How many of you actually like to shoot?

PDA

WhiteKnight
September 2, 2004, 08:25 PM
I know this is a firearms forum and all, but I'm curious as to how many of you actually like to shoot.

For example, the majority of the hunters I know like to hunt but don't shoot more than 3-5 sight-in shots per year.

Likewise, I know a couple of people that own a gun for home defense yet only fire a dozen or so shots per year.

Yet both of these groups consider themselves "shooters" and are referred to by friends/family/coworkers as "gun people."

Personally I like shooting most anything as long as the recoil isn't too bad. However I have a buddy who absolutely loves recoil, and gets a disturbing satisfaction by going throw boxes of 3 1/2 shells at the range.

Please keep in mind I'm not going to make fun of you if you don't like to shoot. I will, however, wonder to myself if you've ever tried a .22 rimfire. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you actually like to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.H. Lee
September 2, 2004, 08:32 PM
I like to get to the range every weekend for practice with the 1911, MKII, CZ75B, scoped .308 bolt, Enfield, etc., at targets from 7 to 400 yds. :D

Amish_Bill
September 2, 2004, 08:32 PM
3-5 sighting shots a year? I drop that many mags of ammo through several different guns each range trip.

Black Majik
September 2, 2004, 08:34 PM
I love to shoot anytime funds allow. :)

kudu
September 2, 2004, 08:44 PM
I get out about every other weekend and shoot 3-4 rounds of skeet and the occasional round of trap and sporting clays. So I average about 75 rounds of shotshell ammo a week.

I can plink around the the yard any time I want with .22s. And if I get real ambitious, I can set up my target frame out in the field and shoot 700 yards with my long guns. :D

My handguns and rifles only get shot a few times a year, but my shotguns are out and about almost every week.

GrayBear
September 2, 2004, 08:46 PM
I like to shoot so much I even enjoy patterning shotguns.

In fact, I even pattern shotguns for other people!

:p

GrayBear

Mulliga
September 2, 2004, 08:46 PM
Errr...huh?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

My guess is everyone on these forums likes to shoot something. :)

Majic
September 2, 2004, 08:49 PM
You are just kidding right? Just look at the post count under folks name and take a wild guess.

September 2, 2004, 08:53 PM
I know exactly what you are saying. I know hundreds of people that own guns, and would be considered "gun people" that might only fire a gun once a year or even less. I know a lot of hunters who at most check their zero before hunting. A lot of them figure that once they zero, that is done and there is no reason to ever check it again. They don't fire a gun at all unless they are hunting or getting read to hunt. For them, they enjoy hunting, not shooting.
I also have read countless posts on this board written by people who ONLY own a gun for self defense. They probably practice with it, maybe even a lot, but I wonder if it isn't just work to them: they feel the need to aquire and maintain their skills but arn't doing it for enjoyment. I know a lot of people who bought a gun strictly for self defense and have never fired a single round through it. They don't think about guns, talk about guns, participate in any activities related to guns. They have a gun in their nightstand, dresser, car or whereever. They know it is there, but actually firing it never crosses their mind. I work with a guy that is very right wing. He went out and bought some type of handgun, I guess for self defense or possibly just because he considered it his duty as a right winger to own a gun. Some other people told me that they went camping with him and his wife. At some point during the trip, he and his wife took their handgun, hiked miles away from everyone else. He loaded the handgun and fired one round. He handed the gun to his wife and she fired one round. They then put the gun back in it's case and hiked back.
When I was growing up, I think just about everyone owned guns. But, I think very few of them every fired them. They might have been passed down through the family over the years, they might have been a war trophy, they might have been won in some raffle; who knows where they got them. They were pretty much just considered a fact of life, but I dont' think they ever really shot them or talked about them. To many, they were just a tool. I remember people would occasionally shoot a varmint, or maybe shoot down a wasps nest with a shotgun. My dad was a prime example. He owned at least a half dozen guns. His great grandfather owned a gun, his father owned a gun, my mothers father owned a gun............... and my dad ended up with all of them. He stuck them up above the duct work in the basement and never touched them again, until I started begging him to let me shoot them. Since I moved out, I am pretty sure he has never fired another gun.
I know a collector who for many years bought lots of guns and knew all about them and their history. But, he never fired them. He was strictly a collector. He has since turned himself around and now buys guns based on how they shoot.
I even have known at least one guy that talked about guns and even bought gun magazines. Yet he didn't own a gun and had never fired one.

