1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C&R Question

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by The Jackal, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. The Jackal

    The Jackal Well-Known Member

    If you have a C&R license can you buy guns online and have them sent to your residence?
  2. SmershAgent

    SmershAgent Well-Known Member

    Yes, assuming the gun in question is C&R eligible. The vendor will always require that they have a copy of your license on file before they do business with you. Generally, this involves photocopying your original license, signing the copy, and mailing it to the seller. Just make sure you don't sign the original, as each copy that you mail out has to be signed in ink. A photocopy of an already signed license won't suffice.
  3. MarkDido

    MarkDido Well-Known Member

    Good advice from Smersh.

    Also, send a copy of your C&R to Midway, Brownells and other third party merchendise dealers. You will usually get a discount.
  4. thatguy

    thatguy Well-Known Member

    Depends on where you live. California state law requires all handguns be transferred through a regular dealer FFL even if the handgun is C&R and being bought by a C&R license holder. Other states may have other, similar laws.

    For most people outside of CA, the answer is yes, a C&R holder may receive direct deliveries of C&R firearms. But keep in mind that pistols still must be sent common carrier since the USPS can only be used by one dealer sending to another and a C&R is a collector's license, not a dealer's license.
  5. If someone lives in CA, why on Earth would they get a C&R license if EVERY transfer has to go through an FFL? :confused: Just wondering...
  6. Noban

    Noban Well-Known Member

    TGR - It's only the C&R handguns that have to go through an FFL. Rifles are OK. However, if you buy a C&R rifle in the state of CA from an FFL dealer, you still have to go through the 10-day waiting period, unless you have a Certificate of Eligibility to go along with your C&R license.

    There, is that clear? :)
  7. Jim K

    Jim K Well-Known Member

    Thank Heaven few states are as bad as CA, but some states do not recognize a C&R category or the C&R FFL, and allow "import" of some or all (usually handguns) only by a dealer. Anyway, check state and local law before getting a C&R license so you will know just what you can and can't do.


Share This Page