A disturbing devolpment on THR...

PDA

effengee
August 31, 2004, 04:33 PM
Apparently a certain senior member has took it upon themselves to be the ultimate authority on all things even remotely gun related.
Please visit the post entitled "Half a million rednecks can't be wrong"
READ ALL the posts carefully, you'll see what I mean...
God forbid I humbly point out a mistake glaringly made by the poster themselves, when I got a somewhat accusatory post reply.
Then I get an apology that is dripping with cynicism...
Then I get a private message with a personal insult.
Upon replying to the message on the original post, which was an honest mistake, I get one even more childish, with even more insults and the remark that my first posting here was a falsehood from a TV episode...
I have been posting here for a while...
I have been posting on various gun web-boards under various names throughout the past 8 years...
Many is the time when someone was too busy typing an insult to REALLY read and comprehend what I am typing...
No Big Deal, I'm an adult and I can hack it.
I've apparently offended someone by telling them I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person after being replied to in such a manner.
By calling me a derogatory name and then implying that I am a liar makes me wonder why? Also to wonder if I wasn't too far from the bulls-eye.
Nobody else seems to have a problem with me or my puns, intended or not.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I have an opinion and so does everybody else... However, if I disagree,it's for a good reason, and I'm not inclined to force my opinion upon anyone nor do I insult them for theirs.
If anyone is personally offended or insulted by something I write here then by all means email me and we can discuss it like adults...
If all you can do is resort to condescending (yes, that's the right word, see definition two in the Oxford dictionary) apologies and name-calling, then I'm afraid I won't be doing anything but ignoring you...

Very respectfully submitted,
James Hazell

If you enjoyed reading about "A disturbing devolpment on THR..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oleg Volk
August 31, 2004, 04:45 PM
I suggest that everyone relax and take it easy. I don't think any offense was intended to you.

effengee
August 31, 2004, 04:48 PM
It was very much a personal insult...

But as I stated, it's No Big Deal...

Respectfully,
James Hazell

Spot77
August 31, 2004, 04:52 PM
I haven't read the thead, and I probably don't care to, but I've found that if people would simply converse via the internet exactly as they would face to face, there would be a lot less drama and conflict on many threads of many boards.

People like to be harsh when the only repercussions are more harsh posts.

And sometimes people read too quickly and only see what they want to see. Journalistic license is lost on many.

Werewolf
August 31, 2004, 05:01 PM
I have read the thread...
The whole thing.

FWIW Efingee IMHO you are the bad guy in this case.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with some southerners but please don't judge us all by the actions of a few.

effengee
August 31, 2004, 05:04 PM
As I stated, many is the time when I have been "lambasted" by an irate person who was too busy taking things out of context and/or not comprehending what my point is...

I was a bit concerned to find that this person is a "senior" member...

I've already put them on the ignore list and won't be responding in the future to any of their posts...

Thank you for this web board, thank you for your time, and thank you for being a "brother-in-arms"

If you carry a firearm, I consider you my friend, for I would surely hate to be your enemy...

Jimbo

effengee
August 31, 2004, 05:15 PM
If you read it then you saw where I clearly stated that I don't discriminate against a person for race, creed, or environmental location...

I don't hate all "southerners"

Just as I don't take offense to someone calling me a "yankee"

What WAS clear was that the person in question took offense to a good-humored bit of banter in a post about "rednecks"

I NEVER meant any of it as a personal insult...

Nor did I/ will I, resort to that.

Stereotyping is wrong, and I apologize...

As I've said, If I hate someone, I don't waste time with prejudice...
If I hate someone, there's a darn good reason for it...

Respectfully,
JH

cordex
August 31, 2004, 05:30 PM
1. All it takes to be a "senior member" is 100 posts.

2. Having spent some time recently in rural Vermont and New York I've become well aware that the south has no monopoly on rednecks, hicks, bumpkins, mountain men, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Which was probably why attending the Rupert annual Carnival was so much fun.

joab
August 31, 2004, 06:01 PM
I should ignore this thread, because the entire situation has reach the point of ridiculous .

But since it is aimed directly at me and is less than truthful I feel I need to respond

If any moderator can tell me how my public admission of my error and my public apology for same is condesending I will leave the forum and never return Even though I responded to that comment I somehow missed it when I responded to yours, Sorry. My post was out of line

I further went on to counter his assertion that some southeners are still fighting the war with my assertion that many Northeners are also

He explained the problems he had with certain types of southeners and explained my problems with certain northeners

A subject that probably should not have come up, but was actually brought up by either of the parties in questions. At no time did I feel that the discussion had degraded to the point that FNG felt that it did

His claims of insults comes from my response to his insulting PM , that he also posted on forum with slightly different wording, rejecting my apology.

He then posted part of my PM response to him on the forum and was less than truthful as to why he recieved the response from me that he did. I will not post it here in general population because it would not be appropriate, they call it Private Messageing for a reason.

This whole thing is juvenile and ridiculous it can certainly be agreed that the two parties do not like each other and each feels vindicated in his feelings. This is a private matter and has nothing to do with developement on THR.

It's two people who don't like each other plain and simple let it go. You have stated twice that you will not let it bother you. If that is, true move on.

And by the way there is no reason to dislike being called a Yankee, it is the proper term for someone living in the Northern ,especially New England, states

I'm done . You should be too

effengee
August 31, 2004, 06:03 PM
See what I mean?

No harm done...

Generalise all you want, prejudice all you want, stereotype all you want.

It's when it gets to be on a personal level before I take offense...

Oleg Volk
August 31, 2004, 06:05 PM
Gentlemen, I wish you to take this to PMs...or, better yet, drop the matter and agree to avoid each other or to make up.

effengee
August 31, 2004, 06:15 PM
I consider the matter fully dropped.

Joab, I accept your formal apology and will not pursue this any further.
I hope you can accept my apology for "blowing it out of proportion"
I also take it into consideration that "senior" membership is in direct ratio to number of posts...

Thank you for this web-board, your time and effort, and thank you to all parties on this forum.

Again, I apologize if I offended someone and anyone can feel free to email/private message me anytime.

Can we just keep the war "civil" :evil:

And by the way, FWIW, obscure puns and bad jokes are just as much a habit of mine as firearms and freedom of speech...:cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :uhoh: :p ;) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "A disturbing devolpment on THR..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!