I am not one of these people. I am into this hobby primarily for shooting. I do sort of collect guns, I do hunt, and I do own guns for self defense. But 99% of the reason I own guns is because I enjoy shooting them.

m.i.sanders
September 2, 2004, 08:55 PM
I shoot every chance I get. It's not as much as I'd like, but I manage to get to the range 2 or 3 times a month. Work keeps interupting:mad:

MikeK
September 2, 2004, 09:10 PM
I love to shoot but I don't get out as often as I'd like. I've only hunted once - nothing against it.

I've introduced all five of my nephews and one niece to shooting (working on the rest of the nieces). The one nephew that enjoys it the most was happy, but pretty expessionless (teenager) when shooting most of the guns. Then I loaded up a Ruger SP101 2" with .357. What a smile after shooting that! Personally I prefer the .38 Specials in that gun.

jamz
September 2, 2004, 09:24 PM
I get out at least once a week, mostly more. It's nice having a range a few minutes walk from the office. :D

-James

spartacus2002
September 2, 2004, 09:24 PM
Absolutely love it. Every Tuesday night = 100 rds thru my 1911. Don't get to shoot my M1A enough, though :(

cerberus
September 2, 2004, 09:40 PM
I was just crazy about reloading and getting out to shoot years ago. Just had to be out shooting every weekend. As the years passed I noticed that I could shoot just so good and I could shoot this good even after not shooting for Months. It just took about 100 rounds of any of my guns and I was again shooting about the same as always. Like riding a bike you never forget how. I found as many have that it's a lot about trigger pull reflex and eye contact on target. Happens quickly and you don't hold breath and mess around with the trigger. You sight and shoot. So now I go to the range about every two Months and shoot 200 to 300 rounds in each gun I take. It's really not that much fun anymore.:rolleyes: It's really more of a gun check thing. I could just as well dryfire at home but that would not be checking the guns as to being fit for service.:)

Hkmp5sd
September 2, 2004, 09:44 PM
In planning for my retirement home, it includes both an indoor range in the house and an outdoor range with shooting stations on the back porch.

Chut1st
September 2, 2004, 10:09 PM
I am blessed to live in the country with lots of room to shoot. Don't shoot every day, or even every week sometimes, but probably far more than the average. Most Sunday afternoons find a bunch of us shooting trap or pistols "out back". Nothing better than to pop some caps with my pals then retire to the workshop for a cold adult beverage (never mix the two).

Love everything that burns powder. From .22 rimfire to .454 Casull and .416 Rigby. Next major purchase will probably be a .50 BMG rifle, most likely a Viper.

Am I a gun nut? H***, yeah, and proud of it!

hso
September 2, 2004, 10:25 PM
Built my own pistol range off the back porch and pay for a range membership for long range. Just got 1000 rounds of 7.62x51 shipped in after having bought 300 weekend before last. Yeah I guess I like to shoot.:D

cracked butt
September 2, 2004, 10:26 PM
I would shoot every day if I had more time and a decent range closer to me. AS it stands, the range that I shoot pistols/rifles at is 60 miles away,and the local trap range has very limited open shooting hours and I work an odd schedule.

Every time I go shooting, I have to plan my entire day around it- 2 hrs travel time, 1 hr of loading everything in my truck, 3 or 4 hrs of shooting, 1 hr of cleaning guns. When my kid gets a little older, we'll go alot more.

geekWithA.45
September 2, 2004, 11:02 PM
If I had a backyard range, I'd invest in reloading equipment and shoot every single day.

Snaps
September 2, 2004, 11:17 PM
I like shooting bottles, cans, sometimes I can get a bunch of bottle caps, whatever I can get my hands one. Only thing I don't like shooting is 2D paper targets.

Bane
September 2, 2004, 11:19 PM
I love shooting! It is one of the few things that relaxes me after a hard week. I try to shoot every week but I probably average 3 times a month.

krusty311
September 2, 2004, 11:23 PM
I shoot as often as possible.:D

krusty

Nando Aqui
September 2, 2004, 11:30 PM
Yes, I very much like to shoot, and if the range were closer, I would shoot even more frequently, as is true of many others.

I average one trip to the range per week – occasionally miss one day, occasionally go twice in one week.

Normally shoot a couple of rifles and one handgun, and will shoot a round of trap every so often. Years ago I used to shoot four to eight rounds of skeet every week, and would shoot pistol and rifle regularly. No skeet range nearby anymore...

Alex

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 3, 2004, 01:24 AM
When I lived in the country with no neighbors around I'd shoot every day. When I was competing many years ago I'd shoot at least 3 days a week. As it is now I try to get to one of the local ranges at least a couple of times a month.

