1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun Shipping Question

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by braeske, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. braeske

    braeske Member

    My uncle who died last year had several guns: 2 pistols and 3-4 long guns. He had left them in the care of my other uncle, who has agreed that I can have them. How do I get them from New Jersey to Missouri legally? Any shipping ideas? What is the law on this?

    Any advice or comments appreciated.

    - Chris
  2. dukeofurl

    dukeofurl Well-Known Member

    Well - the only way you can ship them is either Fedex or UPS.

    As far as the legalities of whether you can ship them to yourself is a different issue.

    Since NJ is the armpit of america, and outlawed hollowpoints - I'm unsure about if there's any gun registration or anything. Have you checked that out yet?
  3. clubsoda22

    clubsoda22 member

    wow, transferring between two crappy states for gun ownership...good luck to you.
  4. BowStreetRunner

    BowStreetRunner Well-Known Member

    MO is really not that bad......
  5. braeske

    braeske Member

    There have to be some FFL's out there that know the answer to this....


    - Chris :D
  6. No4Mk1

    No4Mk1 Well-Known Member

    Find a FFL on your end who is willing to accept and transfer them to you and then have your Uncle ship them to the FFL. You may have other state hurdles to jump through but I'm not familiar with MO or NJ law. Handguns must go by contract carrier, long guns can go USPS.

    Hopefully you can find a FFL willing to do this for a reasonable fee. Look on http://www.gunbroker.com or http://www.auctionarms.com for a listing of FFL's in your area.
  7. berettaman

    berettaman Well-Known Member

    Just have your uncle ship the guns to you via common carrier.No money is envolved,it's not a transaction,they're your guns and you want them.
  8. EOD Guy

    EOD Guy Well-Known Member

    That has absolutely nothing to do with it. The law is concerned with possession, not ownership or the exchange of funds.

    On the other hand, there are legal exceptions to the requirement for an FFL holder to be involved. If the firearms are a bequest from an estate, they can be shipped to you directly. [See 27CFR Section 178.30(a)] I'm not sure this would be the case if the uncle that died did not specifically leave the firearms to you. If not, they would have to be shipped to an FFL for transfer to you.

    State laws may also have an effect on the transfer.
  9. Redlg155

    Redlg155 Well-Known Member

    Technically your other uncle has legal ownership of the weapons. Your statement and the length of time between the uncle agreeing to let you have the weapons would also indicate he has legal ownership of the weapons. So unless it was an instate private sale you would have to get an FFL involved. (NJ may be different, but most NORMAL states allow this. :D)

    If you decided to get the guns shipped to you then you are looking at close to $250 in shipping and FFL fees. Most dealers typically charge $30 and up for a weapons transfer. Looking around can save you a bit, but I wouldn't expect much under $25.00. Then look at $10. shipping for each rifle. $30. for the handguns since they must be shipped overnight. You can stick both in the same package to save money.

    What I would do is take that $250 and use it for trip money to visit the uncle. You get to visit and spend time with family. You also get some weapons without "papers" . In this day and time it would be good for everyone to own a few guns without "papers".;)

    Good Shooting

Share This Page