Smith & Wesson Sigma Series Trigger FIX!!! (SW9VE, SW40VE)

PDA

JBHaire52
August 31, 2004, 03:03 AM
I have read a lot of reviews and opinions about the Smith &Wesson sigma series weapons and the only real complaint that comes up is that the trigger is tough or even atrocious. I personally have a SW9VE and I couldn't be happier with the gun. In all honesty the trigger (as it comes from the Smith & Wesson) is tough. However with some smithing the problem can be completely removed. I had mine smithed by a gentleman named Tom Novak (http://www.handgunneroutlet.net./service/sigma.htm) and it completely alleviated the problem. The trigger from the manufacture is estimated to require between 8 to 12 pounds of pressure. With a simple and fairly inexpensive trigger job, I had mine brought down to around 4 pounds of pressure and it makes a world of difference. I understand why many people complain about the trigger as it comes from the manufacturer however the problem doesn’t warrant the reputation the NEWEST models of Sigma series have received especially when such an easy fix is so easily attainable.

The most ironic part about the weapons is claims that S&W did a poor job with the weapon solely based upon consumer dislike of the trigger. THE TRIGGER WAS INTENTIONALLY MADE HARD! To cater to law enforcement requests, the sigma was equipped with a hard trigger to ensure safety. Because the weapon was Double Action Only, the hard trigger pull was requested and implemented to avoid accidental firing.

Also anyone that claims that sigma series weapons aren’t target weapons should try firing one that has had a trigger job done and reevaluate their current opinion. The difference it makes is night and day. Smith & Wesson made another fine series with the sigma’s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson Sigma Series Trigger FIX!!! (SW9VE, SW40VE)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flashpoint
August 31, 2004, 07:56 AM
Now that's a sigma post of a different color.:rolleyes: :D

denfoote
August 31, 2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks JB!!
I have an SW40F coming in and I think I will get the job done as soon as I can afford it!!
Heck!! I'm used to the DA trigger on a Walther P5, so, I might not even mind it!! :evil:

sigmaman
October 28, 2004, 02:32 AM
take apart slide put in bowl of alchohol (trichloethylene if you can get it)
take out let dry. now dissemble the firing pin (take off plastic stop on end of slide) be careful the extractor spring may fly wild on ya.
replace with wolff spring 3.5#. dont reassemble yet
now where sear and slot in slide meet polish that slot. use an emery board. your just smoothing it out reducing some friction there.
next on the trigger connector do same thing on top of tabs coming off trigger connector.
now where trigger connector and slide mate. get some steel wool.fine steel wool. polish those surfaces too. remember were reducing friction not removing metal. 1 drop of oil in cam block (end of trigger connector) reassemble unit. dry fire LOTS
reduced smooth trigger pull
totally different trigger than the one i bought
have fun be safe
remember all guns are LOADED until we know otherwise

1911Tuner
October 28, 2004, 12:00 PM
Quote:

INTENTIONALLY MADE HARD! To cater to law enforcement requests, the sigma was equipped with a hard trigger to ensure safety. Because the weapon was Double Action Only, the hard trigger pull was requested and implemented to avoid accidental firing.

Study that statement and ask yourself a few hard questions...

Luck!

Tuner

RUBZERK
May 2, 2005, 12:24 AM
Can i have more info on this ?

denfoote
May 2, 2005, 04:01 PM
I've fired my pump-you-up Sigma enough times that I don't even notice the trigger pull!!!
In fact, yesterday, I was sniping empty propane bottles, lain on their sides, shooting at their ends, off a log at about 12 yards!!! ;)
I was also punching 1 liter soda bottles, filled with dirt, from about 15 yards!! :eek:
So much for the stock trigger effecting accuracy!!! :D

Of course, I may have a thing for shooting pistols with a hard trigger pull: P38, PPK/S, P5, Sigma, CZ52, Taurus revolver, etc. :D

GlenJ
May 2, 2005, 04:46 PM
The review I read in Combat Handguns stated that the trigger pull was made intentionally hard for safety. I've read several reviews about this pistol and they were all very good I checked one out but it felt cheap when i handled it though and settled on a Ruger P97.

alexshadow
May 2, 2005, 07:42 PM
it is great to hear a positive thread on the sigma. I myself have loved it from day 1.

good shooting all!

JimLally
May 2, 2005, 11:01 PM
I totally agree with JBHaire52. I sent my Sigma 40VE to NHO and had the trigger job done and the over travel taken up. What a WONDERFUL difference. I was almost ready to purchase a Glock 23 when I decided to have the trigger job done on the Sigma. I think the Sigma now does better than the Glock. It's like I got a new pistol. I sure saved myself a LOT of money. I raved about it over at the S&W forum when I got it back.

The atttached image is a target I shot the day I got it back from NHO (25 rounds at 10 yards). Needless to say I'm REAL happy. The two weeks it took to get it back was well worth it. I have also attached a fillable PDF order form from his site.

Before I sent it in, I called Tom Novak and spoke with him on the phone. He answered all my questions in a professional manner. The guy was great.

If you own a Sigma or are considering purchasing one, keep NHO in mind. You'll be glad you did.

Take care.

Jim

RUBZERK
May 3, 2005, 12:56 AM
Can you explane exactly what they do to the gun ??

Brasso
May 3, 2005, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure why the Sigma is still in production with the advent of the SW99? I've personally never even seen someone with a Sigma.

Caesar
May 4, 2005, 01:04 PM
I have a sigma ve. dunno where you got that information from..<sw99>[/IMG]

denfoote
May 4, 2005, 04:37 PM
Here's mine!! :D

Sigma owners tend to be discreete about their ownership. ;)
Why let the Glocksters know that they spent to much money?? :D

Sharpshooter
May 4, 2005, 05:40 PM
I have the 9VE. I did a mod myself to lower the lbs. on the trigger pull. The Sigma has two springs in the rear assembly (not sure of the proper name). I took the larger outter spring and cut about 1/8th of an inch off of it. It feels like a 5 lbs. decrease in the pull. I've fired a few Glocks and my Sigma's pull is smooth and clean, very close to the Glocks.

GAC
May 4, 2005, 09:04 PM
I have plenty of good words about the V version Sigmas. I've wanted to get a Smith and Wesson for a while and will likely think hard about the Sigma for my next purchase.

Coltdriver
May 4, 2005, 09:49 PM
That is great news. I used to own one but got rid of it because of the trigger.

It was one of the best $250 hi cap bargains available. If I really concentrated it was very accurate. Mine was utterly reliable. It ended up in a swap for a HP.

MaterDei
May 4, 2005, 09:58 PM
The original post of this thread was the one and only post that JBHaire52 ever made. I have a sneaky suspicion that we have been victims of a drive by advertiser.

GAC
May 5, 2005, 06:00 PM
I have heard plenty of good words about sneaky suspicions. I've wanted to get some advertising for a while and will likely think hard about for some advertising for my next purchase.

Caesar
May 9, 2005, 06:47 PM
I like that comment denFoote..freaking dealer couldn't give me one real reason why I should twice as much on a glock. I'm concemplating that trigger job, but I'm gonna put a few more hundred thru it before I make my decision.

sigma 40ve
May 9, 2005, 08:58 PM
I polished the internals and cut about 2 coils off of each of the 2 springs mentioned in an earlier post, and dry fired the crap out of it. Now the trigger is somewhat better than my 5 lb Glock. I am going to get another 40VE to "convert" to 357 sig, because I happened to get one of the last barrels Smith sold in 357 sig and I happen to like that caliber. IMO many people listen to the flaming of the Sigma and don't know how to lessen the trigger pull, thus passing up a great bargain in a "plastic" high cap.

Caesar
May 18, 2005, 12:57 AM
Just wondering where you got that spring from?

RUBZERK
May 18, 2005, 11:35 AM
OK, I just called wolfgunsprings & the guy tells me that they sell stricker springs that will reduce the trigger pull but doesnt reccomend them.

Whats the deal ???

junkdogg9781
January 8, 2009, 10:24 AM
I own a post-ban SW9VE and love this weapon. I had no problem with the heavy trigger, though it took some getting used to. I think it made me a better shooter. Several of my friends have put rounds through it and every last one of them complained about the heavy trigger:mad:, so I did some research. I heard many of you mention the WOLFF striker spring #30085, so I went to gunsprings.com and ordered one. Upon installing it (took about 2 minutes), I immediately noticed a HUGE difference in the trigger pull... was about half of what it used to be. Untill blasting about 500 rd. of Winchester 147gr JHPs through it, I was skeptical:scrutiny:. 500 rds and not one light strike, not one jam, and the gun will spread a 3" pattern @ 25 yds. I am one satisfied SW9VE owner:).

Maelstrom
January 8, 2009, 11:00 AM
So what was it this time?

Aliens?

Meteor?

Angry spirits?

What movie plot caused this zombie resurrection?

For all we know the original poster died four years ago. My theory? He signed up at THR. Posted one thread making the asseveration that Tom Novak is the single greatest human being to walk the earth, then died.

junkdogg9781
January 8, 2009, 11:14 AM
Umm, wow, I didn't realize the last post was back in 2005. I googled this thread last week. I'm not trying to sell anything, just thought there might be someone out there who could benefit from the info.

jighed
January 8, 2009, 07:52 PM
"Umm, wow, I didn't realize the last post was back in 2005. I googled this thread last week. I'm not trying to sell anything, just thought there might be someone out there who could benefit from the info."

I'm a newbie here and glad you brought this up. I too found it doing a search on sigma. I am looking to buy and considering an SW40VE. Like the original poster said, the only REAL complaints I can find on the web is the trigger pull. I am not a gun guru but I do know name brands and S&W is a good one. I just don't get the bad rep on this gun. Would it be a better weapon if it was priced higher? I am just looking for a valid reason as to why I shouldn't purchase this gun. To me, trigger pull is not enough. I am not looking for hardcore problems with the gun. Hope I am not making enemies with this. :)
Thanks for your input

mljdeckard
January 8, 2009, 08:00 PM
I prefer pistols that don't need the trigger rebuilt to be handled by the average human being.

It wasn't just the trigger. Heck, when I got mine, I was so green I didn't really know what a good trigger was. It was the fight that fell out and the feed ramp I had to have milled to feed any JHP ammo that REALLY made me decide to scrap it.

jighed
January 8, 2009, 08:09 PM
thanks mljdeckard, I don't know what a good trigger is, thats how new I am. I do hunt and shot rifles and shotguns but pistols are somewhat new to me. Just looking for input, Thanks for the input

mljdeckard
January 9, 2009, 11:56 AM
Sight, not fight, oops.

skeptiq
January 9, 2009, 12:25 PM
People seem to either love or hate the Sigma, it all depends on who you talk to. I have had mine since November and I really like it. I have fired 300 rounds through it so far and after the first 150, the trigger smoothed out considerably. I have had zero issues with it. I have fired only Blazer Brass / WWB 115 FMJ rounds through it. I will soon me looking at some SD ammo for it once I get my carry permit. So for now, it's locked up and only comes out when I head to the range. I will agree that there are guns out there that have a much better trigger, but honestly I am of the ilk that if you learn to shoot the Sigma well, you'll be great at any other gun you pick up. Also note as stated in this post previously, there is a reason why the trigger is 'heavy.' This was done on purpose from S&W because there isn't a manual safety on the gun. You want to make sure that the gun ONLY goes bang when you tell it to. I have posted a couple range report with pics of targets from my Sigma and it's pretty accurate even while I was still getting used to the trigger (still am getting used to it, but currently I don't have time to hit the range more than once every couple of weeks). Anyway, I would recommend going to a local shop that has one and handle it and see if you like it.

First Outing with Sigma (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=408103)

Second Outing with Sigma (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=409731)
*** NOTE ***
You can disregard the "accuracy" of the second outing (with exception of first photo), because I was trying different grips (strong hand / weak hand) and stances to see what happens holding the gun differently. The first photo is basically a normal two handed stance at 7 yards. The others were pretty much something to tell me to practice more :D

JM.02

wsps1990
January 26, 2009, 11:23 PM
Say what you want as far as the 9VE goes, I feel pretty good and pretty bad about it. The good part is that I bought one on 12/28/08 and to date not one jam, FTE, or FTF on Remington UMC. I paid $310 for it new and not from my uncle the dealer or something.That bit about shooting where you point your finger, well, I don't know about that, but it does drop 4 inch patterns at 10 yrds.consistently. Now for the bad part, pay attention here, DO NOT put too much oil on it, it will leak like a Democrat on cheap liquor. The other bad part, and it's not the trigger, go squeeze some tennis balls, cupcakes, is that the early models apparently had some quality issues and it put a bad smell on the newer ones. I have a P85 Ruger that is truly a fine piece, but for a quick grab and go, I'll take the 9VE first.

