1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handgun Ownership Transfer - Family: Michigan

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Mund1, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Mund1

    Mund1 New Member

    Apr 3, 2008
    My elderly father and I both reside in Macomb County - Michigan (seperate locations, not the same residence).

    My elderly father has decided to give me a couple of his handguns ( 2 old Smith Wesson revolvers). He does have the original safety inspection cards for both of them.

    My father is simply handing them down to me... call it an inheritence I guess. There are no funds being transfered, not being sold to me....

    I have another handgun purchased 20 years ago that is registered in Macomb County.

    I do NOT have a CCW and am NOT a licensed gun dealer (FFL Holder).

    My question is.... residing in Macomb County - Michigan, what do I need to do to make this transpire legally?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Bubbles

    Bubbles Senior Member

    Apr 26, 2004
    Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
    Michigan Gun Laws

    To me it looks like Michigan has some screwy laws wrt handguns, so a local dealer may be able to help get you through the process. An attorney could also do it, but the dealer would probably charge less.
  3. AirForceShooter

    AirForceShooter Senior Member

    Oct 31, 2004
    Central Florida
    enjoy the guns
    Shoot often and think of him.

  4. Fisherman_48768

    Fisherman_48768 Member

    Sep 17, 2004
    Thumb of Mich.
    Either take the guns and paperwork with your father to the PD/SD that you live in and fill out the purchase paperwork then do the transfer. They may charge you a notary fee of not more than $10.00 but they cannot charge you for anything else. You can always take the paperwork else where for notary service and bring it back thus deny the $$, other notaries are usually cheaper too.
  5. Sergeant Sabre

    Sergeant Sabre Participating Member

    Aug 15, 2004
    To purchase a handgun in Michigan one must have a purchase permit from your local police agency, usually the Sheriff. To get one, simply go to the agency and ask for one. They will have you complete a small amount of paperwork, do a quick records check, and issue you the permit. One permit is good for one handgun. You need as many permits as handguns you intend to buy.

    The permit comes as three perforated copies attached to each other. You need to take the permit to the seller and have them fill out the seller's portion. After everything is filled out you sign, they sign, and you're off. If I remember correctly (been a while since I used a permit) the seller keeps one copy and you take the other two back to the police.

    After the sale you have 10 days to return to the police with the two copies of the permit and the handgun. They will do a "safety inspection" in which they record the serial number, and you're done.

    The best way to do this is for both of you to go down to the police / Sheriff with the handgun(s) and take care of it all right there in one big step.
  6. Trebor

    Trebor Senior Member

    Feb 15, 2003
    To determine where you should get your purchase permit call your local police department. In most cases, if you have a local PD, the will issue the permits. The Sheriff generally only issues the purchase permits in areas where there is no local PD. The Sheriff's Dept also will NOT issue a purchase permit if you do have a local PD that does so.

    So, call your local PD to see if they issue the purchase permit and check to see if they have any restrictions on days or hours they are open for purchase permits/registration. They are supposed to be open for this during normal business hours, but some PD's do have certain hours only.

    Then get the purchase permit, fill it out, and then return within 10 days with the pistol and completed purchase permit. They'll do the safety inspection and the gun is now in your name.

    It's a pain in the ass, but it is the law, unfortunately.
  7. Nickotym

    Nickotym Active Member

    Jul 30, 2003
    That is sad. I feel for you guys who live in states that require hoop jumping to own guns. Hopefully the "free states" of America never deteriorate to this.
  8. Trebor

    Trebor Senior Member

    Feb 15, 2003
    What's more important is what city or township you live in that what county.

    Does your city or township have it's on police departmet? If they do, call them and see if they do the purchase permits and safety inspection. You want the PD for where you live, btw, not where your dad is.

    If they don't, then yes, you'd go to the Macomb County Sheriff Department.
  9. TEDDY

    TEDDY Active Member

    Jan 2, 2007
    what a crock

    how old are the guns bought before 1968?are they registered?if not take them and be happy.find out what the actual law says.dont ask the police. not all police have full knowledge of the gun laws.most states allow transfers between family.[gifts].being extra legal as some suggest is not always the answer.especialy if you dont have to jump thru the hoops.:uhoh:--:rolleyes:

Share This Page