1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CA Proof of Residency for Handgun Purchase question

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by Donut, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Donut

    Donut Well-Known Member

    I'm heading to the local shop tomorrow to look into transferring a handgun from another member here.

    As I read it in the HSC Study Guide, I need to show a Proof of Residency in the form of a utility bill at the same address as is on my CADL. I'm not the current homeowner (I live with my mom), so all the utilities are in her name.

    My Cingular phone bill doesn't have my address on it (you cut off that portion and return in with payment). What about my credit card bill or bank statement or auto insurance or Vehicle registration? Would any of those suffice?
  2. shootinstudent

    shootinstudent Well-Known Member

    Get a notarized letter from your mom swearing that you live at that address.

    Seriously...that works. Type out a statement, where your mom says something like "I [Donut's mom] swear that my son Donut resides at [your address]"

    As an added benefit, you can then tell people that California's so bad you need a note from your mom to buy a handgun :)
  3. Ala Dan

    Ala Dan Member in memoriam

    Or a vechile registration receipt, commonly called "a tag receipt". We have used handgun license, cable bill, payroll check stubs with the correct address,
    power or gas bills, even hunting/fishing license- so long as it wasn't sold by
    our business. ;) :D
  4. XeRoFuN

    XeRoFuN Active Member

    Taken from 2ndAmendmentSports.com:

    "Handgun Paperwork

    Required paperwork for California Residents with U.S. Citizenship status to purchase a HANDGUN:

    1. Photo Drivers license or photo Identification Card issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles, with current residential address printed on card
    2. **If, however, address is not current, client must provide a DMV printout of change of address, PLUS a federal or state approved proof of residency (see below).
    3. Copy of proof of residency that meets both Federal and State requirements, in the case of clients with no change of address on CDL/CID (see below)
    4. Copy of Handgun Safety Certificate (multiple choice test taken at time of purchase, if necessary), or HSC expemtion
    5. Clients who are not HSC exempt need a signed and completed Safe Handling Demonstration Affadavit (provided IN HOUSE by SAS State-Certified Safe Handling Demonstration Instructors)
    6. Copy of CPSD receipt if firearm does not come with a CA OK lock.

    Non U.S. Citizens are required to furnish the same paperwork listed above, but must also include:

    1. A 90 day proof of residency: 3 consecutive months of the same billing entity. First name and at least one surname must match ID
    2. INS issued ID card

    Acceptable Proof of Residency For DOJ


    Utility bill (IE: water, gas, or a LAND line telephone or cable bill)

    Property deed or certificate of title

    Government issued DOCUMENT (City, County, State or Federal) that has a specified expiration date or period of validity (IE: VALID vehicle registration, CCW , property tax bill. California Drivers License or California Identification Card will not work)

    A residential lease/rental agreement from a company which has government recognition on that company’s letterhead. The lease must be signed and dated by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary amount to occupy a residence

    A residential lease/rental agreement between two individuals which is notarized. This lease must be signed and dated by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary amount to occupy and abode

    1. All forms must have your name and current physical address
    2. All forms must be dated within 90 days
    3. All utilities must be “land based.�? NO CELLULAR PHONE BILLS
    4. All forms must be originals. No copies accepted
    5. All California peace officers are exempt from proof of residency

    Any variances to these will have to be authorized through the California Department of Justice by a Second Amendment Sports employee."
  5. shootinstudent

    shootinstudent Well-Known Member

  6. Donut

    Donut Well-Known Member

    So my current vehicle registration (July 2006-July 2007) should work? I happen to have the original sitting on my dining room table, waiting to be photocopied (for the glove box).

    Thanks guys! I can actually get to sleeep now without worrying about what hoops I was going to have to jump through.

    SNEAKS Well-Known Member

    Your current vehicle registration will do just fine. I have used mine every time I buy a hand gun.

Share This Page