Ruger GP-100/357
Ruger P-85/9
Ruger Mini-14
Ruger Mk III 22/45
Taurus 85/38
Marlin Camp-9
Savage 111/30.06
Mossberg 500/12
Ithaca 37/12

gglass
January 26, 2009, 11:36 PM
Wow! What an old thread. Windows XP was still considered a new computer operating system when this thread started. Keep this one going guys, we might be getting into Guinness World Record territory.

Bullnettles
January 27, 2009, 12:20 AM
I just ordered a reduced striker spring and new guide rod assembly for my SW40VE. I have shot at least 500 rounds through this pistol and have had only one stovepipe (g/f was still fairly new and limp wristed it.) I've never had feeding issues or had to do anything to make this a fine pistol. I got some Pachmayr grips that helped considerably, and ordered the new spring to check this light-strike problem for myself. I ordered the new guide rod because the stock one is plastic and I wanted a new one :D. Trigger pull is an issue for me and I'll report back when I have some ifo for you guys. Night.

SHOOT1SAM
January 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
junkdog9781: "Umm, wow, I didn't realize the last post was back in 2005. I googled this thread last week. I'm not trying to sell anything, just thought there might be someone out there who could benefit from the info."

gglass: Wow! What an old thread. Windows XP was still considered a new computer operating system when this thread started. Keep this one going guys, we might be getting into Guinness World Record territory.

See. THIS is what happens when someone uses the much-vaunted & mystical "Search" feature, instead of just asking a straight-out question!! :neener:

BTW, I LOVE my Sigma .40VE

Sam

Claude Clay
January 27, 2009, 12:48 PM
old thread but i still have my 40VE original. its a house or under my winter coat carry gun and i want it to stay in factory condition. the trigger isn't so bad it needs fixing so much as practice. i cant speak for where you live but in CT if you use a modified firearm [even if/when it is found to be justified] your legal cost pretty much double. less so if you have the paperwork from the certified gunsmith--more so if you don't.

Sato Ord
January 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
I still don't see the problem. I can fire a fifteen round group at 25 yards that you can cover with the palm of your hand. That's normal shooting, not taking lengthy breaks between shots, or using a rest. I can run double tap drills all day long and keep all the shots in the kill zone.

My Sigma is kept the way it came from the factory. I knew about the trigger pull before I bought it, and I have no problem with it. I can't see paying the expense of having an already fine weapon messed with.

The trigger pull is 12.5 lbs, and it has a long pull. However, like all Smiths the trigger on the Sigma is smooth as glass from the time you apply pressure right up until it goes bang.

Since it's my opinion that counts when I purchase a firearm, I am not unhappy that I spent the money on my Sigma, and I don't feel any need to alter a weapon platform that works.

hammerattack
February 15, 2009, 07:03 AM
I think a good reason for this thread's most recent resurrection would be the election of one of the most anti-gun governments in the last... forever. I purchased my first personal firearm in 10 years yesterday because I have a rational fear that I won't be allowed to after 2009. And, I found this site, registered and this is my first post.

I chose the SW40VE based on ammo availability, terminal ballistics of the round, concealability and the feel of the gun. And, admittedly, also because it looked cool. I had been warned about the trigger, but I wasn't fully prepared until I got to the range. I don't need more muscle strength in my fingers, I need a smooth easy trigger pull. The smithing advise at this site put my mind at ease about the trigger issue, and everything else about the weapon is spot-on. (My next choice was a $900 Kimber. I can buy 2.6 SW40VE's for that.)

My only other concern - still about the trigger - I'm not sure I trust this small piece of plastic. I'd like to replace this articulated, two piece, six potential failure mode piece of junk with a solid trigger. Is this possible (or even legal, since I am defeating a safety device on a firearm)?

krs
February 15, 2009, 02:17 PM
Well, the guy who brought the thread back said he found it in a google search using "Sigma" as his keyword so at least we don't have to imagine that there is anyone churlishly poring over the bazillion threads that would arise using the in site search tool.

But.....what's with the "Allied Forces" version of a Sigma? Is it different or just carrying a rollmark?

Deltaboy
February 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
I called S&W told them my problem with the Trigger and they had me send it in and fixed it for Free. It breaks now at 5 1/2 pounds not 10 as it did when I got it.

GizmoHD
February 19, 2009, 12:30 AM
I would have to agree with hammerattack.. that is the EXACT same reason that I purchased mine today, Of course with it I purchased a handgun safe and a hundred rounds of 180 grain jacketed rounds to hit the range with this weekend.. I liked the price, and it felt good in my large hands.

DeltaBoy.. what was the turn around on the reworked trigger from S&W??

denfoote
February 19, 2009, 12:40 AM
The SW40F that I had way back when is still with me.

legion3
February 19, 2009, 05:25 AM
I called S&W told them my problem with the Trigger and they had me send it in and fixed it for Free. It breaks now at 5 1/2 pounds not 10 as it did when I got it.

Well why don't they just make the trigger this way to begin with! :confused:

spentshells
February 23, 2009, 01:26 AM
I got my sigma two weeks ago.So far I've put 500 rounds through it with four ftf's I believe caused by cheap ammo.ftf's only happened with silver bear russian ammo.So far the gun has preformed great.I read alot about the gun before i purchased it, mostly negative.I've chalked most of it up to glock owners wanting to rip it cause it looks similar.I bought a blackhawk serpa holster an now carry the sigma as my CCW.I read about ppl hating the trigger, my previous CCW was a taurus 850 I find the two trigger pulls close.I have no problem with the trigger pull though i noticed it has gotten a lil smoother after running a couple hundred through it

cAlvis
February 23, 2009, 04:34 PM
A lot of the sigma bashing you read about is for the older models. I have rarely seen anybody bash the VE series. S&W stepped up the quality control on the new models. Just worth noting that the horror Sigma stories you have heard are probably not stories about the one you're eying on the shelf at the gun shop.

dwhite
February 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
My 40VE is going on two years since purchase. Probably close to 2,000 rounds through it. It's been an outstanding weapon. No FT*'s of any kind even with my own reloads. I keep thinking about working on the trigger though.

All the Best,
D. White

dwg27
March 13, 2009, 05:53 PM
well guys help me out please i cant find very many accessory for my sigma 9 anybody got some good websites for me.

HippieMagic
March 13, 2009, 10:48 PM
I actually kinda like the trigger... it is definitely stiff but actually not all that bad. The one I was playing around with is my friend's and he just picked it up a few weeks ago and it had a stiff pull but it was clean and smooth... nice feeling trigger just a little on the hard side.

Deltaboy
March 14, 2009, 12:43 PM
I called Frank Smith at the S&W board who is a S&W Gunsmith for repair and warrenty work he fixed my Sigma trigger for free. Here's the good news for those who may not already know SW warranty centers will work on your Sigma trigger and its FREE ...yep Here's what you do on the back of your Instruction manual their are four warranty centers listed. The last one is in Texas LSG Manufacturing.
Contact Frank Smith phone: 325 885-2700. Tell him the problem you're having...he will give you instructions and shipping number to get the gun to him.

My turn around was 7 work days because he got sick.

bucaneer88
March 24, 2009, 01:14 PM
"A lot of the sigma bashing you read about is for the older models. I have rarely seen anybody bash the VE series. S&W stepped up the quality control on the new models. Just worth noting that the horror Sigma stories you have heard are probably not stories about the one you're eying on the shelf at the gun shop."

How can I tell if the Sigma I purchase is the latest generation, in which the trigger problems (and other quality issues) were resolved? Do the older "problem" versions have a different model number?

KCOLLINS18
March 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
I received my S&W Sigma (SW9VE) about a 6 weeks ago, It came with the case of course (4) High Capacity Clips, Warranty papers and Slide lock, all for 370.00 (that's including shipping and transfer of title). 2 weeks ago I shot it, the trigger is a bit tough to squeeze but I have gotten used to it and now its not bad at all, I actually prefer this type of trigger over the Springfield XD. All around the Sigma I think is a good gun for someone who wants a nice cheap gun that performs excellent.

n7kme
April 1, 2009, 03:44 PM
OK, Since I'm brand new here, and YES I found this thread by doing a Google Search on SW9VE, I'll take a few lumps as the FNG.
I bought a Sigma 9 VE from a guy that was selling everything he owned so he could move out of state to move he and his wife and their 4 kids in with his in-laws. (kind of thought he might use it on himself instead), but he sold me the 9 with two hi cap mags and a case and 50 rds of FMJ and 50 rds of HP for $175. I have as yet not had a chance to go out and shoot it, but my youngest son (26 years old) took it out last week and was impressed with the groups. He put 4 rounds rapid fire into a 3 inch group at 10 yards. At 10 feet the rapid fire group was more like 2 inches. I've heard all the bad crap about this little gun, but I have yet to actually find anything I dont like about this one.

yongxingfreesty
April 4, 2009, 01:06 AM
been posting here for a while, use to talk down on sigmas but they are pretty good guns. shot my friends and they shoot just as well as my glock/xd

cchris
May 5, 2009, 06:07 PM
Trigger pull is fair grounds for a complaint, but I still haven't heard a legitimate reason from Glock owners who criticize me why it's not a good gun in a reasonable price range. Those critics seem to always fall back on the trigger pull argument.

As for the accuracy, the last time I went to the range I fired one round at a 50 yard paper target (8.5x11) and managed to hit just a little high of the center. Of course I lined up the sights with the top of the paper and it may have been just lucky, but any gun that can hit good left to right at 50 yards is fine by me.

This same outing, my friend had his last excursion with his Hi-Point. He experienced a lot less jams that last time (75% of the rounds fired), but ultimately it was the inability to hit bullseye from 5 feet away and the metal shavings inside the gun when he took it apart that made him sell it - to some ricer kid who gave him $300 in car parts in exchange for the gun.

Out of curiosity, what result will not placing the coil spring back in the bottom of the sear assembly have? It was a pain to get back in there, so I gave up on it and dry fired a few times just to see if it would still fire.

MikeBoyd
June 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
I bought a Sigma .40 from Academy last winter and had a horrible time with the 12.5 pound, rough trigger.:mad: After much reading I sent it to Mr. Smith at LSG for warranty service and he replaced the trigger assembly with a new one, that now measured a little under 9 pounds and not quite as gritty.

after much research I purchased a polishing wheel and some fine jeweler's rouge for my dremel, disassembled the weapon and polished the metal parts of the cam ramp to a high luster, then lubed it light with some molybendium disulfide lubricant, wiped off the excess and reassembled it. Still a little over 8 pounds, but much smoother. After some more research, I removed the pigtail spring from the holding pin and reassembled it, still with the two original trigger springs in place. Now it pulls verrrry smoothly at less than six pounds and my groups are now where they used to be for me with the old M9 and 1911 I qualified with in the military. My 13 year old grandson and I put more that 100 rounds through it tonight with nary a FTF or FTE, even rapid firing. It feels better than a friends G23 I shot a few weeks ago.. As we cleaned it tonight, we both agreed, IT IS A Keeper after all.

I was very reluctant to remove any springs,:confused: but was at the end of patience with this weapon, now I love it and it will be my primary carry over my Cougar 8000 .40 or Bersa .380.

I found a site with pictures of the mods elsewhere, but was unable to relocate it tonight.:uhoh: I think it was the Smith and Wesson Forum, but am not absolutely sure. The light moly grease is much much better on the plastic to metal sliding friction than gun oil and will stay in place much longer and reduce wear increasing the life of the gun.;)

I now love my Sigma and will carry it lightly with confidence!!! :)

S&Wsigma
June 13, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I got to this site via GOOGLE as well. I have a Glock 30 and with the price of ammo on the 45's, my visits to the range were just getting too expensive. I didn't want to lay down another 500-600 dollars.

