NoVA Shoot ??

PDA

KONY
August 31, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,

Did anything become of the last proposed NoVA shoot? I think the thread was posted in mid-July but stopped at 5 posts. In any event, I was wondering if there was another one in the works. If not, I'd like to propose one. I am new to THR (and to shooting) and would like to try out some revolvers (mostly .22LR and .38/.357's). Of course, ammo (and any other traditional newb costs) is on me. Not sure when/where you guys like to shoot so I'll leave the details of time/place up to one of you THR elders. So in the words of Jerry McGuire ... "who's coming with me?"

If you enjoyed reading about "NoVA Shoot ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mtnbkr
August 31, 2004, 12:42 PM
My weekends are shot (no pun intended) for the next month. However, I can possibly get out for an evening shoot if it's on a Monday or Thursday. If you work near the NRA building, their range is open during the day on Mondays and Fridays (open evenings on Thursday and maybe Wednesday as well). I can usually swing a lunchtime shoot on Monday or Friday.

I have a 357mag. Ammo is on me since I only shoot my handloads through it and I'm not going to work up a bill for components. :) I don't have a 22lr handgun though.

Chris

Titus
August 31, 2004, 12:42 PM
Well, my only revolver is a Linebaugh converted Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt (just the small conversion, though :) ) but could bring .22 autos (Marvel conversions) and plenty of .22LR. I shoot at the NRA range, and it's pretty empty Fridays if I go after work, and Sundays aren't too bad if you get in there before noon or so. You do have to take the test the first time you shoot there, but if you can't pass it, you probably shouldn't be handling firearms (or driving your car there :) )

KONY
August 31, 2004, 08:36 PM
Well, my lunchtimes wouldn't allow me to get to the NRA range in time so looks like evenings weekdays and anytime on weekends. However, I can do Tuesday mornings til about noon or 12:30PM (not sure they are open though). Hopefully, the NRA range test won't be anything to worry about but I am a complete newb so I do not want to speak too soon. :)

Titus
September 1, 2004, 10:46 AM
As they say on their website "This is an educational exercise, not a graded test." The answers may be on posters in the room where you take the test (unless they took them down.)

The most important thing is to know the Four Rules (http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html) so you can handle yourself safely when you get on the line.

KONY
September 1, 2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks Titus! I guess no one else is up for a shoot. However, I'll be away this weekend anyway so perhaps we can give this thread some more time to materialize. Hopefully, more folks will join in. If not, then I certainly do not mind just having a small get-together. So all the rest of you Nova folk that can make it to the range, lert your voice be heard.

mtnbkr
September 1, 2004, 11:23 PM
If the NRA range is open on Monday, I might be going. If not, I won't be able to hit a range here (other than the odd lunchtime shoot) for nearly a month.

Chris

Titus
September 1, 2004, 11:43 PM
Here are the range hours:
Mon 10a-5p
Wed, Thurs 5p-10p
Fri 10a-10p
Sat 8:30a-10p
Sun 8:30a-7p

If no one else jumps in, think about going over next Thursday or Friday evening and taking the test and maybe shoot a little .22.

KONY
September 1, 2004, 11:45 PM
mtnbkr,

I am out-of-town this weekend and may not be back til Monday so it doesn't look good. Too bad since I was really looking forward to trying out the GP100 (high on my list). However, perhaps we can figure out a time in the near future. In either event, thanks for offering assistance.

mtnbkr
September 1, 2004, 11:49 PM
Titus, do you know if it's open this monday, being Labor Day and all?

Kony, No problem, I'm sure we can work out a time to go once I get past all of my busy weekends coming up.

Chris

KONY
September 1, 2004, 11:52 PM
Titus,

Thursday or Friday evening sound great to me. I get home from work around 6PM so let me know if this or anytime after works for you. I actually prefer thursday because I think it'll be less crowded. I guess that would lock us in on September 9th. Let me know how that sounds. Thanks again!

Titus
September 2, 2004, 10:30 AM
Chris,

Don't know for sure about Monday, as I haven't seen a September calendar yet, but they have been open on at least some holidays before. I'll check tonight.

KONY,

If you can't make Monday, Thursday the 9th would work for me too. Meet over there at 6:30?

KONY
September 2, 2004, 10:51 PM
Titus,

Sounds great! See you then!

usp_fan
September 4, 2004, 03:33 PM
NOVA gang,

If anyone is thinking of going Monday, shoot me a PM. I'm in town at the in-laws and have the afternoon open to go to the NRA range.

thanks,

--usp_fan

KONY
September 4, 2004, 06:58 PM
Hey usp!

Wish I could join ya but I'll be out-of-town on Monday. Hope we can all get together sometime soon. So far, its just me and Titus on Sept 9th at 6:30 (at the NRA range). Anyone else who can make it is welcome to join us.

KONY
September 10, 2004, 02:13 AM
Titus,

Thanks for hanging out tonight. I really learned alot and I hope we get to do it again once I get my own piece. BTW, I forgot to tell you that was one cool gun. Hope I didn't goof anything up on it. I'll keep in touch. As for the rest of you NoVA folk, hope we can all get together sometime. Happy shooting!

First impressions of shooting a gun for the first time? It's alot more complicated than it looks! This sort of cements my decision to get a 22LR revolver first.

Titus
September 10, 2004, 04:38 PM
Sure thing! Let us know what you come up with!

If you enjoyed reading about "NoVA Shoot ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!