1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

full auto in michigan

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by plunge, Jun 18, 2011.

  1. plunge

    plunge Well-Known Member

    how do i legally buy a full auto rifle in michigan? i really dont understnd what process i have to go thru. for example: if i found a full auto mp5 on gunbroker, how do i leagally obtain it? thanks
  2. Bubbles

    Bubbles Well-Known Member

    In MI an FFL is required to own a machine gun, looks like C&R is a no-go from the quick research I did.

    Basically, you have to be a dealer or manufacturer. Depending on where you live (zoning) and how much you want to be involved with running a business, moving out of state would probably be easier.
  3. Sam1911

    Sam1911 Moderator

    The easiest way is to go talk to your local SOT Class 3 dealer who will be happy to walk you through the steps. If the gun you've found is out of state, you'll need to transfer through a dealer anyway.

    If the gun is owned by a resident of Michigan, you can file the Form 4 yourself.

    Either way, you follow the steps on the form. You'll need your chief law enforcement officer to sign off on the form (or you'll need to form a trust to get around that requirement), you'll need to file some fingerprint cards, you'll need to pay your $200, and wait for your background check before you take possession.

    MI used to be a non-machine gun state, but that seems to have changed in December of 2005: http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10259.htm
  4. Trebor

    Trebor Well-Known Member

    Nope, that info is outdated.

    MG's are OK in Michigan on a Form 4. No C&R or 07 FFL required. Just the usual Federal paperwork.

    SBR's, SBS's, and Silencers are still verbotten though.
  5. Bubbles

    Bubbles Well-Known Member

    Kewl, looks like both the NRA and Mr. Bardwell need to update their MI state law info. :D
  6. USAF_Vet

    USAF_Vet Well-Known Member

    I knew suppressors were not allowed, but I though the SBR's and SBS's were ok along with FA.
  7. Unistat

    Unistat Well-Known Member

    Me too.

    NM. I looked it up and it seems that SBRs and SBSs are illegal.
  8. mboylan

    mboylan Well-Known Member

    Come up with $16,000 to $18,000 for a transferable. Dealer samples are for dealers only. Contact the seller. Most deals are 100% cash up front. Some are 50% up front and 50% four months later when the paperwork clears. Contact a SOT 3 FFL to do the transfer, he'll walk you through the process.
  9. sv51macross

    sv51macross Well-Known Member

    SBR/SBS are still illegal, but Michigan, like the Fed, define rifles and machine guns differently. A MG isn't defined as a rifle, so it cannot be classified as a SBR.

Share This Page