1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alien Firearms Permit - WA state

Discussion in 'Legal' started by artandscience, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. artandscience

    artandscience Member

    I suspect I may have a fair-sized problem. I'm a permanent resident alien and have just moved to WA state. I brought my guns with me, only to learn that I need to buy an "Alien Firearms License" here. No problem, I'm down with supporting the local constabulary.

    However, the state is no longer issuing them as the FBI has said that they will not report the results of a background check to an non-LE agency (like the Dept of Licensing here in WA).

    So, I cannot get a permit, but I still have my guns.

    Possession here without a permit is a felony.

    I cannot find any reference to a grandfather clause or something that would help me. I've recently passed background checks in other states and am otherwise law-abiding (and would like to stay so).

    Does anyone know of a provision that will cover my continued ownership or must I transfer them all to a family member who is an American citizen?

    And yes, before you ask, this has pushed me off the fence to file for my citizenship. But that process (post 9/11) can now take between six months and three years to be completed.

    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. MD_Willington

    MD_Willington Well-Known Member

  3. artandscience

    artandscience Member


    That will happen this week. Just to be safe.
  4. NavyLCDR

    NavyLCDR member

    Why does the person have to be 21 for handguns? Possession of handguns and private purchase of handguns is allowed in WA state at 18.
  5. MD_Willington

    MD_Willington Well-Known Member

    okay, 18 then...

Share This Page