Guns and housemaids.

PDA

BamBam-31
August 31, 2004, 10:14 PM
To most non-gunnies, I'm a certifiable gun nut. (Not compared to the many THR members I aspire to emulate, but I've got a decent collection.) I've got pics of my collection posted around the house. I've got so many rifles, the safe is full, and there's no more room under the bed. I've got rifles and handguns in locked cases sitting around in various places throughout the house simply because there's nowhere else to put them.

I know these arrangements sound very familiar to many of you, but now my wife's just introduced a housemaid into the mix.

I'm not really concerned about theft, at least not directly. My wife makes sure the maid leaves her purse in the garage, and that she leaves with nothing more. But what if she tells someone about my collection?

Anyone with similar experience? Anything I should watch out for with housemaids?

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns and housemaids." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kenneth Lew
August 31, 2004, 10:17 PM
If you can afford that many guns and a housemaid, get another safe(s). Having too many guns lying around is asking for trouble.

Kenneth Lew

Jim K
August 31, 2004, 10:26 PM
If at all possible, get a room or large closet and put all the guns, pictures of guns, and gun reading matter in there. Then lock it up. The cleaner is told only, "Oh, that's Joe's room, you don't need to clean in there as he doesn't want his papers and stuff disturbed."

Cleaners (they don't like to be called "maids", as that implies a personal servant) hear that all the time, so it doesn't bother them, nor do they get suspicious. But you then have an obligation to keep "your" room clean.

Jim

effengee
August 31, 2004, 10:38 PM
"What? I cleaned it. it was all dirty and oily."

Leaving a gun around when non-gunners are around and/or I'm not around is asking for trouble...
I think it would be prudent to make an "off limits" area, or dedicate a room to the collection... Then lock them in a safe, in the locked room...
When they aren't with me, or I'm not home, mine are in a safe in my bedroom closet... Which also has a lock on it...
I have babysitters who know I own guns and that my bedroom is off-limits to our kids/them when we aren't home...
Ask your housekeeper about her knowledge of firearms safety so that you know what to expect should she happen to find one you forgot you stashed somewhere...

Knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle!
GI Joe

Regards,
Jim

schromf
August 31, 2004, 10:47 PM
Put it all in a locked room. Get the housemaid to sign a statement that she clearly understands she is not authorised to touch, handle, even look at your firearms. And further any consequences from ignoring the above are solely her responsiblility, and you are not liable in any way. It would have been a condition of work for me hiring actually.

( these needs Lawyer speak but you get the point )

El Tejon
August 31, 2004, 11:31 PM
Maid is only contracted for bathrooms and kitchen. It was made (get it?) very clear (i.e. in writing) not to enter into my bedroom where HD shotgun/pistols are kept.

Other guns in safes downstairs. IMHO, buy a safe.

whm1974
August 31, 2004, 11:44 PM
I know these arrangements sound very familiar to many of you, but now my wife's just introduced a housemaid into the mix.

If you have a housemaid/cleaning person then what is the point of being married?
My kidding asided, how much are you(or your wife) paying this person? If it's around mimmine wage you are asking for trouble. For one you are going to have trouble getting decent help for low pay, and another is that the only reason some people take low paying cleaning jobs is to case homes for valuebles. Because of the latter I will not hire a cleaning person even if I had Bill Gates money.

-Bill

geekWithA.45
September 1, 2004, 12:28 AM
Beware loose lips.

The maid might be reliable, but who knows about her friends?

Gabby Hayes
September 1, 2004, 12:45 AM
Geez, where'd you get that maid? Mine wants me to take her to the range so she can learn to shoot. :)

BamBam-31
September 1, 2004, 03:37 AM
I suggested buying another safe, but the wife's already upset that the one I have practically takes up the whole closet. Maybe the new cleaner will change her mind about that.

We do have off-limit areas (walk-in closet), and that's where the pistol cases currently reside. No room for the rifle cases there, however. Those are stuck under the bed. Before the cleaning lady gets there, I double check that all the cases are locked up. I've already taken down the pics, but I've still got catalogs and books on my shelves that are dead giveaways. Gonna be a real pain to have to move those around every time.

The cleaner herself is a very nice lady. She charges $10/hr., so it's a bit more than minimum wage. She does really good work, however. The way she folds the towels and TP, I think she used to work in a hotel.

I get a pretty good vibe from her, though. It's just that she may mention my collection in a conversation somewhere later on, and that's info I'd rather keep private. Hmm. A talk is prolly in order w/ regards to gun safety and my privacy. Don't want to freak her out, though.

The waiver sounds like a pretty darn good idea, too....

rock jock
September 1, 2004, 03:51 AM
Our maid has full run of the house while we are at work. I keep all my guns under lock and key. More importantly, before we hired her, I did the following:

- checked her references by phone
- got a copy of her DL
- asked many questions during the interview process
- did a background check through the internet ($75) to confirm her answers

Okiecruffler
September 1, 2004, 10:54 AM
My maid keeps taking my guns to the range and shooting up all my ammo. And she doesn't even do that good of a job at cleaning. Of course we've been married now for 11 years, so I don't think I can get her to change now.
:D

Man I hope she isn't reading the boards today.

notbubba
September 1, 2004, 12:37 PM
:o

I'm a very bad boy.

