1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gun terms, where do they come from?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by breakingcontact, Nov 11, 2012.

  1. JERRY

    JERRY Well-Known Member

    booger hooks and bang switches are the arm chair jargons i hear the most.
  2. Warp

    Warp Well-Known Member

    With friends like this, who needs enemies?

    Use a term somebody doesn't like...boom, you're an arm chair commando. Use a word that's too "fancy", like the word purchased...you're just trying to sound smart.

  3. cfullgraf

    cfullgraf Well-Known Member

    If I had to guess, guns used clips before detachable magazines.

    Hence, the term clip almost has become generic for "device holding ammunition for inserting into a firearm".

    Switching gears, I also like "lock, stock, and barrel".
  4. JERRY

    JERRY Well-Known Member

    yeah, we must stay in the middle as to not sound neanderthal nor poindexter.
  5. allaroundhunter

    allaroundhunter Well-Known Member

    What is wrong with the word "indexing"? It is an easily understood and taught part of firearm safety, and making one word to describe it is a whole lot easier than having to say "Put your index finger along the frame above the trigger guard" every time someone has their booger hooker near the boom switch when it shouldn't be.
  6. Nushif

    Nushif Well-Known Member

    Funny how you assume value judgement.

    There are people on this earth (I kid you not) who can discuss something without assigning a value judgement.

    Yes, someone using purchase in written form and buy in spoken word is stilting their language. There's nothing wrong with it, since writing is a bit more of a deliberate act, but it is true.
  7. breakingcontact

    breakingcontact Well-Known Member

    I like booger hook and bang switch because that's what the drill sergeants would use and they were hilarious...in their own special mean way.
  8. 1911fan

    1911fan Well-Known Member

    Slang evolves just like its parent language, frequently right alongside.

    Novelist Ramond Chandler (think Bogart as Phil Marlowe in The Big Sleep) being British, didn't know any American slang so he invented his own.

    What frosts MY coconuts is the patois used in most local sportscasts :fire:, but that's another post.

    Use what you're comfortable with, ask if you don't understand something.



    The term "trunk" comes from the fact that early automobiles literally had a trunk attached neat the back bumper. A similiar space on stagecoaches was refered to as the "boot", a term out British cousins still use for the storage space at the rear of an auto.

  9. Schofield3

    Schofield3 Well-Known Member

    Thank you Warp, man that bugs the hell outta me when all you hear is clips this and clip that, definitely a pet peeve of mine.

    It's a magazine!
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. holdencm9

    holdencm9 Well-Known Member

    Index: "Something that serves to guide, point out, or otherwise facilitate reference"


    AKA why it is called a pointer finger as well as index finger. I don't think "indexing" is such a stretch. It makes short work of a describing how to keep your finger out of the trigger guard.

    The "purchase" the OP was asking is not the "purchase" versus "buy" but I think that was acknowledged. In any case, I don't think you are a wise guy, arm-chair commando, or language nerd to use either term in either instance. I like "purchase" though because when describing how good of a grip you can get on a grip, one grip being better because the texture is more grippy, I'll be like, get a grip! Use better words!

    Much better to say "Can obtain much better purchase on this grip due to the more textured material."
  11. 9mmepiphany

    9mmepiphany Moderator

    It sounds like you might have the meaning, or intent, confused in the usage...at least, as you have used it above.

    Index isn't used in place of the verb to place...as in "gives you a place to put your finger.

    To index refers to the tactile feedback you receive when correctly locating the finger on the gun
  12. Warp

    Warp Well-Known Member

    This exactly. For example, on my pistols I index my finger along the edge of the frame. I can feel that my finger is where I want it by feeling the rounded edge (Glocks) at the bottom/side of the frame.

    On my AR I index my finger with the bottom edge of the mag release.

    Having something to index makes it repeatable and consistent. I also have indexing points for acquiring the same cheek weld and sight alignment on rifles
  13. holdencm9

    holdencm9 Well-Known Member

    Good point. Kind of like the little bump on your "F" and "J" keys.
  14. Warp

    Warp Well-Known Member

  15. TrueTexan

    TrueTexan Well-Known Member

    Well what gets me is when I'm told I have a revolver and not a pistol. A revolver is a pistol just as much as my 1911. Also is it a weapon or a gun? I vividly remember an army Sargent chewing my butt out in ROTC when I called my M1 a gun. Remember "this is my weapon this is my gun. This is for killing, this is for fun. Pointing at your rifle and then the nether regions. :)
  16. Warp

    Warp Well-Known Member

    There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way.

    I still have no clue why they don't want you to call your gun a gun.

    And I do not consider a revolver to be a pistol...but I would never call anybody on that.
  17. breakingcontact

    breakingcontact Well-Known Member

    You can call your revolver a pistol and your M16 a rifle.
  18. 9mmepiphany

    9mmepiphany Moderator

    While technically true, it goes back to the original words used for the different types of handguns.

    Revolver is a contracted form of Revolving pistol.

    Pistol is the contracted form of Semi-automatic pistol. Calling it an automatic would be confusing, because we use that term as a contracted form of Full/Fully Automatic or Select Fire gun. Calling is a semi-auto was popular for a time, but is still long, plus it is a term that is more commonly used for rifles.

    It is the same as using the designation of AK-47, which is commonly used in place of Semi-Automatic clone/version/modification of the AK-47
  19. Haxby

    Haxby Well-Known Member

    Raymond Chandler wasn't British.
  20. threefortyduster

    threefortyduster Well-Known Member

    I nearly never call a gun/firearm a weapon. To me, until it's used as a weapon, its a firearm or gun. I have not had to use my guns as a weapon (nothing has ever attacked me, but I have hunted), so to me, they're just firearms. It also seems to take a lot of the evil out of guns when I talk to someone who's not pro-gun or slightly anti if I refer to it as a firearm. It seems that if you run around calling it a weapon, and people think it's purely for attacks.

    Sometimes you can really change the tone of an argument or conversation just by using a slightly different, albeit correct, term. Firearm sounds much nicer than weapon, no?

Share This Page