So I decided to start looking for a inexpensive 9 or 380. I saw the usual out there, HI POINT, KELTEC, JIMINEZ, etc. The 380 ammo is so scarce now...so I narrowed my search to mainly 9's. I did some research and for what you are getting with a SIGMA, there is no comparison.

I too heard the complaints on the trigger pull. Rented one from a local range when I went down with my GLOCK. I fired the weapon for several 100 rounds at the range. No problem. It is different from my GLOCK. Which has a very light pull. But with some adjustment, you can get use to it. I was pulling most of my shots to the right in the beginning. But its zeroed in...and I am getting tight groupings. Recoil is light compared to the 45.

It was an easy adjustment for me. It may not be for you. My suggestion to anyone on the fence is to go down to a local range that has a SIGMA and rent it for the day. I am going to send it to S&W for fixing to see if there is a difference. I will keep you guys posted.

Enjoy you shooting!

jakobe
June 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
I too found this thread on Google

I wanted to chime in
I have owned several revolvers and a small.22 semi auto pistol.

I always wanted a larger caliber auto pistol
I ran into and old friend who is a prison guard/cop here in town
we got to talkin and he mentioned he had this gun for sale for 200 bucks

a brand new (only fired 2 clips) Sigma 40ve.

after I bought it, I did a ton of research about the gun and was rather dissappointed at what I found, I thought I had bought a junk gun.

until I shot it
Yes the trigger is hard

but I have run at the very least 2000 rounds through this gun, with only a handful of fte or ftf

decently accurate

blazer
remington cheap stuff
remington gold sabers
generic range ammo
winchester
federal
corbon

fmj's
hollow points

I have run it all though the gun

I have not done any mods to the gun cept keep it clean.

I did add:
a laserlyte rail
ebay tac light
vented pachmyar grip

I dont like the trigger, and will have it lightened as soon as I find a gunsmith in town who can do it.

but I dont feel like i have to be all walkin on eggsshells when I handle it, I know the trigger is a safety feature and I trust it.

but for all the negative talk about this gun you might as well rip up the Glock too, as it is a dang Glock clone!

Glock even sued them over the design because it was dam near identical.

it is the same machine, with a few improvements over the Glock model it was cloned after, better sights, better grips and a better magazine eject.

I do see room for improvements, but you can always improve on anything from cars to guns and even women, that doesnt mean the one you have is a POS.

its a good gun for a good price.

kindkrimynal
June 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
i own the sw40ve. all i have heard about this weapon since my purchase was trigger stiffness this and gritty feel that. okay it is true, the trigger is tough and can be gritty. as you have no doubt read, this is done on purpose. the bottom line is this. 72% of gunshot wounds are not fatal. this is do in large part to the inexpeirience of shooters and the conditions of "battle". in the same breath, the human brain is incredible and chances are, the one or two times over your entire life span the average individual needs to draw and fire thier weapon in self defense, the entire action will seem to be a blur. this is because once adrenaline hits the blood stream the brain becomes less responsive to concious desire and more reactive to the situation. in short you don't think about it you just do it. which brings me to practice and preparation. the more you go to the shooting range and put rounds on targets, the more accurate you will become. the more you practice drawing your weapon from whatever position you usually carry it in, aquiring a target firing a round or double tap and returning the weapon to holster, the faster you will be. and the more you sit at home with an UNLOADED gun and pull the trigger until your forearms burn, the easier it will be for you to pull the trigger without moving the tip of the barrel. practice practice practice. there is absolutley no substitute for practice. and the one time you need to shoot in the real world, your brain will take over and put all of your practice into motion. no matter what weapon, no matter what the trigger pull weighs in at, knowing your weapon and being well practiced at firing are the two things that will matter. now if you absolutley need a 5lb. trigger on your sw9ve or sw40ve, there is a way to achieve it without sending your weapon off or taking it to a gunsmith.(while the following methods can be used at home by almost any compitent individual, i still suggest taking it to a professional. especially if you have a history of taking things apart and putting them back together with pieces left over!!) there are a few ways to lighten or smooth out the trigger pull on your ve. i will start with the easiest and end on the more ill-advised approach! keep in mind, most of these allterations are permanent and parts will need to be replaced should you screw up. also opening your weapon past the piont of fileld stripping may void the manufacturer warranty which would suck! the first thing you can do is file the pin retention button on your slide. that would be the silver button pushing out of the slide towards the back. if you notice, the transfer bar has a small knob sticking up that depresses this button when you pull the trigger. the knob on the transfer bar should be slightly filed as well. you do not want to remove a noticable amount of metal. you only want to leave smooth surfaces. next field strip your weapon. looking at the frame, you will see two pins one on the frame just above the trigger and the other on the frame just below the slide grips (or where they would be if the weapon was assembled). these two pins can be pushed out with a small flathead screw driver or a gun pin tool. back pin first paying attention to the direction the pins come out. (the forward pin should only come out in one direction without extreme force) two pieces will slide away from the gun frame. the hammer block assembly and the trigger assembley with the transfer bar attached by a small spring. once the trigger assembley is removed the slide lock will also fall loose. pay attention to how these pieces come away from the frame and do this very slowly. a small black bar should also fall away from the hammer block once removed this bar holds the block in place by way of the assembley pin. don't lose it! on the back of the hammer block assm. there are two visible springs held in place by two pins. the springs are arranged one over the other. carefully remove these tiny pins and the assm. wil come apart. measure the outer spring. stretch the spring out about 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch and then clip the spring back to the original legnth with wire cutters being careful not to warp the spring with your clipping tool. reassemble and dry fire about fifty times. you will not feel the final results until you have actually fired a live round but the way it feels now is about what you get. finally field strip the weapon. holding the slide this time slowly remove the plastic retaining clip at the very back of the slide. do this by prying down on the clip with a small flathead screwdriver. do this slowly as the extractor spring and pin sleeve will try to fly out. pull apart the slide. first pull out the extractor pin, then the extractor, then the firing pin sear and striker whatever. and finally remove the pin retainer(silver button) and it's tiny spring. stretch and cut this spring just as with the hammer block outer spring making sure not to stretch more than about 1/4 of an inch. clip back to original legnth. reassemble and dry fire. after firing a live round the difference will be very noticable and the comparison from factory to present will be night and day. if done correctly this trigger job will last the life of your pistol or at least of you. if over stretched, your springs may fail and will have to be replaced. this gun is pretty fool proof. i have done work on sigs(not that sigs need any work but why the hell not) glocks, kel tecs, taurus, and quite a few other weapons and i assure you, there is more room for error here than with almost any other make and model. have fun and be safe. if you need in depth instructions on dis or re assembley or would like to see video of me breaking down my sw40ve and using proper terms instead of eye to ear terms, e mail me at pentacleofisis@yahoo.com and i will make a new post.

DasFriek
June 26, 2009, 09:51 PM
HOLY paragraph abuse Batman!

kargo27
June 26, 2009, 10:09 PM
HOLY paragraph abuse Batman!

LOL!

I'm glad this thread exists because I love my Sigma 40 but don't particularly like the trigger travel and pull, either.

Edited to Add: I bought mine used from a pawn shop and it looked like no rounds had been fired through it. It was in pristine condition.

The only problem I had was a failure to feed the last round. It would lock open and I'd be staring at the last round thinking "***?". If anyone has this problem just lube your magazine. I dunked it in some Ed's Red and wiped it down. It cured it and I've had zero issues with it after that fix.

DarthCalvin
July 14, 2009, 08:22 PM
I bought my Sigma .40 new back in August of last year and have put almost a 1500 rds through it since then. I didn't buy mine for a target weapon. I bought mine for CCW. The sigma fit my hands better than the Glock which is what I originally intended to buy. But the price of the Sigma and it's fit finally sold me. The only problems I have had with it was 2 rounds failed to feed when I first bought it.

I had more problems with my service 1911 than I have "ever" had with this Sigma.

resq330
July 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
LOL!

The only problem I had was a failure to feed the last round. It would lock open and I'd be staring at the last round thinking "***?". If anyone has this problem just lube your magazine. I dunked it in some Ed's Red and wiped it down. It cured it and I've had zero issues with it after that fix.
Hey kargo27,

I too have experienced the failure to feed the last round with one of my magazines. I was about ready to just toss it. Can you enlighten me on how to go about cleaning it or lubing it? Take it easy, I'm a newbie. ;)

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
July 31, 2009, 10:25 PM
i have the 40CE Allied Forces edition. have had it for a few years now, bought it used form a pawn shop. ive since got 3 more mags for it. i can easily make a 3inch group with 28 rounds at 21 ft.

i carry it EVERY day in a grandfather oak kydex IWB holster and trust my life with it. i am 23years old and grew up shooting DA revolvers so the trigger is nothing for me. i love it and am currently looking for another so i have a matching pair.

here is mine.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/TheScooby/Guns/DSC_0038.jpg

KCOLLINS18
August 28, 2009, 09:16 AM
I have found that Remington 9mm bullets are a hair longer than the Blazer Brass 9mm bullets, the Remington always like to get jammed in my Sigma. Usually I can find the Remington ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods which are more expensive than the Blazer Brass of course. My dad has the 9mm XD and again the Remington ammo gets jammed in his as well so its definitly not the gun. Does anybody else have the same problems with the Remington ammo?

tdt91
August 28, 2009, 04:04 PM
The knife looks like a Kershaw1670TBLKST, correct?

hondian
August 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
I saw in post, from several years ago, where to get a trigger job, but could not contact them. Anyone know where to get it done now? The name of the smith was Tom Novak? At that time cost was $105.

fxstchewy
August 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
I have a S&W 40VE that has probably 800rds through it, i cleaned it the other day and noticed the Firing Pin Safety plunger button has some of the chrome or whatever it is plating coming off of it, it is metal on metal contact so i guess this would be normal? the gun works perfect, is this anything to be concerned with? Thanks.

dogspit
August 29, 2009, 09:28 PM
Wasn't that Roy Rogers Horse not a firearm?:banghead:

jakobe
November 24, 2009, 06:08 PM
okay update y'all

I have a newer sigma 40ve

the trigger was terrible and actually got worse
way too heavy and too gritty..I worked this guns trigger every chance I got for months
It never lightened up.

I was constantly off target
my shots were always low to the left..(I'm left handed)
I have shot thousands of rounds through this gun

soo....I was gonna trade it in but could only get about 225 for it

I decided to read up on some trigger mods

I removed my sear assembly in the body of the gun
and used my Dremel to polish every single surface to a mirror finish.

used a combination of the RED INK flat paper disks, the wire wheel, the polish pads and compound and also the plastic wisk.

took about 3 hours

I polished everything
including the plastic surfaces, the pins the pin race and all inner surfaces of the brackets

(BTW the metal "cam" had deep machine marks and even a "gouge" in the surface of the cam.)

PAY ATTN TO THIS:
contrary to popular belief the cam is not the only thing that causes grittiness. It is also the inner race of the metal cam part the part that the two pins are in

..this inner race has the same sloppy machined lines..polishing the inner oval slot was the hardest...but well worth it.

I also completely removed the big outer spring and the pigtail spring

lubed it up real well with some Dupont grease, designed for metal to metal or delrin plastic to metal contact.

polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish
polished the sear plate and the upper firing pin sear plate

then lubed the entire gun and wiped clean

re-assembeld

trigger is at least 50% lighter and silky smooth
I have heard from many that this mod will cause the sear to not reset

so I took it to the range today and popped off about 200 rounds
no one single jam or fail to reset...NOT ONE.
slow fire..rapid fire..sideways fire..works perfect
used basic Remington and Wolf target ammo and then a few rounds of Golden Sabres

and my gun barrel was generally dirty because although I cleaned and lubed the mechanicalls I dint feel like cleaning it completely

so this performance was improved even on a filthy gun

and now the gun fires extremely smooth and accurate
I will be permantely replacing my springs with the Wolf springs
but this will do for now.

and during this trip to the range I also was in the market for a .380 or single stack 9mm

so I shot these

KAHR pm9 - no jams in 100 (very nice and accurate but way over priced)
shot a KelTec pf9 NO JAMS in 100
Taurus 709 slim NO JAMS in 100

RUGER LCP .380..Jammed or failed to eject every 5th round
I actually broke the guns internals somehow
they are cheap dont buy one.

ended up buying both the Taurus 709 slim and the Kel-tec pf9 both to be used as CC

PincheOgro1
December 2, 2009, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure why the Sigma is still in production with the advent of the SW99? I've personally never even seen someone with a Sigma.
Brasso,

I just bought a SW40VE last month. I'm a new gun owner. Only been to the range once, so far, but I had no problem with the trigger pull. I think it's a "safety" issue anyway. There's no manual safety on the weapon. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase.

jasonuscg
December 15, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm yet another person who used Google to get here.

