Cleansing the gene pool - Hot loads

PDA

SunBear
September 2, 2004, 11:48 AM
My apologies. Right message-wrong approach. I tried to deletethis thread and could not. So instead I offer:

Captain: I urge you to consider the consequences of using those loads in firearms which are not designed to handle them. The ammo and firearm manufacturer will confirm the danger of pushing the firearm beyond its' limits. Nuff said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleansing the gene pool - Hot loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
September 2, 2004, 12:12 PM
So, other than offering practical advice, are you looking to start a fight?

I don't really see a reason to ever call a fellow THR member 'stupid' and 'a moron' let alone in the same thread.

:scrutiny:

Walosi
September 2, 2004, 12:21 PM
I think everyone who has a S&W .45 Colt is in, or has gone through, the "worry wart syndrome" as one poster on the S&W Forum put it. Every owner wants to know the upper limits of the gun, and although we all know the cartridge can be loaded above those limits, the quandry goes on. Some just have to push the envelope. Fine, as long as they do it on days when I'm not at the range. The real question should be, "What is adequate or appropriate to your needs?". A 255 gr. LSWC at 850 to 900 fps will solve most anything that arises in my part of the country. A 185 gr. JHP at 1150 fps is the hottest I load, and all of my guns shoot it accurately. Those ranges and weights are what I have settled on. Before someone chimes in with "What about Bears?" let me suggest a 12 ga. with slugs. "Well, that's too heavy to carry". It is a lot lighter than a 400 lb. bear on your chest.

stevelyn
September 2, 2004, 12:31 PM
Well that's too heavy to carry. It's a lot lighter than a 400 lb. bear on your chest.

:D ROFLMAO:D

SunBear
September 2, 2004, 01:41 PM

cordex
September 2, 2004, 02:10 PM
Not sure why this deserved another thread ...

flatrock
September 2, 2004, 03:18 PM
It didn't deserve another thread. Pointing out that someone is doing something unsafe also doesn't need to be done in such a rude way. The rudeness won't do anything to convince either the person making the mistake or anyone else to change their minds.

Thumper
September 2, 2004, 03:25 PM
If he got your message in the other thread, I don't see the reason for a duplicate.

On the other hand, hot loads should be approached with some degree of caution.

Blackhawks are cheap. Save the M25 for looks and funsies. Put your Linebaugh loads through the Blackhawk and enjoy.

jsalcedo
September 2, 2004, 04:15 PM
From what I understand Elmer Keith blew up quite a few six guns while working up his now famous loads and bullets.

Was he a moron or an innovator?

2nd Amendment
September 2, 2004, 04:30 PM
He survived. That makes him an innovator...

SunBear
September 2, 2004, 05:05 PM
My apologies. Wrong approach. I have revised my post above. .

Thumper
September 2, 2004, 05:08 PM
Well done.

mtnbkr
September 2, 2004, 05:30 PM
From what I understand Elmer Keith blew up quite a few six guns while working up his now famous loads and bullets.

The difference is that people didn't do that sort of thing back then as a habit. He was exploring the limits of guns in ways few did. Nowadays, many people like to push hot loads and it's more or less common knowledge what a particular gun can handle.

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleansing the gene pool - Hot loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!