Which is the better PPK clone...

PDA

Overclocker
August 31, 2004, 10:37 PM
...the FEG APK or the Daewoo DH380?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the better PPK clone..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mattx109
September 1, 2004, 01:40 AM
Look at a SIG P232.

Overclocker
September 1, 2004, 02:29 AM
Just between those 2 which is better?

MICHAEL T
September 1, 2004, 02:41 AM
Both are suppose to be good pistols I would go with the Daewoo. Really should look at a Bersa can't be beat for price:D

Black Majik
September 1, 2004, 03:02 AM
The SIG P232 is definitely the best ppk clone'ish pistol out there.

But, if money's a lil' tight, dont overlook the Bersa Thunders. They're great little pistols from what I've read up on here.

Overclocker
September 1, 2004, 03:47 AM
Yeah I've considered the Bersa Thunder 380 but I don't like 2 things:

1) the aluminum frame, I don't trust alu alloys
2) the plastic finger extension which is also the "floorplate" that holds the magazine spring in tension, seems to be weak. When you drop the gun the plastic might crack and spill cartridges everywhere.

The SIG, CZ83, and Walther PPK are out due to relatively higher cost :eek:

So now I'm choosing between these two:

FEG APK or the Daewoo DH380.

They have almost the same price.

otomik
September 1, 2004, 07:17 AM
are you actually staring at these in the gunshop display because the odds of seeing a DH380 and APK aren't that great. Awhile back i was on my own search for a PPK sized fun gun in .22LR. If I might add another gun to you hunting list the Bersa 383 is also all steel (and nicely blue too boot).
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976372400.htm

Now if you were to miraculously find all three of these all steel PPK clones I'd go with the feg apk IF you're looking for a true copy with all the original's looks and faults (not a SD gun). IF you're looking for a self defense gun then go with the Bersa or Daewoo, they are more "refined".

and I love aluminum alloys, if only they could be blued like steel.
Best steel gun out there for your budget would probably have to be a Makarov though (another "refined" PP design).

Overclocker
September 1, 2004, 09:34 AM
Another thing going against the Bersa is that it's backordered at my place. It could take some time for them to get new stock...

Yes, I did some shopping and the APK and the DH380 are indeed available. :) But I can't decide which to get :confused:

gvass
September 1, 2004, 09:36 AM
"The SIG P232 is definitely the best ppk clone'ish pistol out there.
"

Yep, "clonish". But not clone in the meaning of the word.

The FEG APK is closer to original, but parts are not interchangeable. Most of the centerfire FEG PP/PPK copies have firing pin safety (lifting firing pin), except this, they are mechanically the same as Walther PP/PPK.

The only FEG which have interchangeable parts (magazine for example) with the PP is the old 48M in .32 ACP.

otomik
September 1, 2004, 12:42 PM
Gvass probably has more experience with the FEG (Hungarians both) so I'll argue on behalf of the Daewoo. Afterall, Daewoo made my microwave and have thus far been good to me.

With the DH380 you not only have the mythos of 007 but you also have an artifact of the excessive diversification rampant in Korean chaebol, which many fault for their current economic crisis. You probably will have trouble finding parts for it in the future, as many Daewoo car owners have also reported, but it's the same situation with the FEG. Also the Daewoo has more barrel (3.8'') and capacity than the APK (8 rounds compared to 6)
grab extra mags before all part dissapear http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/1oak.html

Besides the APK is too much of a wannabe, gun snobs will laugh at you for grabbing the APK. Sure the DH380 isn't as much like the PPK but most people can't tell the difference except the gun snobs, who will laugh at any .380 anyway.

denfoote
September 1, 2004, 05:11 PM
My dealer had a couple of French PPs in his case for just over $300, as I recall. Check CDNN, Aim surplus, and the like. I bet you could find the genuine article for a very reasonable price!!
Why get a clone... :rolleyes:

orangeninja
September 1, 2004, 05:26 PM
"The SIG P232 is definitely the best ppk clone'ish pistol out there."

NOT!

I have two pink 1/4 to 1/2 inch scars on the back of my right hand that are the exact width of a 232 slide.

The thing bites like a pissed off chow for anyone with big mits....like me.
:D

Shooter973
September 1, 2004, 05:35 PM
I have a FEG clone of the PPK in 22 long rifle that is a primo handgun. It looks just like the PPK and is 100% in funtion when high velacity ammo is used. Its even pretty acurate for such a small handgun. I've never bench tested it but it seems to hit things at the plinking range with good frequency and is not a "Biter" at all. I have large hands and its got good ergonomics for me. Nice litle beavertail type to keep the hammer off your hand. I love mine and will never let it go. With the New CCI velociraptor 22 ammo it would even be a pretty good carry gun. :D

orangeninja
September 1, 2004, 05:39 PM
"The SIG P232 is definitely the best ppk clone'ish pistol out there."

NOT!

I have two pink 1/4 to 1/2 inch scars on the back of my right hand that are the exact width of a 232 slide.

The thing bites like a pissed off chow for anyone with big mits....like me.
:D

sgtb
September 1, 2004, 06:32 PM
I have the FEG smc-380 and smc-22 and both are flawless... I would not trade either.

mattx109
September 1, 2004, 09:28 PM

That's true. I have small hands and it works fine for me, but every big-handed shooter seems to at least get a few red marks.

Clean97GTI
September 1, 2004, 10:37 PM
Southern Ohio Gun has the Walther PP for sale for $295. add $20 for handpick.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_hand.html

Oh, on the same page you'll notice a Zastava Md. 70 in .32 acp for less than half the price of the PP. The Zastava is all steel too. Have you considered a Makarov?

arinvolvo
September 2, 2004, 03:39 AM
between the two...either...with an emphasis on feg.

but seriously...Bersa thunder 380...only way to go.

horge
September 2, 2004, 05:13 AM
the odds of seeing a DH380 and APK aren't that great.
The Daewoo DH380?
It gets around. Well, on this side of the big urinal...

http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/daewoo2.jpg

http://mabma.thereeftank.com/postpics/daewoo.jpg

Sorry for the jittery shot.
I ws getting jostled as I took the pic.

I'd take the FEG over the Daewoo for durabilty, though the Daewoo
has smoother action. I'd still take a Bersa Thunder 380 over
either, hehe --better hand fit, and a slightly better natural point.

IIRC, in that glass case was a .380 bonanza.
Sig, Browning, Bersa, Daewoo, FEG, Walther, Bersa, CZ...
Even a Llama, hehe...

David4516
September 2, 2004, 08:03 AM
Makarov is the way to go... it's just as good (maybe even better), but its cheaper and shoots a bigger bullet...

http://www.a-human-right.com/makarov.jpg

yayarx7
September 2, 2004, 01:03 PM
Second on the Mak.
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1218450

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the better PPK clone..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!