I bought a Sigma .40 S&W back in '99 I to knew about the 12.5 lb pull before I bought it. I had never shot DA guns before. At the time the only handgun in my possession was a Browning Buckmark - Camp Model "Slab side" (I love that gun). It took me a few boxes and a few hours at the range to get a feel for it, when it came it was like a light came on. I like the "safety" of the pull, hence the lack of a safety and also diminishes liability when putting holes in hostile soft targets.

I was active duty Coast Guard from '01 to '07, I spent quite a few hours qualifying, re-qualifying and carrying the Beretta M92F. Every time I picked up, loaded, holstered, drew, fired, emptied, etc the Beretta I wished for my Sigma. I don't like SA/DA or the need for a safety. The Sigma is simplicity, affordability and reliability.

I'm not a big man and I'm an IT (computers) by profession so no one else should have an excuse about the factory 12.5 lbs trigger pull.

I unfortunately parted with my Sigma in '06 due to a desire to purchase a plane ticket to visit then at the time my fiance. I pawn loaned that and my Buckmark for $250, gawd why did I do that?! Needless to say the day I was to bail them back out to myself she called me as I was just leaving my unit. I told her I had to cut it short and then I could call her back in 30 minutes, that did not happen. :scrutiny: In the course of the "conversation" I completely forgot why I had to cut her short. I missed the pawn shop close time by an hour and that was the last day to make a payment or bail them out for that month I had gotten paid that day and was going to get them back. I defaulted on the loan. I was sick. :barf:

I tried to plead with the shop owner but he was a total arsehole and told me to shove off in so many words. :cuss:

Anyway that is water under the bridge.

Now I'm in the market for another Sigma. I'm going to get another .40 S&W model. I'll get one from a local chain farm store called Farm King for $389. I was with my previous Sigma going to get a .357 Sig barrel for it, does anyone know of seller that has any at all? I found 3 or 4 places online back in '03-'05 that had either the S&W or an after market one. I really prefer .357 Sig over the .40 S&W.

While I was using Google to get here I found this. :what:
$50 Mail-in Rebate or Two Extra Magazines!!!!
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/promos/SW_Sigma_SV.jpg (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=753501&sectionId=10002)

I was like, "No freaking way!!!" I'm have to get one again, now.

Anyway someone please, if you know where to find the .357 Sig barrels for the .40 S&W, R.S.V.P. here.

Teale
December 20, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have myself just bought a sigma 40 cal and would like to know where you can get the trigger job done and for what cost. i would also like to know kind of accessiroes there are for these guns.

Thanks

martialartsblackbelt
December 20, 2009, 11:51 PM
i just baught one too orderd the 2 high cap mags.
you can send it to s&w and thell do it for free.
personally id love for it to be DA then SA
and id be find with the trigger pull.
my only complaint is double tap. im still getting a 4 inch grouping though
perhaps i just need to get used to it,
and as a CCW and home defense weapon i perfer the glock style finger on trigger
safety

ccsniper
December 21, 2009, 01:48 AM
talk about a thread that won't die

martialartsblackbelt
December 22, 2009, 10:03 PM
^^buy a sigma you elitist ^^

ccsniper
December 22, 2009, 10:30 PM
you talking to me? I plan on buying one, I actually like the way they look. I am just so surprised that a thread from 2004 is still wondering around on here.

martialartsblackbelt
December 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
oh yea, i was, just jacking with you tho

beouwlf39565
December 25, 2009, 08:32 AM
I just bought a .40 and here is a link to my first corny attempt at a video post on You Tube. It is about the .40 Smith & Wesson VE. I like the stiff trigger pull and feel more comfortable carrying a chambered round with no safety because of it. I have had two other Smiths, an 8" barreled Smith & Wesson Model 53 as a teenager that was extremely accurate and in 79 I bought a 459 that I liked almost as much as this 40VE. I hope this sways some to re-think re-doing the trigger spring to maintain that extra margin of safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yob9U35LwtY

beouwlf39565
December 25, 2009, 08:38 AM
I think it is good that the thread and the .40VE are still around. The dealer warned me about the pull before I bought it and allowed a dry fire. I had an HK VP70 Z once that was all double action and you just about needed a pair of pliers to pull that trigger after a few clips. The pull on this Smith is no way near as hard.

HICKTOWN
December 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have owned my 40 s&w for about a year now. I paid $300 for it and it came with a 10 and 14 round clip, a hard case and holster. I have shot alot of hand guns in this catagbory and I absolutly LOVE this gun. Granted the triggar pull is alittle harsh but I like that fact because me 5 year old cant pull it. I have noticed that it gives me a more acurate shot and when speed fired it will not and has never jammed on me like my baretta 9 did. Anyone who says that this gun is junk has never shot one as fa as I'm oncerned. Smith & Wesson hit the nail on the head with the sigma series. Just remember shoot hard, strait , and safe.

SilverDragn
January 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
I too found this thread from a google search.

Hey jasonuscg Thanks so much for posting the link for the rebate program. I bought my new SW9VE on new years eve, The last day of the program. When I went to S&W website they were only advertising the new one from Jan 1st to April 30th.

This is my first gun and really the first time I have shot since leaving the navy a little over a year ago.

Took this thing to the range today to test this whole trigger pull thing and noticed nothing really hard about it. That was until i tried left handed. Stood there squeezing the trigger wondering if this thing will ever shoot. Only problem I had out of 100 rounds was a casing not getting shot out fast enough and jamming up. Though it was also the first round of the American eagle 115 grain FMJ. The winchester Ammo I bought at another store worked fine.

rlowde0f
February 4, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hello all first post but did alot of searching and have the following about the Sigma trigger. I bought mine in December and the sales guy told me there was no fix for the way the trigger was and that I would have to live with it. well after a few hundred rounds I realized that the gun was a better shooter than me, and I was not anywhere near accurate with it as I am used to my CZ75 P01 and the trigger is single action after the first shot. So I looked around in google and found that you all recommended Tom Novak, I found the idea of paying for the trigger job a bit too much. So I called the company on the warranty card (LSG) and spoke with I think his name was Frank Smith and explained that the trigger was heavy and gritty. Well after a few minutes an email was sent to me with a shipping label and instructions and he reworked the trigger under warranty and without voiding any warranty and I have to say it is very very acceptable now. I am assuming as I have no gauge for measuring, that the pull is under 6 pounds, which is by far half what it used to be. So this was a thanks to all of you and a heads up for anyone else!

Maxwell4045
February 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
just got a reply back from S&W about the Sigma trigger pull.
they say that once you get adjusted to the trigger pull it will target just fine.
i questioned them about a lower front sight and they said it could cause targeting problems down the road whe the gun gets broken in and you get used to the trigger.
they also recommended not having the trigger worked on.
not exactly the answer i was looking for, but i guess it will have to do.
Maxwell4045

scarab362
February 14, 2010, 06:58 PM
i just purchased my new .40 sigma and inspite of all the bad post and bad replies that i have read, i can tell all the bashers of the sigma are all full of crap. I'm sorry if you don't like what i post (this means you don't have to read it). i will not argue the fact that the trigger pull is a little much and i have read some that say its a safety feature. i have 4 kids and all i can say is that if I'm out of the bed its on me somewhere. when i go to bed its put in a secure location that no one know(except my wife that is). I will be contacting S&W concerning this issue because of the face that I carry this weapon as my primary weapon(CCW). i haven't put hundreds of rounds through my weapon, but i do intend to do very soon. i will post as soon as i get back from the range. thanks for this site.

martialartsblackbelt
February 14, 2010, 11:54 PM
had mine for 6 month. NO falure to Feeds, NO Falure to Ejects.
run over 300 rounds so far.
i Love it

TXHarleyDude
February 17, 2010, 01:09 AM
Wow, this has got to be one of the worlds longest single issue thread postings.

I have had my Sigma SW40F since 1995 and really like it. It has spent most of its time in the Blue Carrying Case and I seldom fill the 16 round mags due to weight issues. If you "can’t hit with eight, it may be to late". Since finally going for and getting my CCW last month here in AZ, I have started going to an indoor range on a weekly basis and have really gotten to know my Sigma. Its trigger pull finally got me looking for answers, so here I am with my two cents worth.

Even though I have cleaned it many times I never really examined the working, closely. Shame on me. I must say now I see why S & W may be so quick to fix trigger issues with no questions asked. Poor “Quality Control” has been what my Sigma has suffered from all these years and I didn’t use it enough to know it.

Here is what I found. First, the “Striker Safety Plunger” and “Safety Plunger Spring” were binding and rough in their action. When I removed them from the slide I found lots of small metal chips. The machined recess for the safety plunger was apparently never cleaned well prior to the slide assembly.

Second, the raised tab on the “Trigger Bar Assembly” was barely contacting the striker safety plunger, hence the plunger wanted to “bind” a bit before it finally got depressed during trigger pull. I re-aligned and polished the tab on the trigger bar that contacted the safety plunger for a smoother more positive action. Be careful here, because if you go to far you will create a bullet feed problem.

Thirdly, I polished the appropriate sear block and striker assembly surfaces and the feed ramp on the barrel. And lastly, I purchased a Wolf Standard Recoil Spring (17 Lb.), Steel Guide Rod and 4.75 Lb. Striker Spring to replace the stock striker spring from S & W and the plastic recoil spring assembly.

Well, it was worth all the effort. My SW40F is now a really great carry piece. Trigger pull is smooth, but still firm, which is what I like. For those of you with weak fingers who use the Sigma as your primary carry, and want a light trigger, get a different gun. Non-Standard Striker springs are for competition use only and should not be used in the Sigma for any other purpose. Don’t have to learn the hard way.

First Strike
March 13, 2010, 02:05 AM
I contacted Frank Smith at the smith and wesson warranty center and he told me do to online post that he will no longer do trigger work on the sigmas he gave me the number to S and W head quarters and they told me that they will not touch it a lot of it had to do with ship
ing cost even if u offer to pay shipping they will not work on it.

CenterTree
March 26, 2010, 11:36 AM
I contacted Frank Smith at the smith and wesson warranty center and he told me do to online post that he will no longer do trigger work on the sigmas he gave me the number to S and W head quarters and they told me that they will not touch it a lot of it had to do with ship

Welllll, THAT REALLY sucks! I was just getting excited about sending my 9ve out to S&W for the fix.:(

Hann
March 26, 2010, 11:48 AM

Just do it yourself.

The 3.5 pound striker spring is $3.50 from Wolf, the metal guide rod with 15 pound recoil spring is $30 from Wolf, the internals polishing can be done yourself with a piece of 10 cent sand paper. The entire job shouldn't take more than 15 minutes at the most and requires no complex tools, just a small, skinny, flat head screw driver.

omarpeeeee
March 26, 2010, 06:40 PM
I just go my Sigma 40VE today. Trigger pull isnt that bad. Pretty accurate too. waiting till the 15th of April to get the Crimson Trace lazer for it.

First Strike
March 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
I must typ this rebuttal after sevaral phone calls back and forth with Mr.smith he did accept my 40VE for warranty work on doing trigger work.I have herd of to many problems with light strikes with the wolf 3.5 pound striker spring. And doing any mods on the gun your self I.e sanding or polishing your self will void the life time warranty. And this is my carry gun. Having the work done under warranty and documentation of so will remove any liability in a self defence situation. It took a lot of string pulling on Mr.Smith part to have the work done so I'm not sure how many more he will work on so all I can say is best of luck. And. Frank smith is a vary nice guy to deal with all I can say is call him and try but for me it wasent easy.

mdug59
March 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
picked up a colt 1911 in Jan,my son hit some hard times in Feb so I bought his Glock 23 and today my son in law (also hitting hard times)needed 200 so I bought his SW40VE. At first I thought that I was just doing some in the family welfare but after searching the "net" I think I might hang on to this little sows ear/silk purse gem.I cant believe this thread started in 04.
I am going to start reloading soon and I have read about issues with the Glock concerning firing reloads through it,hope that this S&W fills the bill.....I can load new brass for the G23 and used for the SW.Anyhow wanted to keep the thread alive God Bless

Farb
April 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'll be picking up my Sigma 9 at the show in Fayetteville this weekend. Even after all the bad reviews about trigger pull I've STILL decided to go with this one for OC/CC. I use a Kel-Tec P3AT for CC right now and it's DA trigger isn't that bad. However, when I let my friends shoot it they go, "Egad, what a long trigger pull." Oh well, it's for up close and personal defense, IMHO, and will serve it's purpose well if ever needed. I can hit center of mass at 5 yards without taking aim down the sights (or lack thereof!).

