OH - Idiot cop fires blank in office prank

PDA

braindead0
February 20, 2003, 11:38 AM
Source: Canton Repository (http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=85707&Category=9&fromSearch=yes)

Two Jackson officers suspended for firing blank in office prank
Wednesday, February 19, 2003
By MELISSA GRIFFY Repository staff writer
JACKSON TWP. — What police officers called a joke has landed two with suspensions from duty.

Sgt. Barry Lyons and Patrol Officer Patrick Pileggi were disciplined for collaborating on the prank: Shooting a .357-caliber handgun with blank rounds in it to scare other police employees.

The victim of the prank told officers she was frightened — she thought the gun was real and that Lyons had been shot.

It wasn’t the first time the prank has been played, Pileggi told investigators with the department.

But this is the first time officers have been disciplined.

Lyons is serving eight days suspension for committing an unsafe act and dishonesty. Beginning Saturday, Pileggi will serve three days suspension for committing an unsafe act.

Police Chief Harley Neftzer said the punishment — the third-most serious the department can impose — will set an example for other officers.

“This type of behavior will not be tolerated,” Neftzer said. “We have to hold our people accountable for their actions so that the public trusts we are a professional, reputable department.”

A temporary clerical employee, Christi Stevens, also was involved, and will be disciplined by her agency, according to Neftzer.

There were actually two incidents within an hour, according to Police Lt. Chris Rudy, the investigating officer.

Rudy said police told him that between 8 and 9 p.m. Dec. 9, Stevens was talking to officers when a gun containing cotton ball wads (blank rounds) was fired at the floor. Rudy was unable to determine who fired the gun or where the gun came from.

A short time later, Rudy said, Stevens, Pileggi and Lyons decided to pull a prank on Shelley Bender, a clerical worker.

According to the investigation:

• Lyons called Bender into his office under the premise of asking her about an accident report.

• He pretended he was selling the gun to Pileggi. Lyons then handed Pileggi the gun.

• Pileggi fired the gun behind Lyons, and both pretended it went off accidentally.

• Lyons fell back in his chair, pretending to be hurt.

Lyons, a supervisor, denied the allegations, but Rudy found Lyons did not honestly answer questions about the incident during the investigation.

Bender said the prank upset her. She thought the gun was real and that Lyons had been shot.

“I agree we all play practical jokes on each other, but not to this extreme,” Bender told Rudy.

Pileggi said the prank is an ongoing one and that Lyons told him to play along. Pileggi called it a bad decision, but told Rudy, “It’s happened several times in the past.”

Lyons is a former firearms instructor. Neftzer said the weapon used during the prank is a real gun and could be used to fire live ammunition. It has a marking on it, according to Neftzer, that it should be used only for training, however.

If you enjoyed reading about "OH - Idiot cop fires blank in office prank" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve in PA
February 20, 2003, 12:03 PM
Idiots!!!!!:cuss:

Greg L
February 20, 2003, 12:11 PM
Yet another reason why only the police should be trusted with guns. :rolleyes:

At least the idiots are being punished.

Greg

45R
February 20, 2003, 12:16 PM
:fire: I think they have it all Wrong...Its to Serve and Protect. Not Serve and Punk.:fire: What a bunch of morons. They should have been terminated.

Blackhawk
February 20, 2003, 12:17 PM
Guns are not playthings.

Pranks are for children.

braindead0
February 20, 2003, 12:38 PM
I love the part about It has a marking on it, according to Neftzer, that it should be used only for training, however

We'll, that's fine then.. once you mark a gun "for blanks only" nobody would dream of putting real ammo in it.

The scary thing is, that station is very close to my house..

Chipperman
February 20, 2003, 12:43 PM
I bet you feel a lot safer knowing that, too. :banghead:

Coronach
February 20, 2003, 12:49 PM
Greeeeeaaaaatttttt.

Mike

El Tejon
February 20, 2003, 12:58 PM
Are these the same Buckeye cops who have been bleating that only the police should be trusted with carrying pistols in Ohio and not us mere serfs?:rolleyes:

braindead0
February 20, 2003, 01:08 PM
These folks have been quiet. Actually, the Chief of Police in Canton is for CCW...the only good thing this city has going ;-)

Still Learning
February 20, 2003, 01:12 PM
:cuss: :fire: :banghead:

Since when do they allow high school sophomores to be police officers?