I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like now. I'll go back to shooting daily when I get a new place in the country.

I cannot imagine a time when I cannot or will not shoot, irrespective of disabilities or infirmities.

Regards,
Rabbit

Justin
September 3, 2004, 01:36 AM
Anything less than at least 90 rounds of .22 LR per week and I start to become uncivil and abrasive to my fellow humans.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 3, 2004, 02:40 AM
.22lr is cheaper than Prozac.

Moparmike
September 3, 2004, 05:28 AM
I like the idea of having guns. I would like shooting more if I could hit something. I was not really taught how to shoot, so I just line up the sights and pull the trigger, hoping I hit something. *shrug*

Its ok. I havent tried many 3d targets, although shooting the hell out of an AOHell disk is quite satisfying. Paper targets suck, and my pistol groups turn into patterns. For some odd reason, if you give me an AOL disk flopping around in the wind, I can put 5 bullets in an area the size of a shotglass at 9yds. You put me at a peice of paper, and I am lucky to keep the whole magazine on an 8x11 sheet of paper. I dont get it at all. The shotgun is much more fun with real targets too. Although if they are moving they had better be the size of a barn for me to hit them.

Shooting in general is painful. My 10mm hurts my wrist, my 8mm and 12ga hurts my shoulder, and the AK isnt too comfortable either. Although I can hit the best with the AK. My recently aquired H&R topbreak .22lr is rather nice though. Now if I can find a comfortable shooting position that doesnt make my back hurt. :(

michiganfan
September 3, 2004, 08:15 AM
I go as often as time permits. Usually twice a month in the summer. It goes to about every week in the winter.( No golf in Michigan.)

Ktulu
September 3, 2004, 09:04 AM
I shoot, what I consider, a lot. In my peak during the year I'll shoot up to 5 times a week. Most of the time it's more like 3 or 4 times a week. This is coupled with 30-60 minute dry fire practice on the off days. So, I would say I like to shoot.

Every year towards the end of the summer I tend to get a little burned out. I start skipping practices and local matches. I start shooting my bow for deer season, spending a little more time with the family, and transition into hunting.

I'm at that point right now. I jammed my strong hand thumb pretty bad last night and it's swollen and painful. I just cancelled my spot at the match tmoro and I'm a little disappointed. :(

Derek Zeanah
September 3, 2004, 09:40 AM
Wow - looks like I'm the only "no" up there.

For me, firearm ownership is about utility and responsibility; shooting can be fun, but it's not fun enough to get me to go to the range and spend range fees more often. Generally, I'd rather hang out with my wife, or play computer geek (maybe gaming), or take pictures, or go smoke a cigar and enjoy a good book at the park with my dog, or hang out with friends, or...

Shooting socially is different, but as a general rule I shoot enough to stay comfortable with my arms, and to keep my abilities "good enough" (generally hitting a pie plate at 50' is good enough for handgun use; with a rifle if I can hold a consistent 3" at 100m that's good enough for all practical purposes.)

Now, if I ever get a .22 revolver so I can practice some of the techniques in "fast and fancy revolver shooting" by McGivern that might change, but right now shooting for fun is _expensive_.

hillbilly
September 3, 2004, 09:41 AM
I didn't realize that there existed people who don't enjoy shooting.

Hell, even Chuckie Schumer likes shooting....He just doesn't think any of us peasants should.

hillbilly

MrMurphy
September 3, 2004, 10:00 AM
I love to shoot whenever I can afford it. I am a self defense type and do not hunt. I shoot and practice whenever possible, close contact drills, man down drills, move to cover, etc..

Same thing with my rifles.

It annoys the deer hunter types who go through 20 rounds a year but I don't care. When they can't remember how to zero a scope, I get asked.

I've shot :

.22, .32, .380, .38, .357, 9mm, 9mm Mak, 9X21, .357, .380/200, .40, .41 AE, .45, .45 Colt, .455 Webley, .454, .445 Super Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, 8mm Nambu,

.222, .223/5.56, .220 Swift, .22 Mag, 6.5X55, 6.5 Carcano, 6mm PPC, 7X57mm, 7.62 Nato, 7.7 Jap, .303 British, .30-06, .30-40, .30 carbine, 8mm Mauser, 7 Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, the various WSSMs, .30 Gibb, .45-70, .45-90, .50-110 (thanks Sharps guys!), .30-30, .35, .416 Rigby (ouch) Two shots of .458, .50 BMG in rifle and HMG flavors...... 40mm grenade launchers, 75mm howitzer, 120mm main gun..... even a blank 155mm howitzer round.

