guide for parts count to be lagal?

PDA

CentralTexas
September 1, 2004, 08:04 PM
I have a PolyTech AK47 and wish to convert to the preban features. I know there is a US parts count needed but can't find it on the BATFE website.
Anyone have a good website to check etc.
Thanks,
CT

If you enjoyed reading about "guide for parts count to be lagal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
September 1, 2004, 08:11 PM
Of these parts, it cannot contain 10 or more imported parts. Some firearms do not have all 20 parts on the list, in which case you would need to replace fewer parts to get under the 10 limit.
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

CentralTexas
September 1, 2004, 09:39 PM
(1) receivers
(2) Barrel
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors

I have a Choate stock and magazines aside I have the above 12 items on my AK.
So if I add a US made pistol grip(1), handguards(1) and a buttstock (1) I will only have 9 imported parts correct?
Looks like a magazine counts as 3 parts?-
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates
So unless I find a fully US made mag I have to get rid of 3 more parts such as trigger,hammer, sear correct?
Thanks,
CT

boofus
September 2, 2004, 07:44 PM
Make it a SBR and you can ignore the parts count :D

Just register it as a Short Barreled Rifle but don't actually cut the barrel down. With the ATF paperwork, you have the option to legally shorten it, but you don't have to. No NFA weapons are subject to the parts count.

Hkmp5sd
September 2, 2004, 09:23 PM
Make it a SBR and you can ignore the parts count

AFAIK, ยง 5844 of the National Firearms Act prohibits the importation of NFA firearms for civilian use, so converting an imported firearm into a NFA firearm would create a firearm that is illegal for importation and violate 922(r).

boofus
September 2, 2004, 09:59 PM
I thought if you brought it in and it had a certain number of American made parts to keep the foreign parts under 10, the gun automagickally became Made in America? :confused:

Man I hate this spaghetti mishmash of gun laws. :cuss:

Feanaro
September 2, 2004, 10:44 PM
Perhaps I haven't looked into it enough but I'm pretty sure Boofus is correct. Having the correct number of parts(Or lack of parts, as it were. Less then 10 foreign) turns the weapon into a US made firearm and not required to meet the definition of "sporting." But making it an SBR won't change the part regs, unless I missed something.

Flatfender
September 3, 2004, 01:05 AM
This will answer your questions:

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49224&highlight=parts+count

Hkmp5sd
September 3, 2004, 09:18 AM
the gun automagickally became Made in America?
It does. Change the parts and you can do pretty much anything you want. I was referring to the comment that an SBR could ignore the parts count.

Destructo6
September 3, 2004, 04:03 PM
You don't have a disconnector on your AK, nor do you have an op-rod.

The standard stuff to swap on an AK is hammer, trigger, sear, and furniture.

If you enjoyed reading about "guide for parts count to be lagal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!