Ebbtide
February 20, 2003, 01:40 PM
I would bet that locker room pranks like this are common among cops, getting a clerical worker involved is where they went wrong. No "brotherhood" among non-brothers.

Otherwise, I would have liked to seen the look on that face (I guess that is sophmoric, but I am who I am).

DJJ
February 20, 2003, 01:44 PM
It wasn’t the first time the prank has been played, Pileggi told investigators with the department. But this is the first time officers have been disciplined.

Yeah, and everybody else was speeding too, but I get the ticket. What's your point?

The hypocrisy sickens me. :fire: :barf:

Coronach
February 20, 2003, 01:44 PM
I can say that they're not common. I've only seen such things in Police Academy movies.

Now, humorous things happening to cruisers, on the other hand...

Like the rabid Buckeye fan on my precinct that drove around through half of the shift with a Michigan Wolverines magnetic decal on his passenger side door...during OSU/Michigan week...well...I know absolutely nothing about that.

Mike :innocent smiley:

JohnBT
February 20, 2003, 01:49 PM
A very long time ago my father showed my grandmother how fast he could slap the cuffs on her. She had asked about how they were trained to do it and he just jumped up and did it.

Trouble was, the key was two miles away at his sister-in-laws house.

John

jmbg29
February 20, 2003, 01:51 PM
:cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

Jeff White
February 20, 2003, 02:27 PM
Police officers, just like members of any other profession have their own (sometimes twisted) sense of humor. I have seen all kinds of practical jokes played over the years. Coronach is right most of them involve squad cars :D

Police stations are interesting places...In most of them you could leave thousands in cash on your desk and no one would think of touching it, but an unopened box of Girl Scout cookies left on the same desk might be fair game.

I only know of one practical joke involving a firearm and it was of the bullet hole decal on the car window variety. I once went with another officer to talk the owner of the computer store in town out of a junk monitor that was destined for the trash so we could play a joke on the 911 coordinator. There was training going on for a new computer program. We took the junk monitor to the range, shot it (Winchester 115 gr 9mm +P+ will not go through and through a monitor BTW) and replaced a good monitor in the class room with it. He came in the next morning and for a brief second thought that a frustrated officer had shot the monitor.

Faking a shooting in front of anybody is way out of line. :fire:

Jeff

DeltaElite
February 20, 2003, 03:32 PM
Wow, so now cops can't play jokes on each other. :rolleyes:

I wish I was a perfect as some of you are. :rolleyes:

I do disagree with involving a clerical employee, those pranks are for cops only, since cops humor is so warped to beginn with.

braindead0
February 20, 2003, 03:49 PM
I don't think anybody is saying they can't play *practical* jokes. This one was way outta line.

OTOH, I'll be sure to ask the next Jackson Township cop I see.. are you sure that's not a blank shooting gun?

Navy joe
February 20, 2003, 04:04 PM
Come on Delta, your blind defense of everything municipal ought to be able to see through this one. Lesse here. You hear a gunshot in a police station, what do you do? Probably if I were another cop in there I would draw and go investigate. Real smart, make gun noises where lots of guns are. Second, blanks kill. Third, not to much of a stretch to see live ammo getting tossed into the mix. If you want to put CS powder on somebody's donut, or copier toner on the phone earpiece, fine. Guns aren't toys, and this ain't Supertroopers.

El Tejon
February 20, 2003, 04:07 PM
Delta, funny how I see a lot of non-cops get hit with Criminal Recklessness, Criminal Reckless with a Deadly Weapon, Intimidation, Pointing a Firearm, or Disorderly Conduct, for "pranks" exactly like this. Silly serfs--know your place amonst thou perfect knights or the king's marquis, the prosecutor, will cast ye into gaol!:D

El Tejon--off to pay for the knight's noble steed.

Peetmoss
February 20, 2003, 04:54 PM
Those guys are morons and should be demoted to unarmed meter maids.:fire:

DeltaElite
February 20, 2003, 05:46 PM
Blind defense of everything municipal? Someone needs to read my posts more closely. ;)

So maybe the gun is a bit much for a prank, but if this wasn't cops, nobody would even care. It was a marked training gun, only confused for a real gun by the cranially impaired.
It's co-workers playing pranks on each other.
Sadly since it is cops, people want their heads.

Society has become too uptight and too politically correct.
So much so, that pranks lead to criminal charges and lawsuits, initiated by the lame people that populate our society.
Frankly, I am surprised no one was charged or terminated in this incident.