My first thought was of a hottie in a "naughty french maid outfit" packing heat.

:evil:

Treylis
September 1, 2004, 03:04 PM
Put it all in a locked room. Get the housemaid to sign a statement that she clearly understands she is not authorised to touch, handle, even look at your firearms. And further any consequences from ignoring the above are solely her responsiblility, and you are not liable in any way. It would have been a condition of work for me hiring actually.

I'd say that's not a good idea--the best path would simply be to hide the guns and say "absolutely never go into this room". Mentioning guns brings up a greater risk. There have been thefts down here involving maids and their criminal friends, and I'd prefer to let them think I'm just paranoid about them touching my stuff or invading my personal space rather than that I have a safe full of firearms.

sumpnz
September 1, 2004, 04:04 PM
I've got so many rifles, the safe is full, and there's no more room under the bed. I've got rifles and handguns in locked cases sitting around in various places throughout the house simply because there's nowhere else to put them. Damn dude, if you've got that many guns, sell a bunch of them to finance a new safe for the remaining "extras" and to pay for the addition to the house that the new safe will require.

BamBam-31
September 1, 2004, 04:13 PM
Actually, most of them are of the C&R variety, so it's not really that difficult to run out of room.

RustyHammer
September 1, 2004, 04:19 PM
I more worried about her teenage son that helps her during the summer months than her. She's been with us for over 4 years and never a problem.

My solution to the "gun safe gun overflow" problem was to put a key lock on one of my closet doors and put all the extra rifles, gear and such in there. I have the only two keys and if anyone were to tamper with the lock, I'd know about it.

Our security system in on when ever we're not there. She can set it without knowing the combination. She cannot turn it off once it is set.

Detached garage (shop) is has security system.

Nothing is perfect, but it's comfortable situation for me.

armoredman
September 1, 2004, 04:21 PM
You said under the bed - get one of those rolling horizontal safes. Then get a Couch Safe - looks like a love seat, but holds sveral long guns...carried them at J-Mart aons ago...
I wish I had that problem - my Mosin is very lonely in the safe...all alone...while the shotgun is in the hock shop....:(

spacemanspiff
September 1, 2004, 04:27 PM
my mother was self employed as a house cleaner/janitor all while us kids were growing up. trust was never an issue, since she never advertised, but obtained accounts by word of mouth. seems every doctor or lawyer would recommend my mother to their friends. all of us kids helped out.

when i was a youngin, guns didnt interest me. so seeing a gun laying around a persons home didnt make me get all giddy, like it would now.

about the only thing my mother would try to do is hide the homeowners issues of playboy.

if you worry that much, it is within your right to inform the house cleaner that no one else is permitted on your property. or have a background check performed. doesnt cost a whole lot of money.

Brad Johnson
September 1, 2004, 05:10 PM
Poor man's solution...

If you have a small interior closet with some extra space, replace the "regular" knob with the keyed (exterior style) knob set. Not exactly Ft Knox, but it will keep curious hands at bay. If you want a little added protection, replace the flimsy interior style door with a solid core or steel door, reinforce the jamb with a strip of steel and some lag bolts, and install double deadbolts (one on each side of the door).

For the ultimate in retrofit fun check out this AmSec vault door that fits in a standard opening. (http://www.amsecusa.com/vault-door.htm)

Brad

Jim K
September 1, 2004, 09:37 PM
I think having her sign some kind of paper or make some kind of pledge would be the worst idea I can think of. That would either make her very angry (it would me) or very suspicious. You don't want that situation.

My first suggestion holds. The "Joe's den" explanation is safe, common, and covers the situation well without any mention of guns.

Or do as I did and hire someone on the recommendation of your daughter, who doesn't know anyone who doesn't shoot or hunt.

Jim

Kim
September 2, 2004, 12:53 AM
You talking about maids made me think of a funny event. Nothing really to do with your situation. I was in Memphis back in 1985 and stayed at a motel. I put my handgun under the pillow next to me. About 20 miles down the road the next day I thought---- Oh crap I left my gun. I went back and asked at the desk sheepisly if the maid had found something I left in the room. The manager reached down and said yea and handed me my handgun. I said thanks and left. At the time I was a 26 y/o blonde female about 105 pounds so I think he was laughing at me when I left.

Coronach
September 2, 2004, 02:03 AM
1. If you can afford a lot of guns and a maid, you can afford another gunsafe. Lock your stuff up, lest someone part you from it.

2. Consider that what you are basically doing is inviting a stranger into your house. The stranger is only able to find gainful employment by cleaning up house after other people. You are inviting this person to go through your stuff and put away stuff that is out of place. Probably while you're not there.

3. Even if this person is 'ok', their friends and associates may not be. Or, the maid who fills in for this one might not be.

Can you tell that I have taken this report before? Multiple times?

To any and all out there who are, or have friends/family who are, housecleaners, my apologies...but lets face it, they are probably the exceptions that prove the rule as far as 'employability' goes. And by no means are all (or even most) housekeepers thieves...but enough of them are that it helps keep cops busy taking theft reports.

YMMV, and especially if you actually know the people involved.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns and housemaids." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!