Farb
April 6, 2010, 03:18 PM
Well, I picked it up on Saturday and spend some time at the range on Sunday. My shooting buddy brought 2 Glock 9s and a 45 for comparison. The Sigma targeted great right out of the box but the trigger pull was a bit more than I expected. I ran about 200 rounds through it and don't have any problems with that part of the equation. . .

I'm not crazy about modding the gun (changing/cutting springs) just yet so I'm going to do a fluff and buff on all of the components in question and see what happens.

Farb
April 8, 2010, 08:41 PM
Four days later and this is where I'm at. . . I did a half-fast polishing of the sear and related components and decided to do the spring mod and removed the outer spring and the pigtail spring. Once reassembled, the sear failed to reset Consistently!!!

I took it apart again and saw nothing wrong. I reassembled and it dry fired repeatedly? What??

To hell with that, I did a LOT more polishing on the sear and striker pieces and reinstalled the pig tail spring. WOW! What an improvement. I took it to the range and the release was a lot smoother and cleaner. It still has that long DA action that I'd expect but the drop off is very clean! I ran 155 and 124 mixed bag ammo through it and had no failures.

It DOES target quite well. I'm happy!

First Strike
April 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
I just got my gun back from Frank Smith and I don't feel any different than before I sent it out actually it's worse (***) not happy at all.

jwsir2u
April 17, 2010, 09:58 AM
I called Frank Smith last week and he told me there was no more work being done on the triggers under warranty. he also told me to give it time to break in. I've only had it (SW9VE) for about 3 weeks and I've only shot 300 rounds. I am getting used to the trigger and getting better with accuracy.
Thanks for the thread guys

9mmSigma
April 19, 2010, 07:41 PM
so after reading many posts regarding removal of the "pigtail" spring, I did so and also highly polished all internals. Just to note, this "pigtail" spring has nothing at all to do with how hard the trigger pull is!!!! That spring is there to reset the sear when the gun gets cocked back from shooting a live round, and resets the next cycle. By removing that spring, if you were to hold down the trigger, the next round would not be cocked since that sping is not there to "KICK" back the sear for the next round.

Experiment: Cock the gun, pull back the slide, pull the trigger, hold the trigger down and recock the gun. Nothing will happen!!! It will not rearm itself. Why, because the sear has no spring to push it back!!!

All I did was highly polish all my metal on metal contacts, on the sear, the trigger arm and alittle on the slide itself. This substantially decreased the trigger pull!!!

Kafziel
April 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
This thread has lasted 5 times longer than my marriage did...

Deltaboy
May 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
Love my Sigma 40 VE

y2khonorsgrad
May 9, 2010, 03:22 AM
Recently, my wife and myself took the Texas CHL class as a step to prepare to carry weapons with us as we begin traveling on our bikes. We started last year pulling a trailer and camping out and realized how exposed we were to the cazyness of the world. Nowhere to hide on a motorcycle or in a tent. She just got her license in the mail yesterday. Right after the class, she had hastily went out and bought her/our first gun by the feel in her hand only. It is a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm. It has had alot of problems jamming and went back to the factory within the first week and was gone for two weeks. We have it back now and it still has problems but not as much. She has,from the beginning had to use both of her first fingers on both hands to pull the trigger. S&W said they would not alter the trigger when they took it in for the jamming. She gave up on it and now it is "mine". I have no problem with the trigger and since I have not really done any shooting, would not even know how hard it is to pull compared to others. It groups well, it is just the jamming that is so frustrating, especially since S&W took a close look at it and declared it good to go. We have shot about 500 rounds through it and have had about 25 to 30 jams, sometimes several in a row. The CHL class advised against modifying for a "hair trigger" below factory specs because past legal cases indicate intent if it was used in a shooting. All new to me!

martialartsblackbelt
May 10, 2010, 11:12 PM
i have the sigma .40 and have yet to have one Jam.

Davek1977
May 11, 2010, 07:19 AM
Somewhere in the realm of 500 rounds through mine, and I've yet to have any sort of malfunction, shooting loads between 115 grains and 147, FMJ and HP both. For the $250 I gave for the gun, it does all I could ever ask it to

ET
May 11, 2010, 12:15 PM
Ok, I am now a part of a six year old thread. I purchased my Sigma 40ve over a year ago and shot about 1000 rounds through it with no problems. I let a friend take it to the range and he brought it back broken (go figure). I called S&W and they emailed the shipping label to send it back. I enclosed a note in the case asking them to also smooth out the trigger pull action while they had it apart. I received it back in approx. 3 weeks. It works fine and the trigger pull is a lot better now. The grinding grainy feel is almost completely gone. They must have done the same polishing that others are talking about. I now like it as well as my 2 Glocks if not better. S&W will still work on the trigger mechanisms if you ask nicely!

I will return to this thread in 6 years to update everyone...if I'm still alive!!!!

Rail Driver
June 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
I just traded my Rossi 461 .357 for a SW40VE, and I must say I'm pleased with the deal. The gun feels nice in my hand (although I do plan on getting a slip on grip with finger grooves) and balances much better than the Kahr I looked at before this piece. The trigger, as noted many many times before, is fairly heavy, and as a safety feature I don't disagree with it however as a carry piece, I am considering the polish job outlined here in a few different places. I also want to find some night sights (these white dots are just as invisible as the rest of the gun in the dark!) and do some artistic polishing on the outside of the slide for a "custom" look. I'm in the process of polishing the exposed portions of the barrel to a mirror finish using sandpaper and eventually metal polish and I've already got what is shaping up to be a great gun.

The only quibble I have with it is that the frame seems to turn up just a little bit right at the end of the barrel starting midway down the accessory rail area... Any ideas or advice about this?

fiveredapples
August 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
Add me to the list of 'got here by Google'. Well, I have nothing substantive to add, but I thought it would be entertaining to continue this marathon thread. Today I did though put 20% down on my new SW9VE. I'll be paying $370 total, plus I get two free mags or $50 back -- and that's in ************. Not bad. I did a little research before I opted for the Sigma, and so I know about the trigger pull and the problem with the slide locking on the last round. From what I've read, the latter problem is mainly owing to mags. The trigger problem, if it is a problem, can be remedied fairly cheaply, if not free, so I'm excited about getting to the range. It'll be the first time I shoot a handgun since 1986, in bootcamp. Thanks for the info from everyone. Yes, I read every one. I'll come back to report after the my first outing.

rd2007
August 4, 2010, 04:38 AM
ha ha, I made it from boot camp (RTC Orlando) in 1986 until Bosnia in 2005 without shooting anything other than a 12 gauge "qual" off the fantail of the USS America. I realize this has nothing to do with the Sigma trigger, but it does match well with the post above.
My son says the trigger on his Sigma 9mm has become better over time.

doc540
August 4, 2010, 12:20 PM
re: Sigma trigger "fix"

call S&W customer service

tell them your trigger is rough and gritty

DO NOT tell them it's "stiff"

they email a shipping label

ship frame to S&W

two weeks later they return a vastly improved trigger system

end

drussellh
August 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
I have a SW99 40 cal. DA/SA. I replaced the sear block housing with one from Walther. Anyone think that might be a problem. It installed easy, and everything works, but I have not been out to the range yet.

lowrider
September 28, 2010, 01:08 AM
I purchased a Sigma 40 today. My next door neighbor bought one in April and we went out to shoot it. wOw was it accurate. So S & W ran the same rebate now and for the same $299 before taxes and after rebate I bought one. When I said to the salesman I was interested in buying it (after I had spoken to him over the phone) he said the trigger is like 12 lbs. I said "that's odd, I don't remember it being stiff when I shot it". Sure enough, it was not only stiff but looooong. I tried them all and some were really hard with a shorter trigger pull, some had a really long pull, one had a lot of upfront creep, and one was moderate with a shorter trigger pull. So I bought that one. It still has a little creep but the pull is not that hard and only requires a little over a half of its' available trigger-travel for it to go "bang".

I will get to the range with my neighbor's Sigma 40 and compare the two. It sure shot sweet enough for me to buy one experiencing even better accuracy than my Springfield XD-45 Compact. And that's saying a lot since the latter is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

latebychoice
September 30, 2010, 05:37 AM
I've had a Sigma 40 (SW40VE) for about a year now. I've never really noticed the tirgger pull affecting my accuracy, maybe the speed it can be shot accuratly. But other than that it's a great pistol without breakin' the bank.

Black Butte
October 2, 2010, 02:14 AM
Sigma SW9F Why? Wanted an inexpensive and fun "junker," but refused to buy a Hi-Point.

killchain
October 2, 2010, 08:54 AM
I smell something.

All of the sigma love postings are from people with extremely low post counts, some even as low as one. When I google a firearm and see a post on a forum that I disagree with, I don't sign up just to spout some technobabble to compare the trigger to a Glock.

If they're legit, then I apologize. But I don't think they are.

Rail Driver
October 2, 2010, 09:25 AM
@killchain, I dunno about any of the others but I own a Sigma .40 and I like it quite a lot. No, I don't work for S&W.

@Black Butte, because even poor people want their guns to look nice.

Crosser
October 2, 2010, 05:14 PM
I smell something.

All of the sigma love postings are from people with extremely low post counts, some even as low as one. When I google a firearm and see a post on a forum that I disagree with, I don't sign up just to spout some technobabble to compare the trigger to a Glock.

I've gotta low count....for a coupla years, something was amiss on the internal post count on this site....

writerinmo
October 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have what I consider to be a low post count, but then have been pretty busy with life over the past few years to spend a lot of it yapping on forums of any type... but I do own a Sigma, the SW40VE, and I have no problems with the trigger as it came from the factory, but then I have a bit of experience shooting revolvers in DA and find it pretty comparable to that. Mine isn't 'gritty' or anything like that, just loooong.

And Black Butte, nothing wrong at all with the Hi Points for some decent inexpensive shooters. While definitely not to be considered for concealed carry, my C9 Comp in 9mm and JCP in .40 have proven to be accurate and reliable in the hands of someone with experience in firing and maintaining firearms.

Here's a 15 yard target from the SW40VE yesterday. Wanted to check out the POA after replacing the stock front sight with a HiViz fiber optic one made for a Glock. I'm happy with it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/handymanks/SW%20SW40VE/scan0001.jpg

sauerquint
October 24, 2010, 06:28 PM
so after reading many posts regarding removal of the "pigtail" spring, I did so and also highly polished all internals. Just to note, this "pigtail" spring has nothing at all to do with how hard the trigger pull is!!!! That spring is there to reset the sear when the gun gets cocked back from shooting a live round, and resets the next cycle. By removing that spring, if you were to hold down the trigger, the next round would not be cocked since that sping is not there to "KICK" back the sear for the next round.

Experiment: Cock the gun, pull back the slide, pull the trigger, hold the trigger down and recock the gun. Nothing will happen!!! It will not rearm itself. Why, because the sear has no spring to push it back!!!

All I did was highly polish all my metal on metal contacts, on the sear, the trigger arm and alittle on the slide itself. This substantially decreased the trigger pull!!!

I've removed my pigtail spring, and I did your experiment. It works fine. :what::confused:

Dunno.

But then I'm just another guy with a low post count.

HspncElvis
October 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
Amazes me how others who have very little to no experience with a Sigma trash it. I am very happy with my SW9VE. Takes practice, but don't all firearms? I don't bad mouth other makes or models. I just talk about how happy I am with my Sigma 9mm. Accurate and reliable. :D

bds
October 25, 2010, 02:19 AM
I smell something.