Hey aint freedom of humor covered under the 1A anyway? ;)

El Tejon
February 20, 2003, 05:52 PM
Delta, "freedom of humor/freedom to have fun", hey, that's my line! Funny that your marquess, the prosecutor, does not laugh, but adjust his sword belt and start talking about "the rule of law" and "upholding the king's edicts." However, we talk about non-cops.;)

El Tejon
[hammer--geez, I'm a moron]

El Tejon
Delta, "freedom of humor/freedom to have fun", hey, that's my line! Funny that your marquess, the prosecutor, does not laugh, but adjust his sword belt and start talking about "the rule of law" and "upholding the king's edicts." However, we talk about non-cops.;)

El Tejon
[hammer--El Tejon meets technology, hilarity ensues!]

El Tejon
[hammer--El Tejon meets technology, hilarity ensues!]

DeltaElite
February 20, 2003, 06:01 PM
El Tejon,
Is this some kind of prank? Posting the same thing five times?
You are under arrest, reckless posting. :neener:

Around here, prosecutors make their name by indicting cops. It shows that they are "no-nonsense" prosecutors, so I am indeed surprised that no charges were filed. They are lucky they don't work here, they would have been fired and indicted.

I am but a peasant with a badge, my Chief loves to fire us and the DA loves to indict us.

Silver Bullet
February 20, 2003, 06:01 PM
One, playing games with their guns is imbecilic; these two funny boys need to take a refresher course in gun safety.

Two, firing a firearm and faking being shot goes way beyond a "prank." They've crossed the line (and taken several steps past) into cruelty. The level of stress they caused the employee isn't funny, and is probably dangerous (what if she had a heart condition) ?

I think the employee has an excellent (and very legitimate) case for harassment.

El Tejon
February 20, 2003, 07:36 PM
Delta, my lord, at least you have the shield. We serfs have nothing. As a knight, you are exempt from many of the king's edicts and have heightened protection from other edicts.

If the marquess chooses to haul you before the king's bench, well, he is the marquess. The earls elected him afterall.:D

Btennison
February 20, 2003, 08:02 PM
Why should a citizen have the slightest respect for an officer when they play a dangerous, sophmoric prank like that? If something had gone wrong and the "victim" was shot, you can bet he'd be first in line for workmen's comp, paid sick leave and maybe even a lawsuit against the city for unsafe work environment!

Don't like sex acts in the Oval Office and don't like gun pranks in the PD.

El Rojo
February 20, 2003, 08:29 PM
A good prank is a good prank. That one might have gone too far. Not so much because it involved a gun or it was cops, but making someone think you just shot someone else, that is really the issue here. I won't jump on the "cops are hypocrites and need to be perfect at all times, but since they aren't I hate them" bandwagon, but I can say this one went too far. Maybe if they didn't act like the other guy got shot it wouldn't have been as bad. Just goes to show you have to be careful what you do and around who.

Jamie B
February 20, 2003, 08:50 PM
And people wonder why I am frustrated that I cannot get a CCW in the state of Ohio!

With these type of antics, I need to carry my own weapon to ensure safety.

Jamie

Quartus
February 20, 2003, 08:55 PM
(I guess that is sophmoric, but I am who I am).

Hmmm.... Well, who am I to argue?

Imagine if this had happened in your average office building. Is it too much of a stretch to think there might be criminal charges filed?

El Tejon
February 20, 2003, 09:16 PM
Quartus, change that to frat house and you're are absolutely correct.

beemerb
February 20, 2003, 09:27 PM
Anyone that uses a Gun as a toy should not be allowed to own or carry one.That goes for all people including police.These two should be on desk duty the rest of there lives.I personaly would fire both for lack of brains.There is no excuse for this.
Bob

Agent Z
February 20, 2003, 09:28 PM
Silver Bullet- One, playing games with their guns is imbecilic; these two funny boys need to take a refresher course in gun safety.

They need a refresher course in gun safety? Get the net.

Lyons is a former firearms instructor . Neftzer said the weapon used during the prank is a real gun and could be used to fire live ammunition.

They don't need a refresher course. What they need's a darn good wacking!! ---Beatles--

Standing Wolf
February 20, 2003, 09:59 PM
If I'd been their chief, I'd have fired them on the spot. Guns aren't toys, and people who aren't smart enough to know the difference don't belong in uniform.

