1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLEO signoff of NFA items in Jefferson Parish, LA?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by LSUfreak25, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. LSUfreak25

    LSUfreak25 Member

    Does anybody have any experience with getting a sing-off by the CLEO in Jefferson parish in Louisiana?? PLease help I am new here!!!
  2. BigFatKen

    BigFatKen Well-Known Member

    Good luck

    Do you want the CLEO to sign-off on something? Good luck.
  3. LSUfreak25

    LSUfreak25 Member

    Yes. I want to get the AAC Evolution 9 Silencer for my Beretta 92!! Thanks for the GL. I talked to a guy at ATF, and those people sound like they incourage the sales of Machine Guns and Supressors. He told me if I have any problems with the signoff to call him back and he would call the guy. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone already had this experience with the Sing-off as it is known as the hardest part.
  4. Incorporate, trust me... :)

    If you form a legal entity like a trust, corporation, LLC or foundation it can buy the NFA item without any need for CLEO sign-off. Another possible advantage, would be all corporate officers could then have possession I believe.
  5. Car Knocker

    Car Knocker Well-Known Member

    Any particular song you want him to sing? :D
  6. LSUfreak25

    LSUfreak25 Member

    How do you form a trust, Corporation or L.L.C. ???? and for post #5... What do you mean when you say what song do you want him to sing??? Sorry I don't see a reply to this qoute link anywhere??
  7. Henry Bowman

    Henry Bowman Senior Member

    The were referring to your typo "sing-off" in your original post. [Look, guys, don't make fun of the new guy. OK?]

    An attorney can help you form such an entity for a small fee. For an even smaller fee, Google Nevada Corporate Headquarters and they will help you for a total cost of about $500 - 700. The same entity can then be used for acquiring other NFA goodies in the future.
  8. Car Knocker

    Car Knocker Well-Known Member

    (Hangs head, scuffs foot) Sorry 'bout that. Just feeling exuberant today. :)
  9. LSUfreak25

    LSUfreak25 Member

    OK thanks guy's
  10. ARTiger

    ARTiger Well-Known Member

    What do you need a silencer for? No one around that part of Louisiana pays any attention to gunshots anyhow.:)

    Seriously, the sheriff of Jefferson Parish I believe is Harry Lee (Chinese-Cajun gentleman). Call him and ask maybe. He's very right wing and may just do it.
  11. wdlsguy

    wdlsguy Well-Known Member

    An attorney can set one up for you.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  12. Wiley

    Wiley Well-Known Member


    I'm in no way an expert but from other posts I think a CLEO can be the County Sheriff or the County Chief of Police or the City (Town, Village) Chief of Police.

    If one declines to sign off, try the next one. The ATF rules will be able to guide you.

    While setting up a Corp. or Trust may avoid sign offs, there are downsides, ie, annual registration fees, initial setup fees and the like. Talk to an expert before jumping in.
  13. Bubbles

    Bubbles Well-Known Member

    Try asking at subguns.com as someone there has probably BTDT and can tell you exactly what you need to do.
  14. LSUfreak25

    LSUfreak25 Member

    OK thanks people. I don't need a silencer, but I want one!! I have the money I figure hell why not try to get one. Also I found out last night that the Lawyer I work for knows the DA of Jefferson Parish and maybe I can get a sig from him!! Thanks for the help!!
  15. fordfan485

    fordfan485 Well-Known Member

    You could also do what one guy did in my county, get a court order writ of mandamus to make the CLEO do his job and sign the form.
  16. LSUfreak25

    LSUfreak25 Member

    How did he get a court order doing that??? His record must have been spotless or something?? So it is their job to sign it if you have no record. What I mean is, do they look at it as it is your right as a US citizen living in a state where it is legal and they have no means to tell you no, but do anyway, but by law they are supposed to approve it??
  17. 444

    444 Well-Known Member

    Another related question

    Have you talked to AAC about using the Evolution 9 on the Beretta ?
    The Evolution 9 suppressor has a booster on it. The Beretta has a fixed barrel. I believe that you need to eliminate the booster to use the Evo-9 on the Beretta. I have heard that AAC makes some kind of blank that eliminates the booster but I would like to hear the details on it.

    As far as the signoff is concerned, don't worry about it before you talk to the guy. He may very well have no problem with it at all. The first time I went in for a signoff I was really worried about it. The CLEO not only didn't care but thought it was cool and wanted to talk guns with me. In the county I live in now, they don't even talk to you about it. You turn in the paperwork and they call you when it is done. Point being: just call the guy and ask him, no sense in discussing it with us. People are making all kinds of suggestions of ways to get around the signature or how to force the signature without us even knowing if there is an issue. You might find out that this CLEO personally owns every suppressor made and thinks they are the coolest thing going. One of the problems with discussing NFA weapons on these internet forums is that people assume all kinds of negative things about them and most of the people discussing them have never really tried to own one. You may very well find out just how easy it can be. This of course doesn't apply everywhere but don't get excited before you try.
  18. Vitamin G

    Vitamin G Well-Known Member

    Quick question, somewhat related but there seem alot of knowledgeable people here already...

    If i live in one city, and get the CLEO signoff, and move to another part of the same state, do I have to re-register or do anything, or are the items officially "mine" no matter what part of the state i live in?
    What about moving states?
  19. Legion1776

    Legion1776 Well-Known Member

    "...If i live in one city, and get the CLEO signoff, and move to another part of the same state, do I have to re-register or do anything, or are the items officially "mine" no matter what part of the state i live in?
    What about moving states?.."

    No you do not have to reregister it. When it's yours - it's yours. As far as moving from another state -- there is a form to fill out. Just do it, send it to ATF. Doesn't cost anything but to drop it in the mail.
  20. 444

    444 Well-Known Member

    This is strictly heresay that I read on-line. I repeat, I do NOT know this to be true.
    But, I have read that there is no law requiring you to notify the ATF if you move (anywhere). As long as it is legal to own the NFA item where you live, that is all that matters. I have also read that ATF would LIKE you to notify them when you move (and I can't see any reason why you wouldn't) but, there is no legal requirement.

Share This Page