you will not be able to clean immediately after shooting. Bring some Windex. Spray some patches and run them down the barrel a few time and across the bolt fact. Dry and you should be ok until a more through cleaning can be done.

Chris

Ash
August 30, 2004, 04:54 PM
http://www.mosin-nagant.net

Here's all you'll ever want to know about it.

Ash

ocabj
August 30, 2004, 05:50 PM
Does anyone honestly know how long it takes for corrosive primers to affect the bore? You have to wonder about how the guns were treated in WWII. I'm sure soldiers didn't clean their bores daily.

That said, you should clean your bore after every range session. I usually clean at the range so I don't have to when I get home.

If you are really interested in your co-worker's M44, ask him if you can clean it and check the bore. Patch and brush it out with some decent solvent and eye the bore. There isn't a sure proof way to find a great bore by just looking down it, but you should be able to spot a bad bore.

Doug S
August 30, 2004, 06:19 PM
Another great site to check out is 7.62x54r. It will have info regarding all of your questions, & excellent pictures. The M44 is a great little carbine, & comparable in power to 308/30-06. It would make a very nice woods or trunk gun.

George S.
August 30, 2004, 08:36 PM
Here's a good site for information about the Mosins:
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com This forum is more about the history of the Mosins and how they played a part in Russian involvment in war but there is a wealth of technicla information available as long as you don't ask aobut modifying or "sporterizing" them.

www.mosin-nagant.net is no longer active. It's been changed to www.mosinnagant.net The dash is gone from the old site.

Another good site is: http://www.surplusrifle.com/russiannagant/maintenance.asp

Consider a nice thick recoil pad to use with your M44, they kick like an angry mule and the muzzle blast is a great light show in the evening. Pretty loud too. The best accuracy is achieved with the bayonet extended as it affects the barrel harmonics.

JohnKSa
August 30, 2004, 09:25 PM
Does anyone honestly know how long it takes for corrosive primers to affect the bore?It can be VERY quickly if it's a humid day. As little as a few hours.

I think that soldiers clean their rifles any chance they get if they are actually in a position to use them. Also remember that a rusted bore doesn't make the gun unshootable--only less accurate. Even that's not likely to happen overnight. Even a very rough bore can shoot surprisingly well.

chetrogers
August 31, 2004, 12:10 AM
I do know that the box that was shot through the rifle was Wolf ammo.Im getting it for 50 dollars because he doesnt like it and well to tell the truth the world is better for me having it and him not .Also do i need to have some bill of sale or something,legally? ..thanks for the comments off to check the webpage suggested.

c_yeager
August 31, 2004, 12:31 AM
I do know that the box that was shot through the rifle was Wolf ammo

Non-Corrosive, i don't think you have anything to worry about. He is probably selling it because the flash and bang are bit on the extreme size with the M44. Some find it to be lots of fun, others find it to be unpleasant. They are fine rifles though, and for $50 i think you will really like it.

SteelyDan
August 31, 2004, 01:48 AM
Doug S already pointed this out, but I too think it will give you a date for your rifle:

http://www.7.62x54r.net/

chetrogers
September 2, 2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys.I only payed 40 bucks for it and he gave me a bag of ammo he bought but never used.He payed $17.99 for the ammo alone.It is Russian it says 1944 .Is that when it was made.Is it just a coincident that it says 1944 and is a m44..I looked on that site and all of the pictures of what type they are seem to be clean stamped. Mine has little "Japanese type symbols on it everywhere" I'm sure its Russian though :) .I will take a picture tomorrow when the lighting is better .I cant seem to get a good picture with the light in my room.

I'm reading the sites suggested and am a littel confused but want to read up on my new rifle..

BamBam-31
September 2, 2004, 02:24 AM
Wear adequate hearing protection.

Rhinodogg
September 3, 2004, 11:21 AM
I love mine. They're loud and throw one heck of a flame. Recoil isn't bad. Pretty accurate too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting M-44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!