1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFL - Serious Legal Question

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Punkermonkey, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. Punkermonkey

    Punkermonkey Member

    May 19, 2005
    IE, CA
    Can some one who knows please answer the following question?

    I am a California resident.

    If I where to get a Type 8 FFL (Importer of Firearms) and the Class 1 SOT (Importer of Firearms) would I then be allowed to import NFA weapons (including LE Only), either to transfer to a NFA dealer or to hold in inventory? Also, I know that I would not be allowed to transfer these weapons (specifically LE Only) to my personal inventory, but would I be allowed to shot them?
  2. Zrex

    Zrex Active Member

    May 28, 2004
    You need to get in touch with a good attorney and have them figure things out. It sounds like you want to live in California and play with machine guns, but you are trying to figure out how to get around the LEO demo letter thing if you were to become a Dealer, or the Zoning issues thing if you were to become a manufacturer.

    It would be cheaper and easier to move out of CA and just buy some transferrables.

    But, seriously, hire a decent attorney and let them figure it out for you. Don't call ATF or Customs or the State of California or your local zoning board. Half the time they don't know what the law is and will tell you the wrong thing.

    I have been given blatently incorrect information twice in the past 6 months. One time it involved making an AOW. The other time it involved making an out of state sale directly to a cop for official use with a department letter.
  3. shooter94

    shooter94 New Member

    Mar 2, 2005
    Southern Nevada, where Hairy Reed lives
    When I had my California FFL, the regs were you had to have current interest from a law enforcement agency to maintain your State NFA permit. Contact the State DOJ...and just dont talk to one person, talk to three.

    BARRETT New Member

    Jun 10, 2006
  5. Spreadfire Arms

    Spreadfire Arms Participating Member

    Feb 23, 2005
    since you are in CA you need to get with CA DOJ to secure the state permits as well as the federal permits. my guess is that is a very expensive and complicated business idea.

Share This Page