.410, 28, 20, 16 and 12 ga, plus a couple 10ga.

Most of those were in multi-thousand round groups, including full auto. So yes, I would say it's safe to say I love to shoot. I've also taught over a dozen people how to shoot.

And I probably forgot a few calibers I've shot in there.

JuniorG
September 3, 2004, 10:10 AM
I try to shoot twice a week and will shoot any where from 50 to 500 rnds, depending on what gun I'm into at the time.

The only thing I enjoy more is sitting at my bench and handloading more ammunition.

2nd Amendment
September 3, 2004, 10:11 AM
Let's see, there's now a small gunshop at the front of my drive, my back yard is my own 125yd range and across the tracks I've got 30 acres of prime deer hunting property... Nope, shooting holds no appeal at all. :)

dsb
September 3, 2004, 10:15 AM
All right - who voted Not Really? :p

Skunkabilly
September 3, 2004, 10:17 AM
Outside of training, it's more of a social thing for me now.

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/THR%20SLO%20Ninjas.jpg

Gun dorks :neener:

John Ross
September 3, 2004, 10:59 AM
I understand what the original poster means.

Kent Lomont once told me that if every gun he sold didn't have a firing pin, only a fraction of his customers would complain.

Many people buy guns for the pleasure of owning fine equipment or for the emotions they evoke, but shoot rarely.

I, too, own guns I haven't shot yet, that I bought because they excited me or interested me in some way, and I knew I'd get around to shooting them sooner or later. That said, realize that once you get much past a couple dozen, it's very difficult to NOT have guns you haven't shot in years, or at all.

I shoot once a week on average, always 200 to 500 rounds out of handguns and rifles, sometimes an additional 500-1000 out of full autos.

My students in CCW classes leave all my magazines loaded before they leave the range, and I have LOTS of magazines.

I got interested in shooting as a young boy andforty years later I like it more than I ever have. I've met men in their eighties that have said the same thing.

If shooting a lot seems too much of an ongoing expense but you don't mind investing money up front, get a good used S&W M41 and 20 spare mags. If that's too rich for you, get a Ruger Target, but don't ever shoot a Smith or you'll be unhappy.

Shoot at least 200 rounds a week of whatever ammo the gun likes best. If you can't afford $5-$8 a week in ammo costs, IMO your priorities are screwed up.

JR

Brrlgrrl
September 3, 2004, 11:19 AM
Yes. I practiced often with my revolver, but found I really, really, really enjoy my new rifle!
Range and paper is kind of boring, yet I recently had the opportunity to visit some friends who live in an area of CA that still resembles the USA. We were able to shoot unconventional targets that aren't allowed at the local ranges.
I have Caulrophobia, and worked through some of my fear by wasting company ink on lots of evil pictures and turning them into mulch. You could probably hear the hysterical laughter for miles after shooting their noses off! Best defense for "C" words- start with 357 lever action, noses, eyes, balloons- then go to the shotgun, no more "C" word! I also had the opportunity to "triple tap" (not sure that's what its called) Boy was that fun, but still paper. Then came the grapefruit. Oh my goodness, if I had the land I would build a rifle range and grow grapefruit trees!!!!!!! Those were so much fun I just can't get over it! And sodas! They were a treat! Range time will never be the same again.
So in closing, yes I enjoy shooting, have all my life, and enjoy it more and more! I need a shotgun next.

Daemon688
September 3, 2004, 11:38 AM
I dislike hunting simply for not being able to shoot. Hunting is simply getting food and 99.99% of the time you're not shooting anything.

If I had a decision between a day at the gun range or a day in the field, it would surely be at the gun range.

jefnvk
September 3, 2004, 11:53 AM
In planning for my retirement home, it includes both an indoor range in the house and an outdoor range with shooting stations on the back porch.

You are now my role model!

As for do I like shooting, I can't decide whether I want to join the competition rifle team or the pistol club. I think I'll do both. 30 hours of free range time a week sounds good to me!

I dislike hunting simply for not being able to shoot. Hunting is simply getting food and 99.99% of the time you're not shooting anything.

Just gotta hit the right day duck hunting. You'll be out of ammo before you know it (at least if you're a bad shot)

firearms_instructor
September 3, 2004, 11:57 AM
I love to shoot. I am a recoil masochist.

ReadyontheRight
September 3, 2004, 12:12 PM
I love to shoot, but I dislike how far I have to drive to do so.

