1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun Trust Help

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Praxidike, Aug 27, 2013.

  1. Praxidike

    Praxidike Well-Known Member

    I've already searched, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. Can anyone point me to a detailed step by step tutorial on what needs to be done?

    Also, I already have a lawyer who is part of a general practice firm, so they do wills, prenuptials, divorces, etc. I know that I would have to ask them, but I would like you guys opinion on using a general practice lawyer and whether or not they should be good enough...
  2. Outlaw Man

    Outlaw Man Well-Known Member

    I have spoken, on a few occasions, with a lawyer who does estate planning and end-of-life type documents who just happens to be a gun nut (even has a C&R). I haven't gone down that road yet, but I probably will, soon, and will likely use this guy. I think there is some merit to having someone who is familiar with the firearm laws and has done gun trusts in the past. Not to say a general practice lawyer can't do it. He or she may just have to do more research.

    I think even using a general practice lawyer is definitely a better route than one of those generic/online forms. They can really tailor it to your specific needs.

    As to the steps, I'll let someone who's actually done it outline those.
  3. Bartholomew Roberts

    Bartholomew Roberts Moderator Emeritus

    Have you read this thread in the NFA forums yet?


    As far as what needs to be done just:

    1. Form and fund your trust according to state law
    2. Find the NFA item you want to buy
    3. Buy it as trustee for the trust
    4. Fill out paperwork (Form 5320.4 or Form 5320.1) and attach $200 check
    5. Wait the rest of your natural life for ATF to get around to checking it
  4. Praxidike

    Praxidike Well-Known Member

    Thanks "Outlaw Man" and "Bartholomew Roberts" for the advice and info. No Bartholomew, I never noticed the NFA forums, but thanks for point that out to me.
  5. medalguy

    medalguy Well-Known Member

    Find an attorney well versed in NFA regulations. There are a lot of special things that really should be included in an NFA trust that a non-knowledgable attorney might miss. Then do just as Bartholomew Roberts suggested.

    351 WINCHESTER Well-Known Member

    If I want to leave all my guns to my kids can I just will them to them?

Share This Page