Low power scope for ak47

PDA

minnesota oldie
September 1, 2004, 03:03 AM
I'm not trying to turn a turd into a tackdriver, but I can't stand the sights on my ak. How about some suggestions for a low power, adjustable scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Low power scope for ak47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45 Fu
September 1, 2004, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure how "low power" you are willing to go, but I mounted a 1x Target Sports dot, from CDNN, to my AK. I know it's not the "best" dot sight on the market, but it does what I want it to. It has a 20mm tube and a 4MOA dot (at 100 yards). These can be set up using either the side mount or on a new cover with integral mount. Some say the latter is not very stable, but for such a small and light sight I have had no trouble with it.

Using a 50 yard zero (at wich the dot covers 2 MOA), and setting to where the shots hit at the top end of the dot (but still inside it), you have approx. 225 yards in which to shoot to where the bullet (elevation wise) will still fall inside the dot. This is assumimg a 122 gr. bullet at standard velocity. At 200 yards (with a 50 yard zero) the bullet drop will be approx. -5.8" and the dot will cover 8 MOA. So, as long as you do not have to figure for excessive cross wind, you should be able to have your shots inside the dot out to 225 yards approx. , as long as you and the rifle are capable.

Since the AK is not a match/sniper rifle I figure, for my needs, at least, this is a good set up. I can quickly aquire close-in targets and still have a little reach. I know my rifle will hold minute of chest out to 300 yards, but the terrain locally usually limits most shots to 250 yards or less. I figure, since this is my SHTF rifle, that if something is farther away than that then I am better off evading or moving to a better shot. If I need something to get out there I have other rifles to do it with.

Hope this helps.

ChristopherG
September 1, 2004, 08:39 AM
To the question; I'd suggest a red-dot with no magnification for the same basic reasons as 45fu.

(with this clarification: MOA, or Minute Of Angle, doesn't change with distance. A dot that covers 4 MOA at a hundred yards will cover 4 MOA at any distance. A 'Minute of Angle' can be pictured as a tiny little wedge of space extending out from you to the horizon, growing wider with distance. A 'minute' is one sixtieth of a 'degree', of which there are 360; so it's a small wedge, or a very acute angle. At a hundred yards--by a convenient coincidence of measurements--4MOA is equal to 4 inches. At 50, it's half that; at 200, twice that; etc.)

So, I'd say a red-dot with a 4 or 5MOA dot would serve the intended purpose and accuracy potential of an AK quite well.

Hazwaste
September 1, 2004, 08:34 PM
One word..."POSP"...well ok actually it's technically an acronym not a word. But they're good enough for AK's (lack of) precision. Should be able to get a 4x POSP scope with built in AK mount for around $120 on the net.

MrMurphy
September 1, 2004, 08:50 PM
Kobra Russian made dot scope. It goes with the left side rail on the rifle.

JohnKSa
September 1, 2004, 09:00 PM
There's a guy named tantal

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/

who sells optics made for AK style rifles.

Nice guy, good prices and lots of know-how if you have questions.

MAKOwner
September 1, 2004, 11:58 PM
If you have a siderail mount already on your AK (you didn't mention what you've got that I see), a POSP, or one of the reddot Russian military scopes is the way to go. http://www.freedomoptics.com has alot of them, sometimes you can find a better price so check around once you decide on something.

If you don't have a siderail or want a forward mount, the Ultimak mount (replaces upperhandguard) has a decent reputation. Then you can use most any standard red dot sight... Hakko makes a Aimpoint ripoff called the Tacpoint that has been catching my eye recently, it's cheap ($100ish) but supposedly still pretty well made (not as nice as a true Aimpoint, but then it's 1/4 the price...)

OEF_VET
September 3, 2004, 02:23 AM
I just put an Ultimak mount on my SAR-1 today. It was real easy to install, no harder than switching upper handguards and tightening several screws.

I ordered a NcStar red dot scope from www.sportsmansguide.com for $100. It should be here Monday and will be going on the Ultimak mount.

This is all part of my newest gun project, turning my SAR-1 into something a little better. I've already switched to an AR-style pistol grip and put an AR-style stock adapter on the rifle. Soon, there will be a collapsible CAR stock on the backend. I'm also getting a tri-rail lower handguard and new safety lever from Red Star Arms. The safety lever is notched IOT hold the bolt to the rear and is made so that the safety can be moved without having to take the firing hand off the pistol grip. I've ordered a B.M.A.S. folding front grip from Bushmaster, which will be going onto the bottom rail. The left rail will be getting a GG&G rail-mount sling thing that is on order from Lightfighter. Also on order from Lightfighter is a Specter 3-point tactical sling. Eventually, I may put a Surefire on the right side rail. The next step is to install a new fire control group, either from RSA or Tapco. All in all, I'll end up spending more on accessories than I did on the rifle, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

AK103K
September 3, 2004, 07:08 AM
The Ultimak with a low mounted red dot is the way to go for the AK. Its up front, out of the way of both handling and field of view. It allows for quick, natural snap shots and your aimed groups will shrink. With the right sight and rings/mounts, you can also co-witness your iron sights. Its a well made mount and although a little pricey, well worth the money.

Glamdring
October 24, 2004, 06:07 PM
HAs anyone else used the Ultimak mount?

5x5
October 25, 2004, 12:29 PM
You can get a Romanian 4X POSP for $60 from Centerfire systems. It's not illuminated, but it has better glass than the russian scopes. I have one that I use along with a Kobra EKP-8-03M.
- Ian

Sleeping Dog
October 25, 2004, 09:40 PM
5x5,

What kind of reticle does the romanian scope have? Is it the same "chevron" shaped thing as the russian, or does it have crosshairs?

Regards.

chevrofreak
October 25, 2004, 11:18 PM
I use an UltiMAK with a Target Sports 30mm red dot. I love the setup.

wardog
October 26, 2004, 01:11 AM
I've got an AK on order, and am currently looking for inexpensive red dots.

I've heard some good things about some of these Russian ones.

Here's some links.

http://www.freedomoptics.com/Comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

http://www.binocularsmart.com/

http://www.posp.ru/ab.html

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/index.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Low power scope for ak47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!