.22 LR recommendations for a kid

PDA

wild billz
August 30, 2004, 09:05 PM
it would be my 13yr old nephews first rifle. I am looking for something that is inexpesnsive, under 200 new, more like low 100s if possible. I'd appreciate some recommendations. thanks in advance, Bill

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR recommendations for a kid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
August 30, 2004, 09:09 PM
Definitely some decent .22s in that price range. Is the lad responsible enough for a semi? A Ruger 10/22 or the Marlin Model 60 are common choices then.

Sactown
August 30, 2004, 11:18 PM
CZ Scout. Bolt action with iron sights. Get him started on the fundamentals.

Flatfender
August 31, 2004, 01:07 AM
Have him take a Hunter Safety Course too.

A single shot or even a bolt action is a great first rifle. Teaches him every shot counts. Semi-auto doesn't.

schromf
August 31, 2004, 01:36 AM
" Bolt Action 22 LR"

There are several good makes. Most in your price range are used but a little looking can easily find you one. A Remington, Ruger 77/22, Savage all good starting guns.

I know the auto's are more fun, but for teaching good rifle skills the bolt can't be beat. In the field youngsters quickly learn that there is no follow up shot with the bolt and work at getting better.

My oldest whined like I stuck pig when I bought him a new Ruger 77/22 when he was younger. About a year ago he thanked I didn't get him the 10/22 after he had been shooting with a friend. He had both rifles out shooting and realised how much better he shot with the bolt.

It doesn't need to be high dollar, just get a good solid bolt. If it must be new look at he Savage Mark II, or a Marlin 981T both in your price range. Remington made the many 5xx series rifles that can all be bought used in excellent shape in that price range.

FullClip
August 31, 2004, 07:59 AM
Have bought two of my nephews .22s in the past few years in my effort to keep the shooting gene running in the blood line.:D

The first one I bought a Browning lever action. The kid was 14 years old and has been shooting since he was 10. has proved himself a safe shooter and both his father and I agreed he could safely handle a repeater.

My other nephew was 13 and I bought him a Ruger 77/22. This nephew didn't have much experiance around guns but is a fairly sane boy. His father had been thinking of a single shot, but when I pointed out that the bot action could be a single shot if the magazine wasn't used he agreed that the bolt action repeater would be something his son wouldn't out grow. (no that somebody is going to say you shouldn't single feed rounds in a bolt, but so far no problems, and he has since been trusted with the magazine after a years "probation".)
I guess my same "no magazine" theory could be applied to a semi-auto, but think that the bolt teaches better marksmanship in the begining.
Have another nephew coming of age soon, so will be looking for another bolt action.
Good thing is at least for now, I have two little buddies who just love to come up to Kamp-Kik-Ass and shoot with me. (also get them to stack wood, rake and mow the lawn, paint, dig post holes...........you get the picture.):D :D

wild billz
August 31, 2004, 08:34 AM
thanks for the replies. Its up to his parent on what to get him, bolt vs semi. I am leaning towards a bolt action, a little less temptation to mis ahndle it, though this boy is very mature and would never be unsupervised.

crewsr
August 31, 2004, 11:33 AM
I like the Marlin 39A lever action. Its a little more money and a little heavier but its built so well he will be handing over to His kids in the future.
my $.02

Richardson
August 31, 2004, 11:39 AM
Depending on his size and maturity...

(1) A single shot bolt action rifle. Have him master safety and marksmanship before having the ability to rely on multiple shots. The Henry Mini-bolt is around $170 at my local Gander Mountain. I just got one for my (younger) kids to grow into. Stainless & synthetic, and built very well.

(2) Taurus 62-Youth. It's a pump action, fitted with a shorter youth stock. It comes with a full size stock, so it will be handy when he gets older too.