All of the sigma love postings are from people with extremely low post counts, some even as low as one.
killchain, I hope it's not your upper lip.

I was an owner of a SW40VE and the trigger pull was firm, but not 12 lbs. It shot very accurate but I wanted pistols that did fast double-taps so I traded with someone who was used to heavy DA revolver trigger - he's happy and accurate with it.

My M&P45 came with 7 lb trigger from the factory and it shot OK. With a trigger job, it is now around 4.5 lbs and produces consistent tight double-taps and 1.5"-2.0" groups at 20 yards. Although I did not try a trigger job on the Sigma, I am sure it would have transformed into a different gun.

I think S&W maybe thinking that they are marketing to revolver converts to semi-autos, hence the "heavier" trigger. Had I done a trigger job on the Sigma, I may still have it.

fiveredapples
November 13, 2010, 04:13 AM
First off, I like my SW9VE. When I first got it, I took it to the range and put about 200 rounds through it. Trigger pull was about 10 to 12 pounds as advertised, which was too heavy for my liking. The gun, though, was rather accurate -- even though the hard trigger caused me to drift to the right on the pull. Anyway, I did the trigger fix of removing the pigtail spring and swapping out the outer of the two springs for a lighter one. I used the spring from a pen and cut it down to size.

I put 150 rounds through the gun afterwards with no problems, and I like the trigger pull now. I'd say the trigger pull is between 5 to 7 pounds now. But it has way too much creep and is awfully gritty.

Do any of you know a fix to shorten the creep and smooth out the grittiness?

glaicius
December 3, 2010, 08:45 PM
Before I dive into this issue, here are my creds: I have 10 years of prior military experience dealing with weapons. I'm presently in law enforcement and currently a Firearms Instructor.

I'm just posting my opinion on certain topics that have been stated on this long long issue of the SIGMA being a good or bad weapon. And while my creds do not make my statements golden, they are educated statements.

So here we go:

I bought a SIGMA in .40 about a year ago for my wife. The price and rebate ( I chose the free mags) were too enticing and a bargain IMHO. Prior to purchasing the SIGMA, my wife and I tested the Glock 27, 23, 23C; H&K P2000, P2000SK; Sig Sauer P229 and the Springfield XD compact. All in .40 cal.

I carry both of the H&Ks since they're supplied by my employer. Personally I'd rather carry the Springfield XD for dutysince I find it more accurate and the trigger pull is just right for me.

I'm not gonna try to compare the SIGMA with any of the above weapons since that'd be comparing apples to oranges. But I will tell you that the SIGMA is a good weapon, it may not be an excellent weapon as the ones forementioned but a good one nonetheless. I have found it to be accurate, more so than my H&Ks. Don't ask me how, I just know that I have used it and put it through the same quarterly qualification course and performed better with it, with better groupings except from the 25 yard line. Does it have a stiff, grittier trigger pull? Abosolutely. Is it horrible? Well, that all depends.

The topic of reliabiltity, trigger pull and others will have a different spin depending on who you ask and relative to the operator/critic's experience.

I don't think the SIGMA was designed for field use, Fed Agencies, PDs, etc. This issue is evident when you examine the construction of the weapon. But, I do believe the SIGMA will be a good weapon when it comes to home protection ( I know..Iknow...for home protection a shotgun is where is at) and personal protection for your average firearm purchaser.

The trigger pull issue is also relative to the operator's experience. Take me for example....I have been carrying nothing but Double Action pistols and I started with a Beretta 92 and from there moved onto a Beretta 96D. Both of those have a heavy trigger pull, even though I do admitt that not the grittiness of the SIGMA. I'm sure if you ask some gun owners whom are used to Single Action only their reviews of the trigger pull would be horrible. Kimber owners come to mind for the above statement. (BTW, Kimbers are sweet weapons.)

I thought about doing some of the trigger mods and striker pin mod to the SIGMA but after reading contradicting reviews from several forums and from sites that sell the Wolf springs, I decided against it.

I'll just get my wife to the range more often. BTW, she's 5'3" and in average fitness condition and she doesn't have any difficulty pulling the trigger. This said, I think that after 200 rounds she may start experiencing some finger cramping but I'm mainly concerned with her ability to squeeze the trigger when the absolute need arises.

All in all I think the SIGMA is a good weapon that in my opinion won't fail you if you are the average user. And for a weapon that sells for a couple of hundreds of dollars less than the ones that are usually mentioned is this forum....well you get the picture.

Stumpknocker
December 6, 2010, 02:00 PM
I smell something.

I wonder if there's another thread on THR that has generated as many new members as this one? I know I found the forum because of this thread showing up in Google results while searching for "Sigma trigger fix" or something like that. After reading what existed of this thread then (on 9/1/2010), I looked at the rest of the forum, liked what I found and joined.

I had bought my Sigma a couple of months earlier and had put 200 rounds through it at that time, and my only concern was the trigger pull. It was certainly accurate enough, comfortable to shoot, not too big to carry, and was such a bargain I almost bought another before the rebate ran out, but I found a Belgian-made Browning Lite 12 I wanted more!

I have a suspicion a lot of these "low-post-count" members were in the same boat I was - looking for an affordable yet well-made weapon from a reputable manufacturer. To find a new S&W ANYTHING for around $300 was just a little hard to imagine. Throw in the $50 rebate or two new mags (I got the 2 high-cap mags) and something just had to be wrong with these guns. So, what's the first thing most folks do these days when they want to know about something? Why, Google it, of course!

So there are probably a lot of folks who, like me, bought the weapon because it seemed like such a good deal and they hoped there was a fix for the heavy trigger after they bought it. There are also lots of folks researching their choices before purchase, and I think it's nice to see a thread where people with actual first-person experience with the new Sigmas are giving their 2 cents worth. It balances out the many threads where of a bunch of gun snobs who heard about someone having trouble with a 1997 model Sigma having FT* problems with hand-loads or cheap Russian ammo declare all Sigmas to be cheap pieces of :cuss:. They act like their Glocks, Kahrs, Sigs and 1911s have never once had an issue.

So maybe we haven't all posted several hundred times on THR before posting about our Sigmas, but that doesn't mean the posts we do make are any less valid. I visit THR almost every day, and I learn something almost every time I visit. But I'm not a post-whore trying to make myself feel important by the number of posts I have, so I only post when I feel I have something worthwhile to add to the thread. I hope this post does as much.

HspncElvis
December 20, 2010, 01:09 PM
I own a SW9VE. I have put 1000 rounds through it. Trigger takes some getting used to. All it takes is practice. I don't see what the big deal is. :D I've figured out my Sigma and I'm having some fun with it. I find the Sigma to be accurate and reliable. For me, trigger is not a problem.

Few months ago a friend bought a Glock 17. After putting several hundred rounds through my Sigma, I picked up his Glock for the first time and was dead on at 25 yards. My point is the Sigma makes you a better shooter. If you can figure out the Sigma, you can figure out just about any handgun. ;)

matt440
December 30, 2010, 10:40 PM
I love my sigma! trigger sucks but anyone that knows how to shoot should be able to compensate for that and shoot it fairly accurately.

Mags
December 30, 2010, 10:56 PM
What's with all the single digit posters in this thread from 2004?:eek:

MidwestRookie
December 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
well it was started by someone who still only has 1 post..fate, I guess..

Vettewine
December 31, 2010, 02:38 PM
Geez, you guys are tough on newbies...! I've been watching (not posting to) this forum for quite some time, now, and find lots of interesting info posted to it. However, I must put in my 2-cents worth on the Sigma. I have been shooting and reloading for over 35 years and own many rifles, revolvers, shotguns and semi-autos. I purchased a SW9VE last year and it shot reliably and accurately right out of the box. But I can't leave anything alone so I proceeded to rework the trigger mechanism, smoothing contact surfaces and replacing a couple of springs. Yes, I removed the pigtail spring and it makes no difference in the operation of the gun other than to eliminate unnecessary wear on the "plastic" housing.

You can spend more and get a lot less for your money than with a S & W Sigma...!

ET
December 31, 2010, 10:28 PM
I smell something.

Just because they are new posters doesn't mean that they are lying. Not all the posts on this thread are from the newbies. If you don't want to believe that the Sigma is a good gun for the money that is your right. I happen to know that my Sigma is a good reliable gun that can be purchased for under $300. The trigger isn't that bad and can be worked on if it isn't what the owner wants.

edwood
January 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
I think that people who have a problem with the trigger do not know how to control their gun. Its not a comp gun, its for self defence. The stiff trigger on a SD gun is fine. I can shoot it well. One just has to control the finger pull, with a bit of practice its not a problem. For the cost 250 with three mags for my new SS gun is cheap. And compared to my Glock 19 the grip is much better. I like my Glock but the Sigma is fast becoming a fav. Just like I love my Walthers, PP, PPK PPKS. but I have a Bersa that feels better in my hand, and has never had a problem, and for 179 how can you beat the price. I think people who are band loyal will over look any neg. to show how much they love a logo.

edwood
January 5, 2011, 04:04 PM
I just did the pig tail and sear replacment spring fix. I polished the sear with car bugging grit and a dremmel and it made the trigger about 70% better. It took about 15min from start to finish. This video helped.

The great thing is that I kept the parts and if it has to go back to Smith I can just put in the old springs in 10 min and ready to go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_28440&v=iesiGtC8y1g&feature=iv

Vettewine
January 5, 2011, 06:14 PM
I'm starting to think there are a few posters on this forum that are only interested in bashing the Sigma. I think it rude of them to do so as I don't sign on to another forum just to bash the type of gun they're discussing. Almost all types and brands of pistols have issues or problems and finding great solutions to them is what most of us on these forums are about and not just to spout off about one gun over another... :neener:

HspncElvis
January 11, 2011, 12:28 AM
Mags, who cares when the thread started? Fact is, some are seeing it for the first time. And by the way, my SW9VE is a fine handgun. 1150 rounds and still going strong. And get this. Accurate and reliable!! :neener:

Vettewine
January 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Amen to that, HspncElvis. I'll put my Sigma up against any others in the same price range... and it's US-made...!:neener:

HspncElvis
January 12, 2011, 12:38 AM
Vettewine, I agree with you. Some bash the sigma, some love it. Those who bash it I ask why? If it's not for you, ok! If you can't figure out the Sigma, ok! Those of us who have figured out the Sigma shoot with accuracy. If I don't like another make or model, I'm not going to bash it. I'm thinking it's not for me. Might be ok for others. :what:

Whiners!! :barf:

theoldgoat
February 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
so after reading many posts regarding removal of the "pigtail" spring, I did so and also highly polished all internals. Just to note, this "pigtail" spring has nothing at all to do with how hard the trigger pull is!!!! That spring is there to reset the sear when the gun gets cocked back from shooting a live round, and resets the next cycle. By removing that spring, if you were to hold down the trigger, the next round would not be cocked since that spring is not there to "KICK" back the sear for the next round.

I would agree with this post, and yes I am a new-be and this is my first post, and yes I found this thread on Google. I like many others removed the pigtail spring first thing on my SW9F. It made a world of difference on the trigger pull. The SW9F does not have the outer spring like the newer Sigmas so I did not remove, stretch, or cut an outer spring. I then did a polish job on everything that moves and makes contact with anything else and felt quite pleased with my $225 second hand gun.

After reading the post about "do not remove the pigtail spring" I did as the poster stated and the gun failed to reset the striker about 20% of the time. I dry fired the gun, did not release the trigger, racked the slide and then released the trigger. I did this several times and the trigger will reset about 4 out of 5 times. I reinstalled the pigtail spring and it will reset every time now. I do not have the hard trigger pull with the pigtail spring reinstalled that I had when I first tried to modify it by removed the pigtail spring.

I want a gun that is 100% reliable. This is one of my truck guns and I have learned to live with the long trigger pull and even prefer it for a defense weapon.

doc540
February 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
call S&W customer service

tell them your Sigma trigger is "rough and gritty"

DO NOT tell them it's "STIFF"

They'll email postage for returning the frame.

About two or three weeks later they'll ship it back to on their dime.

It will be dramactially improved, much smoother, and will seem less resistant.

They've done four of mine exactly like that.

geosigma
February 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hi All -

I just talked with Frank @ LSG. He can & is willing to do the service for the trigger lightening - just not for free. Like myself, he's a one person shop and gets tons of calls per day on this issue. This erroneous post has directly cost him lots of money (time).