ReadyontheRight
September 3, 2004, 12:14 PM
Also - Reagrding hunting. I've hinted most of my life, but I figured out a few years ago that I really like shooting more than hunting, so I started looking for more info on other kinds of shooting. This led to discovery of The Firing Line and eventually THR.:)

Rockrivr1
September 3, 2004, 01:11 PM
I love to shoot and went to the range whenever I could. I noticed last year that I wasn't getting to the range as much and when I thought about it I realized I was getting very bored shooting at paper. Because of that I wasn't going as much. That is until I started shooting competitively. I started out shooting HighPower and Trap on a regular basis. Now I've expanded that to doing some IDPA at my local range as well. Shooting in competition has opened up a whole new chapter in shooting for me. I can't wait to get to the range again. I love that feeling. Now that I'm out of commission with a bum shoulder (Due to shooting) I'm going to miss it a lot. Can't wait to get back at it once my shoulder heals up!!!

zougou
September 3, 2004, 02:56 PM
It is sort of a mix up for me. On the one hand, it's fun to have a chance to practice and see what other folks are shooting. On the other hand, you have to get your equipment in order, ensure you have ammo, then drive a distance to the range. At my range, there are no automated target holders and such, so invariably I get there and then have to stand around waiting for the line to go cold. That can take a while and then if you want to change targets you have to wait again. So, sometimes the prospect of all these hassles sometimes outweighs the fun of going. That and sometimes I feel guilty when I go.

Correia
September 3, 2004, 03:53 PM
I am to shooting what crackheads are to crack. :)

NMshooter
September 3, 2004, 04:48 PM
I don't get to wear out guns as much as I used to, but 200 rounds .22LR a week is the absolute minimum, regardless of rain, snow, or sand storms.:D

Eskimo Jim
September 3, 2004, 06:06 PM
I do enjoy target shooting. I tend to shoot handguns more often than rifles since the handgun range is pretty much set up all the time. I'll probably drag a rifle or two out this Autumn now that the cooler weather is coming in.

A couple of times a year I make a day of it and drag out as much gear as possible and put a couple boxes of ammunition through everything that I own. Then I make a night of it and clean up the mess.

-Jim

0luke1
September 3, 2004, 06:18 PM
I ended up shooting a lot more once I got involved in competitive shooting. I enjoy high power a great deal and once I get my high master ticket, I'm going to take sporting clays a lot more seriously.

Being a competitor gives you a source of pride, a challenge and a sense of purpose. I find that I shoot best at the matches where the shooters are the best. It's kind of like being back in the service - once you get into it, you really tend to feel VERY good about shooting/practicing and competing.

There's a match at Guthsville PA (featured in the recent Precision Shooting magazine) where lost a match to the guy featured in the article. He turned to me after the match, smiled and said "Now you can go home and tell all your friends that you got your ass kicked by a 78 year old man."

Bill's offhand isn't as good as it once was, but he still cleans prone regularly. It's just great to see the older guys shooting well - it gives you hope for the future.

Sulaco
September 3, 2004, 07:13 PM
I shoot as much as I can afford to.

crawfordew
September 3, 2004, 07:46 PM
I shoot sprorter rifle matches on Monday afternoons. I usually go to the range a couple hours early and shoot some of my guns that I don't shoot in competition.
Gene :D

craig
September 3, 2004, 09:23 PM
:D i try to hit the backyard range every weekend. weather and work permitting.

Cin
September 3, 2004, 09:29 PM
I shoot as often as i can. i work nights so most of the day i am sleeping but whenever i get the chance i shoot. hubby gets mad at the ammo bill.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
September 3, 2004, 09:31 PM
Don't hunt. Don't compete. Shooting's all I do, although not much of that lately, due to finances.

There's gun-owners that don't like it? Really?

I can understand hunting outside of the shooting context, so perhaps I'm being disingenuous. Guns are tools for a task, not neccessarily the task themselves.

Old Dog
September 3, 2004, 09:49 PM
... strongly suspect that 99% of us on this forum, when we're not:
(1) at work (some of us have to) or school,
(2) sleeping,
(3) spending time w/spouse, significant other and/or kids,
(4) out buying guns OR
(5) reading about guns or shooting on this forum ...
are probably out shooting!

LeonCarr
September 3, 2004, 10:02 PM
I have been shooting on a regular basis, at least once a month, since I was 13. I shoot at least once a week. I love to shoot.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. 1000 rounds a month keeps the badguys away :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

joe sixpack
September 4, 2004, 12:27 AM
The number of times I have gone out shooting so far I can count
exactly on one hand, I like it fine so far. I am thinking that if I get the
"right" gun that I would like it so much that I'll move in at the local range.

