1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enlarged firing pin hole in my revolver

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing and Repairs' started by Busyhands94, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. Busyhands94

    Busyhands94 New Member

    Howdy guys, I have a sweet old revolver with and enlarged firing pin hole. For the longest time I couldn't fine out what was wrong with her, lots of misfires and sometimes fails to index the cylinder because there's a primer protruding into the hole. When dry fired with no live ammo in it the cylinder turns just fine. Even with fired brass. The gun is an old .32 S&W breaktop, I like to use this ol' gal for plinking with BP ammo.
    Here's one of the fired casings with the swollen/boogered up primer:
    And the breech face/firing pin:

    She's a cutie. :)

    Bottom line is I'd like to figure out a way to repair this so I can keep shooting her. This gun is accurate and fun, locks up tight, looks good, not to mention useful for stuff that requires a light and quiet round. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
  2. dogrunner

    dogrunner New Member

    Mr. Busyhands, it appears the bushing on your revolver is just worn out. Those things are replacable and are usually driven out from the rear....they're sorta like a cup with a hole in the center. I's suggest you do some measuring of the diameter and call Brownell's........tech staff is great, shoulden't cost a great deal for the bushing, replacing it....well, I've followed your posts over the years and I'm sure you can do it.

    Bad part about leaving it in it's current cond. is that you sooner or later are gonna be having lock up issues when a primer flows back into that oversize hole.

    Installation is no big deal once you have the proper sized bushing....simply a matter of driving it straight into the hole from the gun muzzle. If push comes to shove and you simply can't find a proper or near replacement then I'd remove the existing one and re-machine another.

    Lookin' again at your photo's I'd also ask if the firing pin might be a replacement? Does it appear original? Usually on S&W's of that vintage the pin was integral with the hammer.......then too, are you sure the gun is a Smith........grips are wrong for one. ANyway, if it was mine I'd go ahead and restore the old gal........incidentally, I just gave a Nephew a 3rd model in .38S&W.......same rough vintage as yours.....darn thing shot well with some light smokeless loads & some cast bullets I cobbled up........thing was that it was his Granddads & I was just the interim caretaker..........had to replace the grips on that one tho......Dixie came in handy!
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. Jim K

    Jim K Active Member

    It looks like the firing pin bushing is removable, simply by driving it forward from the rear, but I would hesitate to recommend that without seeing the gun. If that is the case, having a new bushing made should be fairly easy, though it might cost more than you want to spend on that old revolver. FWIW, it appears to be a Thames revolver, marketed by Thayer, Robertson & Cary. They were probably made by Hopkins and Allen.

  4. Sun Tzu warrior

    Sun Tzu warrior New Member

    It's not a Smith&Wesson, this is...... The fireing pin on it ,is indeed ,an integral part of the hammer.

    Attached Files:

  5. Busyhands94

    Busyhands94 New Member

    Jim, it is an old Thayer Robertson and Cary. :) I'll take a closer look and see if the bushing is removable, if it is I could probably just make another one. Would mild steel work alright? This is only a .32 S&W short, we're only talkin' an 88 grain LRN at 600 FPS, these are by no means magnum loads! Maybe if that wouldn't work a drill rod cut to the proper length and drilled out would work.

  6. rcmodel

    rcmodel Member in memoriam

    Drill rod would be the thing to use.

    Even though the pressure of the cartridge is low, the pressure of the primer backing out of the primer pocket is not.

    Mild steel would suffer from primer peening in pretty short order.


Share This Page