Most are reasonable when they find out the shipping is not incl. (too good to be true) and some are not. Either way, this poor guy is getting swamped unnecessarily.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

George

PS -- I also called S&W -- they claimed the free repair was an "urban legend" (again, too good to be true).

kelman
February 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have been reading this post for awhile, and am thinking about getting the S&W SIGMA 9mm from Acadamy http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearms/landing&start=8&selectedSKU=10+S%26W+SIGMA+40+AND+9
Does anyone know if this is the same gun?

Thanks,
Kevin
http://all4him.zapto.org/CTCS/index.php

Vettewine
February 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
Yup, Kelman, that's the baby and it's a great price (same as what I paid at Bud's Gun Shop 6 months ago). Hope they still have it at that price as I think that S & W still has the $50 rebate or 2 extra mags...! Sweet...!

kelman
March 1, 2011, 10:17 AM
I think I will be picking mine up this weekend. Only decision now is .40 or 9mm

Vettewine
March 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
I, personally, prefer the 9 mm as there are a lot more reloading choices and the mag capacity is more. However, the choice is yours to make and either one will serve you well...!:D

Zebra365
March 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm a new poster, but not new to guns or amateur gunsmithing.

The trigger pull weight of a gun, particularly a double-action (I'm not going to get into the debate about "it's not double action because it doesn't have a hammer"), is dependent on two things: friction and springs.

The design of the gun generally assumes that friction will go to near zero with use and then the springs will be the main factor.

The SW40VE is well-designed, but rather cheaply manufactured, which means the out of the box heavy trigger-pull is mostly caused by friction, and I think that posters who are happy with the trigger out of the box probably got a smoother specimen than I did.

I've looked at the internet videos and seen that they mostly involve doing something with the springs. If the main problem is friction, then messing with the springs is breaking something that isn't broken, instead of fixing what is broken. I've got guns that are over 100 years old and still in good working condition, ball-point pen springs are not built to last 100 years in a gun.

The problem is not in the trigger group but in the lower sear mechanism. The "gritty" feeling comes from there, as does a lot of the friction.

The sear in any gun is two metal surfaces like blocks that face each other under spring pressure when the gun is cocked and the trigger causes them to slide apart, abruptly releasing the hammer, or in this case, the striker.

In the SW40VE the lower sear and sear housing are located in the rear of the frame. The lower sear is a cam which, when connected to the trigger by a simple metal link, will move rearward and downward, thus cocking the striker and then releasing it through a single trigger pull. The upper sear is in the slide, connected to the striker.

The "grittiness" is caused by the fact that slot in the lower sear has been roughly machined, causing the bar that pushes the lower sear rearward to "chatter" through the machining marks. Also, the lower sear has an "S" shaped curve at the rear which interacts with a plastic ramp in the sear housing to drive the cam downward as it proceeds rearward. Again, rough machining marks here cause friction. The plastic is not the smoothest it could be, due to mold marks.

Finally, the surfaces of both the upper sear (attached to the striker in the slide) and the lower sear are roughly machined surfaces, causing friction.

So the real "trigger fix" is:

1. Smooth and polish the contact surface of the slot inside of the cam that is the lower sear

2. Smooth and polish the part of the lower sear cam that contacts the plastic sear housing as it moves rearward

3. Smooth and polish the mold marks on the plastic sear housing that contact the sear cam

4. Smooth and polish the contact surface (which contacts the upper sear) of the lower sear

5. Smooth and polish the contact surface of the upper sear (which contacts the lower sear) (you need to remove the striker from the slide to do this)

I used a metal fingernail file from Revlon to get the machine marks out (thanks to my wife who gave it to me a long while back). I would say that the rough side is about 400 grit.

Then I used a 600 grit "Angle Cut Sanding Stick" (works better when wet) from www.stevenshobby.com to polish the surfaces mentioned.

You need a jeweler's loupe or some other 10X magnifier to look at the original condition and to see when you have polished enough.

Finally, I lubed all contact surfaces (including the side of the sear housing that contacts the sear) with a Hob-E-Lube dry graphite and molybdenum (HL651). Look for a hobby store that sells electric trains, for this stuff. I like dry lubes or Rem-oil in guns because neither tend to collect grit.

I would say the trigger pull is now smooth and comparable to a Glock 23 or the new S&W SD (which has a redesigned sear mechanism that has its own issues.) Maybe not as good as a S&W M&P.45, which I have also fired.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, compared to changing springs. But when you change or remove springs you are redesigning the gun.

Since this is primarily a self-defense weapon; would you bet your life on a gun designed by you?

The other issue is, if you fire on someone in self-defense, your gun will be impounded and examined. You don't want to explain to a court why your gun has had factory parts removed, replaced or modified to make it easier to fire.

The "fix" I've described keeps all of the factory parts intact, just working the way they were designed to work. If you don't want to do this yourself but you want to improve your gun, then copy this post and take it with your gun to a reputable gunsmith. He (she) should be able to give you an estimate of cost based on the specific tasks I have outlined.

You will be shooting tight groups with this "horrible trigger pull" right away.

Happy Shooting!

Rem870Fan
March 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
This is my favorite Sigma post on THR! I hope it never dies!!

I have a question about the trigger reset length. After a couple of hundred rounds thru my SW40VE and a lot of dry fire practice, the weight of the trigger is not an issue. I still feel a bit of grit, especially when doing an especially slow trigger pull, so I need to polish the internals as described above. What I want to know is how to shorten the length the trigger has to travel after firing round before the trigger resets.

Will this require some significant gunsmithing?

Keep up the comments!

RemFan

ukguyinala
April 13, 2011, 11:20 PM
Ok, just to cover all points - I googled it, this is my first post and I do not work for S&W nor am I affiliated with them.

I purchased the Sigma because of the price point - I could afford it. If budget wasn't an issue would it be my first choice? Maybe not. Am I ashamed of it? Hell no! It is not the first hand gun I have ever fired, but its close to it. I have put maybe 300 rounds thru it so far with no problems.

I took my 12 yr old to a firing range so we could fire it and although he was able to, it was hard on his hand. I think that means S&W did a good job with safety.

I found that the stiff trigger did affect the accuarcy to begin with, but after practice, the grouping has improved. I should note that the very first shot would have been a "kill shot" if it had been needed.

Overall, as a complete gun novice, I find it to be a gun I am proud of and I am sure will serve my needs. If I can get this one right, all others should be easy.

Zebra365
April 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have a question about the trigger reset length. After a couple of hundred rounds thru my SW40VE and a lot of dry fire practice, the weight of the trigger is not an issue. I still feel a bit of grit, especially when doing an especially slow trigger pull, so I need to polish the internals as described above. What I want to know is how to shorten the length the trigger has to travel after firing round before the trigger resets.

Will this require some significant gunsmithing?

Rem870fan

I can think of two things I could do to improve that situation. But one might compromise the striker safety and the other could move the sear release point back so far the gun would not fire.

This is not an area for amateurs, so I would not touch it.

You can ask a gunsmith, I'd be interested to know how they could do that. Let us know if they will attempt it.

BRE346
April 14, 2011, 01:08 PM
S&W9VE. I've been down the road over the trigger pull and Zebra365 has it right. I worked on that little slot until it was smooth and polished everything that slid over anything.

A good shooter friend showed me the need to knock the rear sight over. Now it's smooth, reliable and accurate.

I love the big comfortable grip.

Rem870Fan
April 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks Zebra. A S&W gunsmith is coming to my local gunshop this weekend, so I'll see what he suggests to shorten the reset.

I've only got 100 rds thru it but I'm doing a lot of dry firing and I'm seeing some improvement. Like BRE said, it just fits well in the hand.

Mad Magyar
April 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
I have a sneaky suspicion that we have been victims of a drive by advertiser.

Come on, the forums are full of them...Suspicious because it's about a Sigma where all you hear is what a POS it is? Hey, this thread is years old....

mid atlantic prep
May 29, 2011, 12:21 PM
The sigma was my first gun purchase after 11 years of not owning a gun. When I had my daughter I was pressured to get rid of my Taurus PT92. I had no problem with it and loved it until I bought a Glock 19. After a while of it sitting in its case, I decided to have the striker spring replaced and it is once again one of my favorite guns.

ET
June 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
The sigma was my first gun purchase after 11 years of not owning a gun. When I had my daughter I was pressured to get rid of my Taurus PT92. I had no problem with it and loved it until I bought a Glock 19. After a while of it sitting in its case, I decided to have the striker spring replaced and it is once again one of my favorite guns.

Good to see this 7 year old thread getting bumped to the top still. Sorry to hear that you had to sell your PT92. I want either the 92 or a 99. They are somewhere in my top 5 wanted guns right now, along with a nice 1911, Glock 23, 34 or 20sf. I still like my SW40VE, but since I purchased a M&P 40 Pro Series with it's 5" barrel & 4Lbs. trigger the Sigma has dropped down on my favorite list. If I was in the market for a Sigma like gun right now I think I'd have to go with the S&W SD line. It has a 7 lbs. trigger that is sooo much smoother with a shorter trigger reset. It also comes with steel sights, the front one being a night sight. I would trade my Sigma for an SD right now if I could find someone who just had to have a Sigma...

meanmrmustard
June 14, 2011, 05:18 PM
I'm taking trade on a Sigma .40 tomorrow, and not being new to firearms, I'm not completely worried about that trigger. However, given the fact that many shooters do give this gun it's due in the accuracy department, other than a tear down of the trigger assembly-does anyone have tips for accurately shooting this weapon in a non-SD situation...ie: the range? Low and to the right grouping ain't gonna git her dun!

majorwoo
June 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
So, quickly.

I found this via google.
I don't work for anyone gun related.
I have a SW9VE, purchased new in Jun 2011. (FYI they no longer come in a plastic case, it's now just a cardboard box. You still get 2 mag's and a lock. I got mine for $312 including tax.) As a first time gun buyer it was a seeing a name like Smith and Wesson for that price that led me to purchase it.

This was my first handgun - I didn't consider the trigger to be all that hard until I took it to the range. The girl who assisted me was very nice and after giving me a few pointers asked if she could shoot it. After watching her settle into her stance, and then stand back up and go into stance again she exhaled in disgust and said she couldn't pull it - she had to use a second finger.

I've only got ~150 rounds through it so I will have to see if it does get better, but she came back a minute later and handed me a glock to try. My first 10 shows grouped much better in the glock. I spent the next hour going back and forth a few shots in each - I believe the Sigma is just as accurate but I need to practice not leaning backwards and not being so shy when I pull the trigger (new shooter problems I'm told).

I'm considering leaving my sigma in the gunvault at home for home defense and purchasing a glock to carry daily. The glock just felt better to me when I picked it up.

This thread will probably never die - a simple google for "sw9ve" will get this as the second hit. It has been a lot of reading, but I agree with several of the points made as i read it. I've been reading the the older Sigmas are much worse then the newer ones - I'm not certain when "newer" means exactly. Sigmas apparently got a bad rap back then and they are still plagued by it. I don't know if the gun is better now or not, but I suspect that you get what you pay for. This gun, so often compared to the glock, is much cheaper and probably has some more issues - but I suspect based on my limited ownership that is allows a cheap entry point for new owners like myself.

meanmrmustard
June 16, 2011, 09:34 AM
I have several DA wheel guns, and the trigger talk on this gun worried me. Took it to range yesterday...and it was fun. I hear folks talking about how horrible these weapons are and it's sad. Shoot what you like, no matter the name on the side. My dad and I have both owned glocks, 19 and 22, and they were quickly traded towards rifles. I hate the grip on the glocks, finger depressions don't help grip angle, and even though they are low profile, I've gotten to where I find them uncomfortable. I myself have shot impressive groups...but felt dumb buying a $500 weapon that felt good in-store and bad on the range. Sw40ve is cheap, yes, but it grouped well, is comfortable, reliable, and that to me makes it worth more. If this gun need be compared yet again to the glock, most will write it off as a less deserving firearm. I say to each his own. Next ones gonna be a 1911 series 80, though! In summation, if I need a gun that holds nearly 20 rounds stock mag, is ugly as sin, and I feel the need to prove how superior it is based solely on price I'll purchase a glock. Don't see em doing a whole lot more than anyone else.

meanmrmustard
June 16, 2011, 09:40 AM
Ps...got my 40VE for a used hi point and $50 :neener.

meanmrmustard
June 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
Got mine for a used hi point and $50. Steal.

xxjumbojimboxx
October 24, 2011, 02:34 AM
Let me first say im brand new to this site, it can certainly be helpful...

