1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Private Handgun Purchase

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Corpral_Agarn, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. Corpral_Agarn

    Corpral_Agarn Well-Known Member

    Hello, THR!
    I am about to make my first Private Handgun Purchase in CA.
    The owner of the piece has agreed to meet me at a local gun shop (FFL) to perform the transfer.
    Is this the same as purchasing a Handgun from a gun shop?
    What do i need to bring? Does a current, valid CCW count for both proofs of residency as it took two proof of residency docs to get it?
    Transfers are supposed to be like $35 right?
    I am pretty sure I have to wait the standard 10 Days right?

    I just don't want to be blind sided by something I forgot to bring or didn't think about.
    Thanks all!
  2. Shadow 7D

    Shadow 7D Well-Known Member

    Try Calguns
    most here who may have one lived in cali, have chosen to rejoin the rest of the United States....
  3. mgkdrgn

    mgkdrgn Well-Known Member

    The one thing I do know is that there is no "standard" for an FFL transfer fee ... it's what ever the FFL wants to charge.

    You might want to check with the FFL you have in mind and maybe do some price shopping.
  4. NavyLCDR

    NavyLCDR member

    You have to remember, we are talking California here. California regulates EVERYTHING, including FFL fees, Penal Code 12082:



    What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?

    If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:
    For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
    For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.
  5. Corpral_Agarn

    Corpral_Agarn Well-Known Member

    Can Close the thread now...

    Hi ALL,
    I did a repost on Calguns.net and got the info i needed.
    thanks all who replied. Here is the jist:

    I (the buyer) needs:
    Driver's License
    Handgun Safety Certificate
    Money for Buyer
    $35 for transfer
    +-$10 for a Handgun Lock (gotta love CA) or get a free one from the Local PD.

    And thats pretty much it.

    again, thanks all for the replies!
  6. Twiki357

    Twiki357 Well-Known Member

    I may be mistaken but I think the FFL also has to collect sales tax on the amount of the transaction.
  7. David E

    David E Well-Known Member

    What gun are you buying?
  8. Frank Ettin

    Frank Ettin Moderator

    Basically it will involve all the formalities of buying a handgun from a dealer, except the Roster won't apply. I'm not sure whether a CCW will cover both proofs of residency. You should be able to find the information you need on the CalGuns Wiki.
  9. firesky101

    firesky101 Well-Known Member

    the free lock will not work. you either must have a safe, or buy a new lock from the dealer. they dont want you using the same lock to buy all your handguns after all.
  10. Librarian

    Librarian Well-Known Member

    We've got it at Calguns; the OP also posted there.

    For those who want the gory details, the wiki article is http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California

    But the summary:

    PPT - private party transfer - is a special California transaction mediated by a dealer, between an unlicensed seller and an unlicensed buyer. (California generally does not permit Face To Face without using a dealer.) It has a legally-specified fee of $35; the actual purchase funds most often seem to be transferred outside the dealer's shop.

    A handgun transferred PPT is exempt from the Roster, as Frank noted. That kind of transfer is also exempt from the 1-in-30-days handgun limit.

    It still requires proof of identity and proof of residency (often mistakenly referred to as 'second form of ID'), the Handgun Safety Certificate, a 10-day wait, a handgun safety/handling demonstration (unless the buyer is exempt from one or all of these three). It requires a lock/safety device.
  11. Corpral_Agarn

    Corpral_Agarn Well-Known Member

    <Quote> What gun are you buying? </Quote>

    Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm. The guys says it has less than 500 Rnds through it and he wants $550 for it.
    Sounds good to me! now i just need to inspect it to make sure it is what he says it is...
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. Corpral_Agarn

    Corpral_Agarn Well-Known Member

    It is the receipt for one that you need.
    If you get a free one and the PD writes you a receipt for that lock within 30 days the GS that i am going through says it will be fine.

Share This Page