I really do like reading and talking about it though;)

cheers, ab

SodiumBenzoate
September 4, 2004, 12:32 AM
I absolutely love to shoot. But you know what the problem is? My shooting experience totals:

8 rounds of .22LR.

No, I am not joking. :( :( :banghead: :cuss: :( :( :(

What makes it worse is that every single time I go to the movies, or buy clothes, I have to listen to cops and prison guards shooting rifles at the range they have maybe 1/2 mile away. Lucky...

iamkris
September 4, 2004, 12:38 AM
My interest in guns spans many reasons, including art, mechanical wonderment, beauty and history. 75% of what I like about them is the perfection of shootin a good group. 15% competition. 10% hunting.

I've been shooting since I was 12. Over 27 years now. Can't even imaging the thousands of rounds that have been expended. I'd have to guess it's around 30,000-40,000.

Shane
September 4, 2004, 12:58 AM
I love to shoot. I like reactionary targets the best (cans, metal popper targets, plastic bottles), things that fall over when shot. Shooting paper can be a little dull, but actually seeing objects move when hit is satisfying.

Piney
September 4, 2004, 08:30 AM
I’m fortunate in that I’m 10 minutes from my range. I enjoy shooting at least once a week, especially with the .22’s. I shoot target and enjoy the plinking range shooting all kinds of objects at the 50 range. Right now I only shoot the pistols about once a month, but I have a new XD9 coming and that will probably change.

stevelyn
September 4, 2004, 11:22 AM
My ambition is to shoot at least once a week, but between work and the weather it's more like once a month. There is something miserable about standing in a sideways gale and trying to concentrate on marksmanship fundamentals.:banghead:

BHPshooter
September 4, 2004, 11:48 AM
I LOVE to shoot. It's about the only thing that keeps me sane in this life of mine.

As much as I love it, I love shooting with other people exponentially more.

Wes

YodaVader
September 4, 2004, 11:59 AM
I will, however, wonder to myself if you've ever tried a .22 rimfire.

I guess I have come full circle - started with a Marlin 22 rimfire and moved on to more powerful calibers in both rifle and pistol - 22 Mag , .223 , .308 , 444 in rifles and 9mm, 38 Spec., 357 Mag , 45 ACP, 44 Mag in handguns. But the 22 lr is the one I shoot the most these days. I guess it just means I am too damn lazy to reload ammo!:D I even bought a Beeman air rifle for indoor range use during the cold winter months.

So now I go to the range about every two Months and shoot 200 to 300 rounds in each gun I take. It's really not that much fun anymore. It's really more of a gun check thing.

I hope that shooting never loses it's fun factor for me:(

GunGoBoom
September 4, 2004, 12:35 PM
If I'm getting small groups==>Good feeling/good day.
If I'm getting large groups==>Bad day.

Dean C
September 4, 2004, 01:14 PM
My perscription for:
Long tense week, lotsa' traffic, too many self-centered people.

Ingrediants:
1 weekend (actually every weekend)
1 Son with same enthuiasm
1 4WD pick-up
4 to 6 rifles of various cal's.
enough ammo to fight a small war

Directions:
Combine all ingrediants.
Head to the hills.
Gently stir on gravel/dirt road.
Start with 22 and a couple hundred rounds.
Work up in cal.
Go until shoulder is "hurtin".
Back to 22's for a cool down.
Clean up area (except stress, leave it behind)

Results:
EUPHORIA

Caution!
IS HABIT FORMING. (I even sneak in a mid-weeker occasionally)
But don't worry, the short and long term effects are the same (see results).

dean

ddc
September 4, 2004, 01:50 PM
I like to shoot a lot more than I actually do.

I probably make it to the range (indoor, 25 yards) once a month if that.

The majority of that is handgun.

Part of the reason is I just get tired of putting holes in paper. I think I'll try to find a decent outdoor "plinking zone". I'm betting that chasing tin cans around and exploding watermelons will be an interesting change of pace.

Nathaniel Firethorn
September 4, 2004, 02:48 PM
I usually make it to the range once a week and am good for about 150 rounds. This is a better than average week. :D

- pdmoderator

Griff
September 5, 2004, 05:31 AM
Wife, friends, and I go to the range every week, try as many different weapons as we can to find out what works best for us. We learn a lot from all the people we meet and share what we can. Kills stress, gets us out of the house together, and gives us common goals to share.
If that ain't fun, I'm missing something important.

Jeff Timm
September 5, 2004, 08:17 AM
I like to shoot, but it's a pain to get to the range, when you have a job, wife and house to maintain.

