1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$200 tax stamp question...

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by SilentStalker, Jul 17, 2011.

  1. SilentStalker

    SilentStalker Well-Known Member

    Ok, guys/gals I am thinking of buying and Uzi, getting it shortened and threaded for some suppression action, just for fun. My question is, do you have to pay the $200 every year once you do the original tax stamp or is it a one time fee?
  2. Mac Attack

    Mac Attack Well-Known Member

    You pay a one time tax.
  3. Chopdoktor

    Chopdoktor Well-Known Member

    It's a one-time fee, unless you sell the gun, in which case the stamps have to be paid again. So to answer just your original question, it's only once that you have to shell out 200 Washingtons for Uncle Sam's spending pleasure.
  4. yongxingfreesty

    yongxingfreesty Well-Known Member

  5. SilentStalker

    SilentStalker Well-Known Member

    Awesome. That's what I thought I was just curious...thanks for the swift replies.
  6. GoingQuiet

    GoingQuiet Well-Known Member

    Tax is on transfer, not ownership.
  7. MtnCreek

    MtnCreek Well-Known Member

    One time tax, but you're looking at 2 tax stamps; one for an SBR (or registered MG) the other for the suppressor. If the suppressor is perm attached (welded, ...), then you could get away with one stamp.
  8. Mike1234567

    Mike1234567 member

    Cripes!! Don't give the BATFE any new ideas. :rolleyes:
  9. wally

    wally Well-Known Member

    Don't forget you need a second $200 stamp for the suppressor.
  10. Carl N. Brown

    Carl N. Brown Well-Known Member

    The SBR is an NFA firearm. $200 tax to make and register on a Form 1, $200 to transfer registration on a Form 4 if sold to a new owner who pays the tax.

    A silencer is technically called an NFA firearm by itself (Europeans think that's funny, especially from countries where silencers are considered legitimate accessories no more criminal than earmuffs). Ditto on the $200 tax.

    I would prefer a detachable silencer that could be used on other 9mm firearms rather than an integral unit. I have relatives who have legally papered silencers but don't think I'll go that way myself due to budget concerns.

Share This Page