1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

''A Man with No Name'' Colt 1851

Discussion in 'Blackpowder' started by Montenegrin, Aug 22, 2011.

  1. Montenegrin

    Montenegrin New Member

    Jul 4, 2011

    I was just thinking if anyone of you can tell me something more about this...
    About 4 years ago I was on holiday in Italy so one day I went to local Uberti dealer and saw their guns.I bought Colt 1851 model named ''A Man with No Name'' conversion (conversion model like one in the film The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly) ,and Colt 1851 London model.I shot 1851 london barely,but I shot that other conversion I bought a lot.I probably put 2000+ 38. special rounds through its barrel.Now I want to shoot it in blackpowder,because it's the most accurate of all guns I own.I think the barrel is relined to .358 due to accuracy,and it still has loading lever.
    So my question is : Will I need to shoot it with .350 balls if I buy blackpowder cylinder for it,if barrel is relined,or I can shoot it with normal .375 balls.
    I'm also posting picture of it I saw on internet,I will post picture of mine latter

    (BTW if someone is interested in this conversion,here's the link where u can buy : http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Conversions/ManNo NameConv.htm)


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. mykeal

    mykeal Mentor

    Sep 9, 2006
    A black powder .36 cal cylinder will have chambers that expect a .375 ball (or larger); they will be on the order of .370 to .373 in diameter. A .350 ball will not work in such a chamber, so you'll need the .375 ball. However, a ball swaged to .370 is too large for a .358 barrel. While the gun will probably shoot the larger round you will lose a great deal of velocity. I believe you will not be satisfied with the results. Your best bet is to get a cylinder with chambers sleeved to around .362 to .365 for .365 or larger round balls.
  3. Fingers McGee

    Fingers McGee Participating Member

    Apr 5, 2009
    High and dry at Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    The Man With No Name Conversion has a .357 barrel bore. You would have to do a major modification to the gun - if it were even possible - in order to shoot a C&B cylinder on the frame/barrel probably making it unuseable as a cartridge gun again. Frame, hammer, hand on the MWNN are all different than a C&B 1851 Navy.

    If you want to shoot the MWNN in BP, do like I do and shoot BP cartridge through it. 16 grains of fffg and a 140 to 158 gr BP lubed RN bullet work very well on the MWNN platform.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. CraigC
    • Contributing Member

    CraigC Elder

    Jan 27, 2006
    West Tennessee
    I would suggest leaving your cartridge conversion alone! It's not as if 1851 percussion guns are rare as hen's teeth.
  5. Old Fuff

    Old Fuff Senior Elder

    Dec 24, 2002
    The currently manufactured (so called) cartridge conversions are not intended to be backward convertable to a cap & ball. They designed and made to be used with metalic cartridges, period!

    Cap & Ball revolvers can be adapted to shoot metalic cartridges by switching cylinders, but because the bores are usually oversized for the bullet, decent accuracy is often a wishful hope.

    Hopefully this is clear... ;)

Share This Page