1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AR lowers

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by viking499, Mar 10, 2012.

  1. viking499

    viking499 Well-Known Member

    Where/Who has a good price on AR lowers?

    What about Pistol lowers?
  2. Tex4426

    Tex4426 Well-Known Member

    Spikes tactical...about 90 plus shipping and transfer fees...better off finding one at a gun show..can get them as low as 60 if u don't have a brand preference
  3. TurtlePhish

    TurtlePhish Well-Known Member

    PSA has them on sale for $49 a lot.
  4. viking499

    viking499 Well-Known Member

    Are pistol and rifle lowers the same price or is one higher than the other?
  5. TurtlePhish

    TurtlePhish Well-Known Member

    They're the exact same thing with a different stamp on them; they should be the same price, pistol lower MAYBE being five or ten bucks more.
  6. tundraotto

    tundraotto Well-Known Member

    +1 what TurtlePhish said....
  7. awgrizzly

    awgrizzly Well-Known Member

    I checked with the local Gander Mountain and they can sell me Superior Arms lowers for $140, same price that they advertise. Does anyone know if the Superior Arms lowers are good quality? Will probably order PSA lowers (I want three) but will likely need to pay FFL transfer fees on each of them (sigh).
  8. madcratebuilder

    madcratebuilder Well-Known Member

    Lowers with the "pistol" marking are a scam. There is no legal requirement for the AR pistol to be marked "pistol". As long as the lower has never been configured as a rifle it can be made as a pistol. If initially built as a pistol, it can be later configured as a rifle then back to pistol.
  9. gotigers

    gotigers Well-Known Member

    madcratebuilder is spot on. Just get a rifle lower. Build it as a pistol first and your good. Been there done that.
  10. viking499

    viking499 Well-Known Member

    Is there any document you need to fill out that says it has never been built as a rifle or is it your word against whoever asks?
  11. Tex4426

    Tex4426 Well-Known Member

    140 is to much...wats it cost for a transfer fee were ur at...also see if he will combine transfer fees or cut u a deal on them
  12. briansmithwins

    briansmithwins Well-Known Member

    Don't forget to call around locally too. Even if the price is slightly higher you won't have to pay for shipping on the lower.

  13. Tirod

    Tirod Well-Known Member


    $59.00 as advertised. I haven't used one, there are many others who have posted they were satisfied with the quality. Add $15 to $25 for the FFL. Many will be happy to process it, some will be jerks because they won't make the extra $70 bucks gouging you for more profit. It's really easy to sort them out - just ask if you can have them process it and how much.

    Most of the forged lowers are done by about a dozen plants, they also machine them along with two dozen others, and the industry is focused on getting it right so any lower will take any parts. Miracle of the modern age, almost as good as auto parts. :)

    Forged lowers do have the benefit of an exclusive roll mark, which adds a lot to prestige, and nothing to durability or accuracy. Don't get too wrapped up in Brand - the bolt, barrel, and ammo are much more important.
  14. Olympus

    Olympus Well-Known Member

    Palmetto State Armory makes a very nice lower. Their complete uppers are also very high quality.

    I just bought a Surplus Ammo & Arms for $60 at my local shop for my first build. The shop sells out of them very quickly and I bought the last one they had left.
  15. laguna0seca

    laguna0seca Well-Known Member

    I have seen some at local dealers for $75. May not be a bad way to go since you don't have to deal with transferring and such. Check around.
  16. Cesiumsponge

    Cesiumsponge Well-Known Member

    Look around for cosmetic blemished units too, for additional discounts if it isn't a safe queen.
  17. jwsturr

    jwsturr Well-Known Member

    When filling out the paperwork there are 3 options, Handgun, long gun(rifle,shotgun), and other firearm(Frame,receiver,etc.). Make sure who ever does the transfer checks "other". You can't legally change a rifle from a manufacturer to a pistol or pistol into a rifle. It's all how the original firearm is registered.

Share This Page