Richardson

Gordon
August 31, 2004, 11:47 AM
I learned n a Wincherster model 67 single shot bolt gun. My sons learned on a Chip Munk, which had the advantage of a scaled down stock and barrel. My grandson will learn on a 510 Remington bolt gun I had the stock cut down on. I gave the Chipmunk away to another family with children after my youngest hit teen age years.;)

Hazwaste
August 31, 2004, 12:56 PM
My daughter loves her Marlin Model 60. Trouble-free, inexpensive, and easy for a small child to handle. Comes with a standard rimfire scope rail.

Cindog
August 31, 2004, 03:51 PM
I'll second the CZ Scout with its great iron sights.

mikeb3185
August 31, 2004, 07:45 PM
bolt action to start

i have a marlin 25N that i put an old scope on, never a problem

adaman04
August 31, 2004, 08:01 PM
I learned on a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto. I still have it and shoot it frequently. Have never had any problems with it, and it has seen a lot of rounds. Ruger 10/22 might not be bad either.

WhiteKnight
August 31, 2004, 10:15 PM
Bolt action to start. Anyone telling you to buy a semi-auto is, wellll.... :rolleyes:

Try a Marlin 25mn or a CZ Scout if you can afford it. Both are excellent rifles.

boofus
August 31, 2004, 10:37 PM
Are those Henry lever action .22s any good? I thought about getting one for plinking but ~$350 for a Henry Goldenboy seems kind of steep.

glocksman
September 1, 2004, 05:33 AM
If you can find one used in good shape, the Remington Nylon 66 would be a good choice. Lightweight, nearly indestructible, good triggers (better than any stock 10/22), and decent iron sights.

The only disadvantage is the tubular magazine.

SunBear
September 1, 2004, 11:00 AM
The Brownong and Marlin lever-actions are great looking as well as fun and they can enjoy them even when they're adults. Same for the 10/22. Marksmanship and responsibility come from PROPER training, not the type of action. If they don't accept the training, they don't shoot until they're ready. Happy trails. :D

Ash
September 1, 2004, 11:18 AM
The Romanian .22 training rifles are real nice and generally run around $80. They are bolt action with a 5 round detachable magazine. They are very solidly built as well.

Otherwise, look around and you can find a very nice Western Field or Mossberg .22 with a 7 round detacable magazine. They generally run less than $100 and, particularly with the Western Field, are excellent quality with much nicer stocks than can generally be affordably had these days.

Ash

krusty311
September 1, 2004, 01:20 PM
Bolt action is definitely the way to go.I would go with a box fed magazine though I've seen quite a few with tubular mags that had been dropped or what not and recieved a dent in the mag which put them out of comission.

krusty

gunslinger308
October 21, 2004, 12:00 AM
Don't rule out the single shot .22! Bolt action or Break action. some of my best memories are of combing the countryside at my Grandparents farm with a bolt action 22. A teenaged boy can learn alot from a single shot gun.

Stress the safety and get the kid in a shooting club -- 4-H, cmp, boyscouts, local gun club junoirs. Whatever club is available will do wonders for the kid!

NORM
October 21, 2004, 12:36 AM
a Savage 30g "favorite". bought my eight year old one and I love to shoot it, in fact He shoots my Rem mod 52 mostly and I shoot his. come to think of it he shoots my win m70 .243, 2-S&W 686's, S&W mod 41 more than me also.

Bwana John
October 21, 2004, 03:31 AM
My first choice for begginer .22's is a Stevens "Old Favorite" falling block single shot. My second choice is the CZ Scout (mod 452?) with the single shot mag, upgraded to the 5 shot mag when ready. If the little bugger gets a autoloader, dont expect me to be anywhere around. Dont let em have a scope at first either, let them get proficent with open sights, preferably peep sights.

lwsimon
October 21, 2004, 09:32 AM
I'm restoring a 1978 vintage Marlin Original 34A. With the heavy target barrel, its a very accurate little lever gun, and would be perfect to learn with.

Master Blaster
October 21, 2004, 09:47 AM
Take him with and try the gun out for size and weight, make sure he can manipulate the controls.

I bought my son and daughter, 6 and 8 years old, a savage cub, which is a single shot bolt action with a peep sight and grooved receiver for scope mounting. It fits them.

