1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AR15 A2 and collapsible buttstocks....spring & tube only thing important?.

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by Outlaws, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Outlaws

    Outlaws Well-Known Member

    I am just double checking, but the actual buttstock, be it an A2 or one of the various collapsible ones for carbines, are usable on any length barrel rifle as long as you use the proper spring. Do I need a separate buffer tube also?
  2. Jeff White

    Jeff White Moderator Staff Member

    There are only two receiver extension tubes, one for the fixed stock and one for the collapsible stock. The A2 stock, being 5/8 inch longer then the A1 stock, uses a longer screw and a spacer.

    You can't use a collapsible stock on a fixed stock receiver extension tube. The receiver extension tube is actually part of the collapsible stock assembly.

    If you want to go from a fixed stock to a collapsible stock, you will need a complete collapsible stock assembly, a new buffer and a new buffer spring.

  3. DMK

    DMK Well-Known Member

    For fixed stocks (A1, A2, Cav Arms, Sully stock), you can use the same fixed stock buffer tube and buffer for any of them. The A2 has a little spacer that goes in there.

    Collapsable stocks are different. Not only do they attach to the receiver with a locknut, but the tube itself is different for every type of stock (M4 type, old style two position, four position, etc). There are also differences with some being milspec, some not (different diameter tubes). Carbine stocks use a smaller lighter buffer. I run a heavier 9mm buffer on my carbines (weighs the same as a fixed stock buffer), but then again, I run Midlength gas systems so it's not as violent.

    I'm not sure if the springs are different.

    Now as far as barrel length, it doesn't matter. You can run a collapsible carbine stock on a 20" and a fixed stock on a carbine. No problems. I do like to get the heavier carbine buffers though, just to keep everything same-same.
  4. Outlaws

    Outlaws Well-Known Member

    Okay, well let me rephrase my question a bit...

    I want a RRA 20" NM upper, but as of right now, my lower is not Legal for high power competitions. So, rather than buying a RRA NM complete lower for $360, I just want to get the upper and shoot it with my lower for the time being using a CAA 6 position. Then in the future I will shell out for the RRA NM lower and take my current lower with the CAA and make it an actual tacticool carbine.

    So if I just buy the CAA with the assembly, can I just also buy a spring to make it usable with a full length upper for the time being? I just don't want to buy an A2 buttstock and assembly if I will be getting another complete lower with the A2 in the future.
  5. DMK

    DMK Well-Known Member

    You don't have to change anything. Slap your new 20" upper on your lower and you're good to go.

    I don't know a thing about Highpower rules, but functionally, you don't have a problem. Put the money away for your NM lower.

    (Aren't RRA NM uppers/lowers a match set though? I didn't know you could buy them seperately)
  6. Outlaws

    Outlaws Well-Known Member

    Weird. I thought that the shorter gas tube required a stronger spring for some reason, but I guess I misread. But yes, you can guy the NM upper and lower separately. The uppers parts are all matched to each other, and the lower parts are supposedly matched to each other, even though I think the lower isn't quite as "matched" as the upper. As far as I know there is no difference between buying both separate and buying the actual rifle...other than about $100 from the added tax for a complete rifle.
  7. aloharover

    aloharover Well-Known Member

    The only difference between what you have and the NM lower is the trigger and buttstock.
  8. Outlaws

    Outlaws Well-Known Member

    And that my lower is not legal in service rifle competition. ;)
  9. sully

    sully Well-Known Member

    Long action (buffer) springs go with long buffers, and short action (buffer) springs go with short buffers. Short buffers and short action (buffer) springs are supposed to be coupled with a short buffer/stock tubes (receiver extension) and long buffers and long action (buffer) springs are supposed to be coupled with long buffer/stock tubes. Do not try to put a long buffer and long action (buffer) spring into a short buffer/stock tubes (receiver extension) as it will not work. The common stocks that use a full length buffer/stock tube (receiver extension) are the A1 and A1, Vltor rifle stock, etc. The common stocks that use short buffer/tubes (receiver extensions) are CAR, M4, Vltor Car, Magpul CTR, Sully, and the stubby/entry stock.
    Don't mix short and long buffers and actions (buffer) springs, as you can effect the functional cyclic rate of the weapon which can cause malfunctions.

    Greg Sullivan "Sully"
  10. Outlaws

    Outlaws Well-Known Member

    I ordered a whole rifle from RRA. It will be a few weeks until it ships.

Share This Page