DeltaElite
February 20, 2003, 10:35 PM
Idiot cop

Isn't "Idiot cop" redundant? :neener:

Silver Bullet
February 20, 2003, 11:32 PM
They need a refresher course in gun safety? Get the net.
I wasn't trying to imply that was all they needed. I was making a point that, among other things, their firearms discipline was atrocious. If they pull this "prank" enough times, they'll eventually grab a loaded gun by mistake. They're giving an accident a chance to happen.

Coronach
February 21, 2003, 02:02 AM
Police stations are interesting places...In most of them you could leave thousands in cash on your desk and no one would think of touching it, but an unopened box of Girl Scout cookies left on the same desk might be fair game.Might be fair game? They'd be gone inside the hour. And the cash would still be there a week later, or at least until someone on the cleaning crew came through...or until a Lt. wandered in and asked why the cash, which is certainly either evidence or bait money, was not in its proper place, and forms were not filled out in triplicate. ;)

Mike

Croyance
February 21, 2003, 03:15 AM
It was a marked training gun, only confused for a real gun by the cranially impaired. Neftzer said the weapon used during the prank is a real gun and could be used to fire live ammunition. It has a marking on it, according to Neftzer, that it should be used only for training, however. It is a real gun. Only the cranially impaired would think otherwise.

Agent Z
February 21, 2003, 07:19 AM
Mr. Silver Bullet,
they'll eventually grab a loaded gun by mistake. They're giving an accident a chance to happen.

Don't you agree that the sheer amount of fire power and ammunition kept in a police station is enough that the prank should not have been played once? I mean to say playing it once
with all that firepower around , the odds are way to high already for a mistake to happen verses playing it repeatedly increaseing the odds even worse to mind boggleing levels. No I say once is definatley too much already.

The prank should have never been played at all.
Well I take that back...............it should have been played repeated times..............in France and Iraq!!!

DadOfThree
February 21, 2003, 07:26 AM
It wasn’t the first time the prank has been played, Pileggi told investigators with the department.
“This type of behavior will not be tolerated,” Neftzer said.
Sounds like they need to get on the same page!!
Pranks with guns = stupid and not funny.
If non LEOs did this there would be multiple charges filed and loss of CCW permits.

1goodshot
February 21, 2003, 07:48 AM
Maybe next time they will accidental use a real gun and then we'll see how funny it is. morons

Kahr carrier
February 21, 2003, 08:57 AM
Interesting Prank.:rolleyes:And I think they did use a real gun.

braindead0
February 21, 2003, 09:35 AM
Well, according to the article.. it sounds like it was a real gun with some marking to indicate it's a practice gun...odd...

Now, perhaps when they say it could be used to fire live ammo... they mean after replacing the barrel? Wouldn't you have to have a special barrel or something so that blanks will cycle the action?

Coronach
February 21, 2003, 11:24 AM
Sounds like they need to get on the same page!!Not necessarily. It might easily be the sort of thing that was brought to light AFTER TSHTF. As in, "yeah boss, and thats not the first time they done did it, neither."

As to the gun being real or training, and the various inconsistencies in the article about that, I would chalk it up to a reporter not knowing what he's talking about.

Mike

TallPine
February 21, 2003, 12:08 PM
I can't help but think back about thirty years ago ... when some cowboy friends of mine staged a gunfight out in front of a little cafe up in the mountains of Colorado. Not just a draw and shoot, but more like a "Hgh Noon" style running battle. They used real guns with blanks. The "bad guy" - after receiving about 50 "wounds" - was ceremoniously carted off to the back of a pickup where he later revived. :)

A good time was had by all, except for one little boy who got scared and couldn't finish his hamburger. Somebody had the whole thing on home movie, I think.

Nowadays, I guess it wouldn't be tolerated too well. I suppose it wasn't too smart even at the time. The biggest danger would be if someone thought it was real and jumped in to "help out" the good guys with real ammo.

Ted Bundy had just escaped from jail and was thought to be roaming the mountains somewhere.

DeltaElite
February 21, 2003, 12:19 PM
Sounds like fun TallPine.
Sadly times have changed and fun is being slowly outlawed, either criminally or civilly.
Nowadays, the family of the hamburger boy would sue for emotional distress.
We are becoming a nation of wimps, who sue for everything they think will make them a buck. :(
Wahhhhhhhh, I am emotionally damaged. Gimme money. :p

hso
February 21, 2003, 02:36 PM
Any prank with a firearm is a willfull unsafe act and warrants disciplinary action, up to and including job terminaiton.

