1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combat Grips

Discussion in 'Handguns: Revolvers' started by blaisenguns, Jun 11, 2010.

  1. blaisenguns

    blaisenguns Well-Known Member

    Ok, I have been looking at different grips for my Smith and Wesson 629, and it seems that every type of grip is reffered to as a "combat grip" on Ebay and gunbroker, so what exactly is a "combat grip"?
  2. CraigC

    CraigC Well-Known Member

    In this context, those with finger grooves. S&W's factory "combat grip" was of goncalo alves. Personally, I don't care for fingergrooves, at all. For your particular sixgun, the Ahrends "Retro Target" stock is pretty good for off the shelf. Herrett's Ropers are more comfortable.
  3. Tallinar

    Tallinar Well-Known Member

    I think you'll find that in most cases, the term combat grip is merely a marketing ploy. With that said though, I think some grips definitely make more sense in some situations than others.
  4. rcmodel

    rcmodel Member in memoriam

    In S&W parlance, "combat" grips are round butt, sometimes with finger grooves, sometimes with checkering, but often smooth.

    As opposed to Magna grips which follow the contour of the guns frame.

    Or Target grips, which are much larger and handfilling.

    You could make the argument that the old Magna & Target style grips have seen more actual combat then all the new fangled combat grips combined.

  5. Oro

    Oro Well-Known Member

    Pictured below are the two types of combat grips S&W put on the 629 before discontinuing wood grips in 1994. The dismounted pair are the "1st generation" combat grip made of goncalo alves and with a high finish, 1985 to c. 1987. The mounted pair are the 2nd generation ones. They have a slightly different contour, are made of morado wood, and a matte finish. They were used from 1988 to 1993 approximately.

    Another feature of combat grips is that they generally extend past the grip frame to allow a full grip with the hand. Grips cut flush with the grip frame bottom to aid in concealment are called boot grips. These are the only S&W "combat" grips made for the round butt N-frame I am aware of. Other makers can take license to name their own as they wish.

  6. Walkalong

    Walkalong Moderator


    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010

Share This Page