1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CMP Garand Buyers - Do you really need some

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by twinhairdryers, Oct 4, 2008.

  1. twinhairdryers

    twinhairdryers New Member

    Feb 7, 2006
    CMP Garand Buyers - Do you really need some sponsorship proof from some shooting academy or team to buy a Garand from CMP? If so, where do you get one? I searched my state and a bunch of high schools popped up. I'm a bit old to claim teaming with a group of highschool students. I would certaintly support any local group of shooters, but what is this rule about?

    Do you really need to call them to order and also fill out manual paperwork and send it back to them to order an old USG relic?

    Any suggestions on how to go about buying a Garand from these guys if you had to do it again? thanks much.
  2. Rio Laxas

    Rio Laxas Active Member

    Jun 20, 2007
    You can join the Texas State Rifle Association or I think there is also a garand collector's association that qualifies. I joined the TSRA and sent in a copy of my CWP, the order form and notarized statement, money order, and a few months later I got a garand at more doorstep. It really wasn't any more complicated then arranging most out of state purchases.
  3. TexasRifleman

    TexasRifleman Moderator Emeritus

    Feb 16, 2003
    Ft. Worth
    Yep, the paperwork is all required for the first purchase, no ways around it.

    If you don't want to mess with it you can just order one from garandguy.com and pay the extra few hundred dollars markup.

    Actually garandguy isn't bad to do business with, he always has honest descriptions of his stuff, you're just buying CMP rifles through him for the most part. I think he does inspect and lubricate before sending out.

    So, it's paperwork pain or more cash outlay.

    Choose your pain point :)
  4. Ringtail

    Ringtail New Member

    Sep 30, 2008
    The paperwork is really not all that hard to complete. One of the forms has to be signed in the presence of a notery public (is this the correct term ?). The cmp website lists shooting orginizations you can join online. It only took me part of one afternoon to get it done. I've spent more time trying to buy a shotgun at walmart. Once you're done your M1 shows up right at your door. cool!
  5. zoom6zoom

    zoom6zoom Senior Member

    Apr 24, 2006
    The hard part is waiting for it to arrive!
  6. dmftoy1

    dmftoy1 Senior Member

    Nov 17, 2003
    Lexington, IL
    It's really dead simple . ..go shoot a service rifle match (CMP Qualifying) . .there are tons of them everywhere . .it'll take you an afternoon or morning and you'll probably learn something about the Garand. You can print out all the paperwork from the CMP site, attach your score sheet and when you head to the post office to mail it stop at the bank first and have their notary "notarize" your signature. (for free at my bank) Mail it in and wait . . . . .much more simple than it seems.
  7. Threeband

    Threeband Member

    Dec 29, 2006
    You don't have to call them. You can print out the forms (including the form checklist) from their website and mail them in.

    One of the forms has to be notarized. Most banks will notarize (officially witness your signature) for free.

    You have to belong to an organization. I belong to my State Rifle and Pistol org., which counts, but I also joined the Garand Collectors Association. The GCA will inform the CMP of your membership if you check off the appropriate box on the GCA application. This makes it very convenient when filling out the CMP form: where it asks for club membership, you can write "GCA- see database" and the CMP can confirm your eligibility by computer.

    The markmanship/ shooting activity is totally seperate.

    You no longer have to do this.

    It used to be, in the days of the old DCM, you had to actually compete in an organized match to qualify. It is MUCH simpler now. You do NOT, repeat, do NOT have to compete in an organized match.

    Basically, they just want some documentation that you're a Gun Person, and that you have some basic familiarity with guns.

    They have a list of qualifying activities, such as being active (or former) military, having a concealed weapons permit, or even holding a Curio and Relics FFL. But a very easy and convenient way to qualify is at the bottom of the list, and it's what I did:

    I printed off that form, took it to the range, and asked the Range Officer to watch me shoot, and please sign off on the form if he was satisfied with my gun handling. I put the form on a clipboard with a pen, and left it on a table behind my position. Then I just set up my targets and did some shooting like usual, and 20 minutes later the RO got my attention to show me he was signing the form. It was that simple.

    Here are the forms and instructions:


    There are four pages:

    1-A Name and address, etc.

    2-A "I am not a bad person." Ask the nice person at the bank to please notarize it for you.

    3-A Order form, shipping and payment info. Choosing what to get might be the tough part. Check out the CMP forum for inside information. Note, many Service Grade Garands will have new birch replacement stocks.

    4-A Checklist. Yes, they want you to include it.

    And in my case, the form witnessed by the Range Officer.

    It is really so damn freaking simple. So just DO IT already.

    Get one of everything, and a couple thousand rounds of ammo for each.

    Frankly, I believe the good people at the CMP are trying to save these fine old rifles from Captain Crunch, by distributing them among the People, where they belong. Please help them.
  8. hksw

    hksw Senior Member

    Dec 25, 2002
    Garand Collectors Assoc. is the easiest and cheapest way (that I've seen). $25 or $35/yr, IIRC. Got one while at the North Store when I forgot to bring my membership card from an affiliated club.
  9. finfanatic

    finfanatic New Member

    Dec 22, 2007
    Got my CMP Garand last Friday

    Heck, I SNAIL MAILED my order for my Service Grade Springfield around 9-16-08, got an email that my order had been received on 9-24, saying normal time from getting the order to shipping was 30 days. Then on Thursday, 10-2, I got an email that my order had shipped! Fed Ex brought the rifle on Friday 10-3!!!

    It took longer to get the Card from the Garand Collector's Association than it did to order and receive the rifle. $25 a year and you get a nice magazine full of CMP and Garand info.

    I got a Springfield Armory Service Grade. Nice shiny bore, and it has a new Boyd's Birch Stock.


    I shot it today and am very pleased with it.
  10. dmftoy1

    dmftoy1 Senior Member

    Nov 17, 2003
    Lexington, IL

Share This Page