The fact that these officers only got unpaid leave and an addition to their personnel files is probably due to the fact that they serve some useful purpose to the PD and that prior similar behavior on the part of others has not been punished. Eveyone in that PD now understands what responsible shooters have known all along.

Silver Bullet
February 21, 2003, 03:03 PM
If she sues him or the department, maybe that will be her idea of fun.

Quartus
February 21, 2003, 08:01 PM
Tallpine, that kind of running battle used to be a regularly scheduled event at Knott's Berry Farm (now part of the 6 Flags outfit.) Old time western town, employees in period clothing - it fit right in. It was good theatre.

That's a whale of a lot different than this stupid prank.

griz
February 21, 2003, 09:23 PM
How about an apples to apples comparison? Same situation, an office worker has the same "prank" played on her. But she works in an office instead of a police station.

Does the prankster go to jail for brandishing or do you tell her it's just a joke and laugh on the way back to the car?

DeltaElite
February 21, 2003, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't make an on the spot arrest.
I would write a report and refer it to the DA to see if they wanted to file charges at a later time.
I would tell them it was a joke, albeit in poor taste in that environment.
I would be giggling all the way back to my patrol car.
I would take my reprimand for not taking this situation as seriously as my bosses would have wanted me to.

TallPine
February 21, 2003, 11:17 PM
Tallpine, that kind of running battle used to be a regularly scheduled event at Knott's Berry Farm (now part of the 6 Flags outfit.) Old time western town, employees in period clothing - it fit right in. It was good theatre.

Well, this wasn't a "scheduled event" - just a prank cooked up by a couple cowboys and another buddy of mine. Just for the record, I wasn't in it - but I knew it was coming and was there to witness the show.

This was an out of the way little seasonal resort, not a big attraction.

The cowboys rode from like 5am to noon or so, moving cows when it was cool, so they had lots of time to pull stuff like this.

Later on, they were chasing each other up and down the road in pickups, shooting back and forth. :)

It's hard to believe that only back in the seventies we were all so much freer than now ... we thought it would go on forever ...

TallPine
February 21, 2003, 11:19 PM
DeltaElite, you are one cool cop :)

DeltaElite
February 21, 2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks TallPine. Now I have one person who likes me.

I am mailing the $20 as promised for being my pal. :D

waterdog
February 23, 2003, 01:45 AM
Playing a joke on someone is one thing, but playing a joke with a firearm, is absolutely idiotic.

A swift kick to the a**, is what those dumba**es deserved.

waterdog

CZ-75
February 23, 2003, 01:52 AM
Still, these guys are overqualified to be on the Cookeville PD.

:neener:

TexasVet
February 23, 2003, 02:12 AM
------------------------------------
[hammer--geez, I'm a moron]
------------------------------------

Please, please stop leaving straight lines like this around!!! I'M about to have a heart attack from refraining to respond to this in a rude and inconsiderate manner!
:D

(And the idiot cops are very lucky that the lady clerk DIDN'T have a heart attack or faint, striking her head on the desk. I'm betting there will be a lawsuit out of this, however.)

LawDog
February 23, 2003, 09:30 PM
There's a Christian parable concerning stones and glass houses. I think a variation -- Let him who hasn't done something incredibly stupid in the name of amusement cast the first stone -- maybe applies here.

A certain LEO of canine extraction once came upon an officer fast asleep and snoring in a marked unit on the graveyard shift. Said officer may or may not have lit the fuse on a string of firecrackers and dropped them onto the passenger seat. Said furry officer may also have screamed: "Shots fired...officer DOWN! just before the firecrackers started going off. Allegedly. :evil:

A sheriff of my acquantance was driving a newly hired officer about the county, when he noticed that the new hire had gone to sleep in the passenger seat of the unit. The sheriff promptly drove out to the local lake, held his sawn-off 12 gauge out the window, squeezed off two rounds and bellowed: "Cover me, boy, I'M GOIN' IN!". :neener:

Apparently the prospective officer made it chest-deep in lake water before stopping to see what was actually going on. The sheriff gently advised him to go be a cop somewhere safer - Dallas was recommended. :scrutiny:

As far as never having done something incredibly bloody stupid in the name of amusement -- well, I kinda gotta bow out on the stone-throwing.

