1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cap and ball pistol - Kirst conversion to 38 in CA?

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Mictlanero, Nov 14, 2012.

  1. Mictlanero

    Mictlanero Well-Known Member

    Greetings - I live in California.

    Well i am getting a black powder revolver 1851 navy by Pietta for shooting and historical reasons.

    Down the line i would like to convert this to a 38lc by using a Kirst semi-drop-in gated cylinder where i have to have the loading port drilled out a bit to allow cartridges - for cowboy shooting

    This is not a problem in CA?
  2. Zoogster

    Zoogster Well-Known Member

    It is legal.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. Mictlanero

    Mictlanero Well-Known Member

    Thank you zoogster -

    Also, do i have to register with CA state or fed if the conversion cylinder is not permanently attached so i can also use it as a cap and ball revolver?
  4. firesky101

    firesky101 Well-Known Member

    I do not believe you need to add it to the handgun registry. I could be wrong as I have been many times in the past. Frank Ettin would know for sure, hopefully he will stumble by.
  5. Frank Ettin

    Frank Ettin Moderator

    I really don't know for sure. I've never really thought about it. I don't know whether or not I'll have a chance to do some research on the issue.

    In the meantime, I suggest that the OP register at the Calguns forum and ask there. Someone there may know.
  6. Neo-Luddite

    Neo-Luddite Well-Known Member

    If this obscure and historically interesting tiny little side street of an avenue turns out to be the making of a crime--even in Cali--we will all know where sanity finally 'jumped the shark'.

    Sounds like a cool sixgun.

    Regards -Mike B.
  7. Mictlanero

    Mictlanero Well-Known Member

    Hey thanks everyone - i will check out the site mentioned!

Share This Page