$125 at Dicks, local gunstores had them for $160. It, along with the cricket are the smallest, and its almost too big for my 6 year old but good for my 8 year old.

Marlin youth model and CZ scout are a little bigger in LOP.

The CZ is probably the nicest but will run about $180-200.

Brian Williams
October 21, 2004, 11:13 AM
Look at the Savage MKII great little bolt guns and have a 5 or 10 round mag. My 16 y.o. son has one and it is very accurate. He got it with his own money at 13. around $110.

crt360
October 21, 2004, 05:04 PM
I'd go with the CZ. Not only is it a good beginner rifle, it is also extremely accurate. I'm not sure what the dimensions are on the Scout, but if he's of average size or bigger I'd go for the 452 Training model which is larger. The 452 is very well made and would probably provide great shooting fun for a few lifetimes if taken care of. They also make a 513 which similar, but should be cheaper with no checkering and simpler sights. I've never shot the 513 so I can't attest to its accuracy, but it seems to share enough with the 452 that it would be similar.

hksw
October 21, 2004, 06:10 PM
IMO, the kid is 13, the CZ 452 Scout and Marlin 15YN might be too small for him. I'd go with full size. The bolt actions do force him a little bit to be more precise with his aim than the semis. But then again, you can always download the semi's mags.

sm
October 21, 2004, 08:49 PM
Agree with a Bolt as first gun.

For a full size stock for his age - find a Rem 514 single shot. So it is a single shot, the accuracy , the basic skills and fundamentals will last a lifetime. One always appreciates having a tool like the 514 to get out of a slump , or rid themselves of bad habits aquired down the line - no matter the age.

Fun Factor is a bonus.

BryanP
October 21, 2004, 08:53 PM
Leveractions are always a good choice. I don't own a Henry but I've heard they're not bad and can be had for $185 or so. Marlin's are wonderful but pricier.

salthouse
October 22, 2004, 10:01 AM
IMO the most important thing (after firearm safety, of course) is that youngsters have fun when they are introduced to shooting. For me that translated to a 10/22. With a scope the accuracy is acceptable, and my daughters love to shoot semi-auto. They have also enjoyed doing some customization of the 10/22, new stock, laser sight, etc..., just another aspect of the sport that is easy to introduce with the Ruger. I'm introducing my kids to shooting my bolt action .270 next. Enjoy.

saltydog452
October 22, 2004, 12:37 PM
What I chose in the late 70's might not be appropriate now, but for what its worth, heres what I did and why.

I started each of the kids shooting with a Rossi Youth Model Pump 22. Cut the stock down by an inch or two to fit them better. As there was no safety on the little Rossi, it was easier to impress on the kids that the only 'safety' they could depend on was between their ears. The external hammer, the lack of a mechanical safety, take-down capability, and the ability to use sub-sonic 22 Shorts sold me on the Rossi Pump.

After going through our three kiddos, the little take-down Rossi is about to make its way through the grand-kids.

I'm sure your situtation is different and there may be more options out there now, but the Rossi seemed to me the most appropriate platform available that would let me teach safety and responsibility. That was my goal.

salty.

HankB
October 22, 2004, 01:13 PM
If your nephew is 13, he ought to be old enough to be able to form an opinion on what he wants . . . with a little guidance from his uncle, of course. (At 13 I was in 8th grade, and full-size rifles were fine for me . . . a kid's gun wouldn't have gone over very well.)

Whether or not you get him a bolt action or a semi really depends on what you expect from both the kid and the rifle, as well as your budget . . . but I'll leave you with this question: If you don't trust him with something like a 10/22, should you be getting him ANY type of firearm at all?

RustyFN
July 15, 2006, 11:39 PM
If you are interested in a bolt action I just bought a Marlin 981T. It was very accurate with the iron sights. I put a cheap Tasco scope on it and it is a tack driver. You can get the gun for around $140 and add the scope for under $200.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=42243&stc=1&d=1153016388

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR recommendations for a kid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!