Geoff
Who took two days off on a three day weekend, and Mother Nature sent a bloody hurricane to keep me from going to the RANGE!

:D

Blackcloud6
September 5, 2004, 08:51 AM
I love to shoot. Want to go shoot as often as I can. Not only is it fun fun fun but its a good stress reliever too.

Chris Rhines
September 5, 2004, 09:24 AM
Not....like...to....shoot???

Are you speaking some foreign language? It sounds like English, but the words just don't go together... :confused:

- Chris

rugerman
September 5, 2004, 09:30 AM
Personally I hate to shoot! But I need the brass to feed my reloading addiction!!!!! Has anybody got any spare brass, all mine is full and I just can't stand to pull a trigger anymore......................... Yea right!!!! rugerman

41 magnum fan
September 5, 2004, 09:38 AM
I love to shoot and hunt.I usally shoot between 2,000 and 3,000 rounds of ammo a month.I mainly shoot handguns,but shoot rifles and shotguns too.I have a small 150 yard range at home.Also have a outdoor range at work that hardly anyone else uses.There we have a skeet range,200 yard rifle and pistol range,bowling pins,steel silhouettes and plates and a few moving targets.The best part is that it is free.

M2 Carbine
September 5, 2004, 10:34 AM
Love to shoot.

I fly out of my place so most days if it isn't flying weather it's shooting weather.

I have a back yard 50+ yard pistol range and a 100 yard range in the woods, so I can pick up a gun anytime during the day and shoot.

I'll shoot several times some days but usually shoot every few days.
Been shooting a lot this week.
(I'm retired)

Mad Man
September 5, 2004, 11:51 AM
cracked butt

I would shoot every day if I had more time and a decent range closer to me. AS it stands, the range that I shoot pistols/rifles at is 60 miles away,and the local trap range has very limited open shooting hours and I work an odd schedule.

Every time I go shooting, I have to plan my entire day around it- 2 hrs travel time, 1 hr of loading everything in my truck, 3 or 4 hrs of shooting, 1 hr of cleaning guns. When my kid gets a little older, we'll go alot more.

September 3rd, 2004 02:26 AM

ReadyontheRight

I love to shoot, but I dislike how far I have to drive to do so.

September 3rd, 2004 04:12 PM

zougou

It is sort of a mix up for me. On the one hand, it's fun to have a chance to practice and see what other folks are shooting. On the other hand, you have to get your equipment in order, ensure you have ammo, then drive a distance to the range. At my range, there are no automated target holders and such, so invariably I get there and then have to stand around waiting for the line to go cold. That can take a while and then if you want to change targets you have to wait again. So, sometimes the prospect of all these hassles sometimes outweighs the fun of going. That and sometimes I feel guilty when I go.

September 3rd, 2004 06:56 PM

Jeff Timm

I like to shoot, but it's a pain to get to the range, when you have a job, wife and house to maintain.

September 5th, 2004 12:17 PM

In addition to all of the above:

When I was finally lucky enough to find an indoor range (private club) 10 minutes from where I live, I used to go every weekend and shoot 300 - 500 rounds. When I was the only person at the range, it was great.

But in addition to zougou's observation about waiting (or, I will add, having other people wait for you to finish), other members would start getting on my case about violating some unwritten rule ( eg - no shooting at targets closer than 50 feet, no shooting more than 5 rounds at a time). It was bad enough that the written rules were so poorly written as to be ambiguous and contradictory, but this was getting to be too much.

When I inquired with the board about this, I was told that they were right, and I was in the wrong. Needless to say, I didn't renew my membership this year.

As I've gotten more involved in organized clubs and competitions over the years, I've found them to mainly be a collection of "good ol' boys networks" and "group think" at it's worst. While we talk about how welcome newbies are to shooting, the truth I've seen is that they're not. This was especially illustrated to me when several people I know became interested in shooting after Colorado passed a "shall issue" CCW law early last year.

This is not so much due to rudeness or boorish behavior (although that exists, too), but shooters suffer from the C.O.I.K. syndrome ("Clear Only If Known"), and forget that newbies are not only ignorant -- not in an insulting sense of the word -- but have a lot of misconceptions and aprehensions about guns that have been fed to them their whole lives.

I've found that most shooters and instructors would rather impress people with their knowledge (which is often faulty or just an opinion), or make people believe that they're a tacti-cool bad-ass, rather than being interested in clearly explaining basic concepts and making sure that the newbie understands what was taught.