I'm also brand new to guns... I grew up in mass, and as we all know guns might as well not even exist there. Im living in texas now and simply cant stop... I'm buying a new piece with every other paycheck!

Anywho, the first gun a bought was a ruger 10/22, totally reliable, cheap, and my logic was if I was going to learn , I should learn with something that shoots cheap rounds. Overall thats gone very well, I've got steady hands and im a natural distance shooter.

That brings me to my choice in handgun. I chose the SIGMA (SW40VE) *because* the dude behind the counter told me the trigger was hard to pull. I'm thinking it would be like putting a donut on a baseball bat to get better swing. The trigger sucked though, I ran about 325 rounds through it and at first i would be lucky if I hit the damn target at all from 5 yards, slowly got better and better and by my last mag (of 14) I was shooting four inch groups at 15 yards. Good lesson in trigger discipline I suppose. Either way I removed the piggy back spring and the larger (outside) spring inside of the trigger assembly. Ive read some of the comments here but the trigger literally *feels* like half the weight as it was stock.Whether thats acurate or just perceived I dont know, and dont care, this was an excellent fix. Im taking it to my local range tommorow before work and I'll let you know if I come across any snaggs. I've dry fired like a hundred times in my office though, no shaking, flinching, over anticipating, nothing. so im confident this will be a good fix.

papaseven
October 25, 2011, 06:11 AM
Hello folks.
This is my first post here and I ran across the forum while researching the sigma.
I've been shooting for 45 years and smithing for 30.
I bought a SW9VE last week simply because I couldn't believe the price on it. 269.95 on sale at academy.
I've ran about 500 hundred rounds of wolf through it and although the trigger is not great, it's not as bad as most wheelguns out of the box.
Here in Oklahoma we're a CC state and I am getting too damned old and unsteady to lug my old commander around.
This will probably be my new carry weapon as it is one of the most reliable guns I've ever owned. Out of the box it was clean with no debris or chips in it and the barrel was spotless. It did stovepipe once when my tiny wristed wife tried to fire it one handed but my rock steady Beretta 92 will do the same thing when she tries to shoot it.
All in all IMHO the design is solid and the materials are as good as can be expected in a sub 500.00 gun
I've had no FTF with several brands of ammo even though the feed ramp could stand a polish.
All in all I like it.
Geno

xxjumbojimboxx
October 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
Oh yeah! trigger mod performed flawlessly, no ftf, no probrem with anything resetting, just plain old three inch groups at 30 feet! booya!

FruitCake
October 26, 2011, 10:12 PM
For the price you can't go wrong. I've fired the Sigma 9mm and the trigger ain't as bad as everybody says. I even like the ergonomics better than a Glock anyday and the grip is excellent. Do the quick trigger and spring job like most do to their Glocks anyway and your all set. Buds has them now brand new shipped for $289 new! You can almost buy 2 Sigmas for the price of 1new Glock.
Personally I really don't like the trigger on any Poly gun compared to the all metal in single action mode.

I shoot my friends Sigma everytime I go the range and just might buy one.

Rusty Luck
November 29, 2011, 01:48 AM
So I have a buddy selling his sigma for $200 and I was wondering of it was worth it so I googled it and low and behold I get this 7 year old post on THR (which I was already a member of). Lots of good stuff here, funny this keeps popping up on google. :D

robinkevin
November 29, 2011, 07:29 AM
So long as its in good shape it would be a good deal, if the pistol fits your hand and you like it. They do have a heavy trigger but it was design that way for safety. Some people like it and others don't. They retail for $300 new.

IheartNOVAK
January 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
Scumbag Bump

roaddog28
January 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
I own a 40VE and love the gun. Its reliable, feeds any ammo I buy and is more than accurate at combat/self defense range. Trigger does not bother me. Of course my experience after 45 plus years is double action revolvers. Most people that buy the Sigma and don't complain about the trigger tend to have experience with revolvers and learn trigger control. It does take practice to become real good at keeping your sight picture as you put pressure on the trigger until it breaks. Its not pulling the trigger its putting steady pressure and increasing it evenly. Sounds dumb but works. Its takes time but the Sigma will reward a shooter if he learns trigger control.
Regards,
Howard

papaseven
January 31, 2012, 07:11 AM
I finally busted it down to clean and tune it up. After 1000 rds I had no FTF or light strikes
I exchanged the stock striker spring for a wolf but got a couple light strikes on some brands of ammo so I put the stock one back in.
Some judicious polishing and removal of the outer reset spring and pigtail spring got me a 5 lb pull with no reset problems and much easier to shoot.

Ill run another 1000 thru it and post back

tnxdshooter
January 31, 2012, 08:00 AM
I finally busted it down to clean and tune it up. After 1000 rds I had no FTF or light strikes
I exchanged the stock striker spring for a wolf but got a couple light strikes on some brands of ammo so I put the stock one back in.
Some judicious polishing and removal of the outer reset spring and pigtail spring got me a 5 lb pull with no reset problems and much easier to shoot.

Ill run another 1000 thru it and post back

The polishing and removal of those two springs is how i got mine down to 5 pounds. I never had a problem with mine until about 1000 rounds. At which time I started gettint failures to feed. I replaced the magazine springs with some wolf extra power ones and never had another problem. I wound up selling it for more than what I paid for it. I was honest with the person to.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

papaseven
February 2, 2012, 01:04 AM
Yea thats the trouble with most hi cap mags especially if you leave the mag full

I usually keep two rounds less than the cap and leave one mag empty in all my guns.

kajun33shooter
February 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
I am very new to THR and have very recently bought a Sigma SW40VE and i have to agree that the trigger pull is very excessive, but i am going to put several hundred rds through it and see what happens. If that doesn't loosen the trigger does anyone know of a good gunsmith in central texas.

tnxdshooter
February 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
I am very new to THR and have very recently bought a Sigma SW40VE and i have to agree that the trigger pull is very excessive, but i am going to put several hundred rds through it and see what happens. If that doesn't loosen the trigger does anyone know of a good gunsmith in central texas.

Nope,

Most gunsmiths wont touch em with a 10 foot stick.

Dnaltrop
February 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Gunsmith not needed, E-mail S&W, tell them SPECIFICALLY that the trigger is gritty/sandy. They'll handle it under Warranty. Trigger should be returned to you a bit lighter, and much smoother.

Wife gave up on wearing it smooth herself, and sent the E-mail Sunday, they responded today with a note to enter her information into the system for a Free Shipping label.

She REALLY loves her Sigma, and just hates not having it around, so she's avoided the fix for 2 years.

And Welcome to THR Kajun.

krupparms
February 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
I own 3Glocks &2 S&W Sigmas. 2 of the Glocks are 9mm. & 1-.45acp. The Sigmas are 9mm also. I decided to get a .40S&W & have gotten a Sig-Pro, a Styer Mod. M and a XD COMPAC. After shooting the .40S&W,s I decided to sell them and buy a Glock 27 or a S&W. SW40VE. The S&W,s are not in stock right now but I think it is one of the best deals out there! All 3of the .40S&W's are good pistols but, live & learn! I should have bought The S&W in the first place! :banghead: I will be getting one as soon as they are back in stock! I was told it would run about $309.00 w/hi-cap mags. :)

tnxdshooter
February 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Gunsmith not needed, E-mail S&W, tell them SPECIFICALLY that the trigger is gritty/sandy. They'll handle it under Warranty. Trigger should be returned to you a bit lighter, and much smoother.

Wife gave up on wearing it smooth herself, and sent the E-mail Sunday, they responded today with a note to enter her information into the system for a Free Shipping label.

She REALLY loves her Sigma, and just hates not having it around, so she's avoided the fix for 2 years.

And Welcome to THR Kajun.

Tried that. No big improvement.

Dnaltrop
February 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Blast...

Ok, sell it like it's been hit by a skunk and get a Bersa 9mm or .40 :D Or save up for a Glock, M&P, XD etc.

I give it grudging respect, and I'll even CCW the thing, It IS reliable, but I don't do so willingly :D

xxjumbojimboxx
February 23, 2012, 01:11 AM
no gunsmith needed, i originally bout n sw40ve as my first pistol, dislike the trigger, went on youtube, found like 30 different fixes for the problem. i did one involving removing 2 springs... i figured if it messed up i could always put them back in. i toook them both out, and i let my friends fire this gun when we go to the range as i have gotten some much nicer stuff since... either way theres been at least 2500 rounds through it after the trigger fix.. and no problems whatsoever... very easy to do as well.

papaseven
February 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
Well I got ahold of some mil surp ammo and a couple of buddies ran about 1200 rounds through it last week.
Not a single problem so this is my new nightstand ornament.

I'm not the greatest DA shooter but one of the guys has no problem keeping 10 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 50 feet offhand.
It did take about 1000 rounds of ball ammo to smooth out the barrel.
Both guys are going to Academy this week to buy one. Still 299.99 if anybody is interested.

We're gonna lap the barrel on one to see if the accuracy improves quicker.
I did order a new recoil spring and striker spring as both should be getting tired in mine after 2500 rounds but we'll see. :D

Arkmaker
February 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
First post here on THR. I found this thread a couple of weeks ago and bookmarked it. This thread and my boss who has the 40 made my mind up about buying the S9VE and I am glad I did.

I read up on the trigger, smoothed it out (still needs a hair more polishing) and put back 2 of the 3 springs (pigtail is gone). I was not bothered by the heavy pull even though I am a lover of my Browning Challenger trigger that breaks right at about 2lbs. Now that I have shot it with the heavy pull, I'll take out one more spring and see how it is. Figure I can always put it back, right? Still lighter right now than my DA revolvers, but not much.

I went to the range today and spent 100 rounds downrange without a hitch. Darn thing is fairly accurate as well, when I was doing my part. Last mag hit every shot within 2" at 10 yards. For me, well that is pretty good! My only regret about today was that I didn't bring another couple more boxes of ammo with me. Those Hi-cap mags and an Uplula speed loader eat it up fast.
Anyway, for 3 bills, you can not go wrong, just the way it comes out of the box. With a little more work, it will shoot great! Now I have to stock up on ammo!!
Ark

roadchoad
May 17, 2012, 11:08 PM
This thread needs a bump. :p

Anyway, found a private sale sw9ve locally, hoping to pick it up at a reasonable price. This thread gave me the feedback I needed to make a slightly smarter purchase.

papaseven
May 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
as long as you don't try to target shoot with these things.
I now have one in each caliber and the 9mm shoots a little tighter than the 40 but friggy diggy.
For home defense with no kids at home it's a great little pistol
I wish it did have a hammer block safety but I make sure it's never where little hands can find it
For the money everybody ought to own one.

It's also US made so be mindful of that.

Thanks
Geno

leadfoot97
May 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
I too own a Sigma 40, and have been frustrated by the heavy trigger pull. After reading various ways to fix it on multiple sites, I finally came upon a cure I can live with.
I didn't like the idea of removing both springs entirely, and removing the stiff outer spring and leaving the flexible inner spring doesn't work since the small spring is too flexible and comes out on its own. My thought process led me to finding a softer outer spring. Being impetuous and not willing to wait, I began looking around my home for something to replace the outer spring. What I discovered was the spring on a common retractable BALL POINT PEN was the exact same diameter as the stiff outer spring on the Sigma, but a whole lot softer !!! After determining that the pen spring was a little too long, I trimmed off about 1/4" to match the length of the inner spring. Before I re-assembled the sear , I did a little polishing on the metal parts to eliminate that gritty feel. Yesterday (Memorial Day) I went to my gun club range and fired off a 100 rounds. The Sigma performed flawlessly and with about half of the former trigger pull. I disassembled it while cleaning just to be sure nothing went wrong, and both springs stayed locked into the detent on the sear as intended. I'm not a gunsmith, but I think I've found the solution to this nagging problem at no cost !

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson Sigma Series Trigger FIX!!! (SW9VE, SW40VE)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!