Hell, not just amusement -- I'm the guy who executed Santa Claus, and held a child's doll at gunpoint. :banghead:

And, having read some accounts here and on TFL concerning Members and experiences with high-explosives; shotgun shells/ball bearings; common household chemicals in the proper proportions; the shooting of various pressurized/volatile/spectacular items; high-velocity engineering; 12-gauge disposal of common household pests; or anything else that causes overuse of the bug-eyed emoticon, I'm not sure that more than a few maybe ought not to be getting in on the stone-throwing either.

Just two cents worth of flash-burned eyebrow, anyhoo.

LawDog

DeltaElite
February 23, 2003, 11:12 PM
Yanno LawDog, you reminded me of a story.

One night, allegedly, an officer was checking a business alarm, when at the most vulnerable point of his check, someone threw a firecracker at him. :what:
Now from what I was told, you see I wasn't there, honest. :evil:
The officer actually levitated into the air while drawing his weapon in a panicked, yet efficient manner.
Of course the laughter from the nearby bushes, quickly clued him in to the fact that he was the hapless victim of a pyrotechnic prank. :D

I do wish I had been there to see that one. :p

Quartus
February 24, 2003, 07:50 PM
Still, these guys are overqualified to be on the Cookeville PD.

OK, I'm out of the loop. Just what is the deal with Cookeville? I know from comments on TFL that it was something last fall, and I MUST KNOW WHAT IT WAS!!

Uh, I was in that area last fall....

:uhoh:

Jedi_7.62
February 24, 2003, 09:29 PM
They should have been terminated immediatelly!!!!!

Yes Cops are held to a higher standard in some cases but hey they also have a greater responsibility to the public, if a person can not act responsibly with a firearm they do not need one let alone be one of the very few people deemed by a large masss of society as the only folks who should carry weapons.

For years it bothered me to get pulled over by a cop. Not so much because I was afraid of getting a ticket but because they were armed and I was not. Even now if you get pulled over the first thing they do is take your weapon. It makes me sick to hand over all the power to someone else. However I do understand it to a degree. I still don't like to be disarmed!!!!
Hell why not just ask to "do" my old lady I'd probably be less offended.

My point is I don't want to pay some idiot like this to "protect " me
My philosophy is I'll call the cops when I'm done shooting!!!

If someone is going to have the power that is granted to police then they need to be held to a higher standard. Idiots like this shouldn't be tolerated at Mcdonalds let alone a Police dept.

Scenario...Police show up to office prank ...One person standing with a gun over an injured or fake dead person. The officer around here anyway would probably shoot person holding gun. sorry but this action would be justified. Later sorry officer it was a joke.

THE GENE POOL NEEDS A LITTLE CHLORINE!!!!!!!!

DeltaElite
February 24, 2003, 10:18 PM
I want Higher pay to go with the Higher standard. ;)

Jedi_7.62
February 25, 2003, 01:47 AM
Hey Delta,

How about instead of higher pay bonuses for nastier criminals. Maybe an extra bonus if you can save the public the cost of a trial legally of course?

Solve that catch and release problem. :D

DeltaElite
February 25, 2003, 11:00 AM
Don't tease me like that Jedi. Ya get me all excited. :D

mjustice
February 25, 2003, 11:14 AM
Pranks are fun. Pranks with firearms not acceptable. It's not worth the risk. These clowns are lucky that they weren't fired and subjected to criminal charges. Any other job and they would have been.

MJ

Quartus
February 25, 2003, 02:04 PM
I want Higher pay to go with the Higher standard.

I'd vote for that, Delta. I'd even vote to have my taxes raised to pay for it. Cheerfully. IF I could be sure the money would go into officer's pockets, NOT into administration overhead.

DeltaElite
February 25, 2003, 02:10 PM
LOL Quartus.
I am happy with my pay, but appreciate your offer. :D
I just want to retire.

In the last 10 years, we have increased steadily in middle management, aka Sgts, Lts, Capts, but not in street cops.
So I doubt any new monies would be put to good use.

Quartus
February 25, 2003, 07:18 PM
Aye, Delta, that's the rub. Same thing in publik edyoocashun. Too much overhead. To much administration. THe problem is not that we're spending too little. THe problem is that we're spending foolishly.

But I don't think you guys get paid enough. And most of the top brass gets more than is warranted.

DeltaElite
February 25, 2003, 08:03 PM
The same is true for education.
Sadly the bloated hogs just get more bloated.

If you enjoyed reading about "OH - Idiot cop fires blank in office prank" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!