I'm a certified gun nut; and none of this has yet stopped me from buying new guns. Although I am starting to sell some of my collection, too, which would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

For a long time I was willing to put up with a lot of hassle to have a place to shoot. However, life is too short, and I have better things to do than waste more time driving to and from the range than I actually do shooting there, only so I can waste time with petty-minded jerks who want to tell me how to enjoy msyelf (a behavior not exclusive to liberals), or find out that the range is too crowded. It is no longer practical to go shooting often enough to maintain proficiency -- every time I do it seems like I'm nearly starting over.

So for now, I vote "Not really."

PS -- Sorry about the long rant, but it's something that's been bothering me for a while now whenever I think about questions like this poll. I've mentioned it here before, and really do mean to articulate more clearly about this in the future.

But if I'm getting frustrated, what are the chances of attracting new people who aren't as dedicated to the gun culture as we are.

Consider: I can take my $200+ bike and go nearly anywhere, anytime. For high-power rifle competition, figure on spending $800 for a rifle, $200 for a spotting scope, $100+ for a stand for said scope, $100 for a shooting jacket, plus ammo costs. And then I can only use them at actual competitions, since the club I compete at has a 10 year waiting list for membership, and I have another 9 years to go. (Not to mention that participating in competitions involve more waiting around than actually shooting, whereas something like biking involves actually bicycling).

Why would, or should, anyone invest the time and money into something that's such a hassle to do?

I think that more than anything Schumer, Feinstein, Kennedy, Kerry, Clinton, Brady, Brokaw, Rather, Jennings, etc. do, the lack of convenient and fun places to actually shoot is going to be to be the big nail in the coffin of our second amendment rights.

I find it odd that for a community that prides itself on being individuals, we engage in an activity that -- at many ranges -- requires us to do things in lockstep.
(poorly phrased for lack of being able to think of a better one this morning)

theCZ
September 5, 2004, 12:14 PM
I'm enough of a shooting nut that I appalled my friends last winter when I made it to the range by 7am on a sunday, a foot of snow, 0 degrees with a strong wind, just because I HAD to shoot that day, and I had a ton of studying to do and absolutely had to shoot! I love shooting enough to form a club at my college to get together with like minded people. I compete in IPSC and trap at the moment, and usually go through about 1,000 rounds of handloaded 9mm a month, and a few hundred 12ga rounds. I love experimenting and recording my rifle handload progress, I'm currently testing out my CZ-527 Varmint that was responsible for many ground squirrels this summer.

So, do I like shooting?....

HELL YEAH! :)

M2 Carbine
September 5, 2004, 12:24 PM
Mad Man,

The last time I went to a public (pay) range, because a friend wanted to go there, an employee told me I was shooting too fast.

I told my friend I'm all for safety but can't stand idiots.
I'll NEVER go to that type of range again.

I joined a club, because of their 300 yard range.
They have hundreds of members.

The rules are basically, shoot safe and no machine guns.

I don't like the second rule.:D

JeepMaker
September 5, 2004, 01:15 PM
Whenever possible, I just wish there were more ranges nearby. I'd particularly like to shoot at an outdoor range.

farscott
September 5, 2004, 05:52 PM
Like most on this board, I like to shoot. After a stressful week, nothing relaxes me more than to shoot a brick of .22 LR on the weekend. During this long holiday weekend, my wife and I have been to the range twice, and we are supposed to go tomorrow as well. We have already went through 1850 rounds this weekend, and I suspect we will shoot at least another 800 rounds tomorrow. This is all .22 LR, plus I will shoot my 100 rounds of .45 ACP for profiency with my carry pistol.

With round counts like these, shooting .22 LR is almost mandatory to avoid bankruptcy.

asa
September 5, 2004, 09:49 PM
I'm a retired phys. ed. teacher who collects Winchester .22's and Colt handguns which include 3 Pythons, 3 1911's, 4 Woodsmen, and several .38's. I shoot everything except two of the .22's which are mint and a couple of NIB SAA"S. A friend just up the road has a private range so I can shoot anytime and I'm there 4-5 times a week. I always take my xse combat commander and rotate through the .22's and the other handguns. It's a lot like the ritual of deer hunting: preparation, the actual shooting, and the resultant cleanup. I enjoy it all.

atek3
October 5, 2004, 04:41 PM
Yes and No. Do I like to go to the range to 'bust caps', not really. Punching paper, ehhh. Competition, however, I go nuts over. You name it, HP, 3gun, IPSC, I compete as often as I can. If I had more time and/or lived in a gunfriendly state, I'd immediatly add long-range, tactical rifle competition, IDPA, and mountain bike biathlon.
Oh, I like taking new shooters shooting too.

at3k3

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you actually like to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!