1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Wesson Bob Tail Problems

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing and Repairs' started by HRT, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. HRT

    HRT Well-Known Member

    :banghead: : Guys
    Please help me figure out what is going on with my Dan Wesson Bob Tail Commander with an external extractor. It suddenly has gone south many failures to extract.

    Yesterday I was trying some new ammunition 5.3 Gr of W231 underneath a 200 grain Precision "black Bullet" loaded to where approx .025-035" shoulder is showing over the case mouth. taper Crimp was to .469 or .470, as best I can read my vernier calipers. Completed 25% sample of loaded ammo in a case gage and all were sat. This is an identical load, except for the coated bullet to th H&G 68 200 grain load I have gone through thousands of. Changed bullet to try to reduce smoke on indoor range yet keep cost down.

    Well I set up my target at 50' and the first 4 rounds cut a ragged hole at the POA The pistol experienced a stoppage. Empty left in the chamber tried to feed another up behind. Stripped the mag cleared the chamber went back to shooting. Next round the same thing. so on through the rest of the 8 round power mag. enerally the empties just shook out of the chamber. Put the mag aside tried again with a fresh mag same old thing 3 or 4 rounds and then to the single shot pistol mode. Same with the third power mag. All three of these mags have been shot extensively with the pistol with no feeding or ejection problems at all for the past 1000 rounds or so.

    Ah says I the only new variable is the ammo so I pull out a box of the 200 gr H&Gs, loaded at the sime time the stuff I had shot with no problems on Thursday of last week, same old junk (has to edit for Art's Grammaw)Out of 6 mags got one to run through without a failure to extract. Took the pistol home removed the extractor cleaned the slot in the slide the spring seat pin and extractor. Cleaed the breach face, the barrel and chamber. Inspected the extractor against a new unused spare and found the removed extractor had a bevel on the bottom of the hook that angled up into the claw. Didn't look right so I replaced it with the new extractor spring and pin. Back to the range today. Tried some new 230 gr WWB same old junk, tried the coted bullet same old junk. Brass does not look ugly with torn up rims. When I bought the pistol a couple of years ago the first couple hundred rounds went flawlessly and then I experienced failure to extract problems. Sent the pistol back to DW for service, on my nickle, and they returned it new hammer, new extractor new sear. Now after a couple thousand rounds it is up to the same old junk. Thoughts? recommendations? If it was only happening on the last round a change to a dimpled follower ala Tuner might cure it ?
  2. Iron bottom

    Iron bottom Active Member

    If empties are being put back in the chamber, low power ammo may not be cycling the slide fully. Thumb on the slide?
  3. Azrael256

    Azrael256 Well-Known Member

    IME, weak loads that short-cycle usually stick on the breechface and ram into the fresh round going in, not the other way 'round. Sounds like a weak extractor spring to me.

    Btw, the bevel at the bottom of the extractor isn't a bad thing. It helps keep everything ejecting smoothly. You don't absolutely need it if the gun ejects cleanly, but if you start taking them in the forehead, or your cases are banged up, you'll need it.

    My SWAG is that the mag springs are shot and are allowing rounds to jump out and push feed which in turn tears up the extractor spring quickly. Lack of a dimple (or appropriately designed follower) and/or bad mag springs will eat the extractor alive in no time at all.
  4. HRT

    HRT Well-Known Member

    Latest Update-
    Billy at DW said give the extractor a little bend using a bench vice and hammer to bend the tail and increase the spring load. Did that and the extraction is more better like one FTE /mag. Back home again and looked and saw that removing a little off of the pad would increase extractor engagement of case. Took about .002" off of the pad and now the case tension is pretty close to that of one of my internal extractor pistols that runs well. Will give another try tomorrow.

Share This Page