1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helping a Englishman with questions?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by 42, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. 42

    42 member

    I am a student with an interest in firearms who was directed here from a forum discussing a US miniatures game within which the topic of firearms came up on the off topic board. I have an interestin in shooting and have some questions if it is possible that thhe community of the highroad could answer them.

    II have limited experience with frearm, I have sghot air rifles and enjoy it and am a reasonable shot, I have fired a shotgun once and enjoy plinking (is that the term?) with airsoft guns at targets.

    I am resident in a country where airsoft is licensed and if I am carrying my modelling tools through the city from hobby area to hore can be arrested on a weapons charge if found in possesion of a modelling scalpel outside a locked steel box. :banghead::cuss: So attitudes in this green and Pleasant land I disagree with.

    I am 18 and here are my questions.

    1. is it legal for me to rent a firearm to use at a range?

    2. is it legal for me to be at a range?

    3. is it possible to obtain a ccw or chp when in the USA for a year?

    4. could I get instruction from a training scheme on shooting?

    5. is it possible to go through a training scheme with hired frearms?

    6. are there any rules and reguations to follow as a disabled shooter?

    I wish to learn to shoot handguns revolvers rifles scoped rifles shotguns as I feel it would be enjoyable nd a usefll skill and part of me wants to emulate my father who served in the R.A.F and qualified as a marksman (If I recall correctly that consisted of long range shooting a standard issue SLR and gaining a 1 inch spread at 1000 yards with ten rounds but I could be wrong. he does not talk much about that. but though doesnt particularly desire firearms support my desire to learn to shoot.) in the only way I can due to the disablity rendering my not eligable for military service.

    And of course I would like to fire a full auto weapon once.

    If it helps I am a cinncinati bengals fan, quite enjoy bourbon have an unhealthy desire to own a muscle car and enjoy rock and roll. :cool:

    After university I hope to travel all over the US for a year and then mabe apply to live there. I will make to

    Thank you for your time everybhe trip over to the jungle before then though. And am am currently in a long distance relationship with a girl from georgia I eagerly await your responses. Thank you for your time.

    With the greatest respect. 42
  2. TAB

    TAB Well-Known Member

    1 yes
    2 yes
    3 I doubt it.
    4 depends on who is doing the training... some are very restrictive, most are not
    5 depends on who is doing the training
    6 nope safety rules apply to every one equal.
  3. xjchief

    xjchief Well-Known Member

    I have a question of my own... Wouldn't it be unhealthy to NOT have a desire to own a muscle car? ;)

    Welcome and I hope someone can answer your questions.
  4. TAB

    TAB Well-Known Member

    depends on who is buying the gas...
  5. 42

    42 member

    thanks guys for not snapping at me. Ands probably but I would get stoned by the ecomentalists If I drove a muscle car. Theere is a bill to ban 4x4s (suvs) in the citys and we pay for the privelee of driving in our capitol city. (well I don't. biker)

    Thank you and I have been offered people to shoot with on the other forum so I will have to take them up on that I think :cool:
  6. rocinante

    rocinante Well-Known Member

    Doing that could you get qualified as GOD not just marksman.

    Like your attitude kid, come on over. If you do get to georgia (atlanta) drop me a line and I will take you shooting.
  7. 42

    42 member

    If you want I will ask my dad precisely what range he shot at and I do know when base was on alert He sat in a tree with a scoped SLR :what: and could basically snipe with it. And thank you it could be a while though.
  8. FieroCDSP

    FieroCDSP Well-Known Member


    First, Welcome to THR, the best darn firearms site on the web.

    This one is tricky only because you're 18. Most states have a mandated age of 21 to buy/possess a handgun. However, a range owns the rental gun, so they may decide to rent it to you. Most ranges have their specific rules posted, but you don't know until you get there. The best idea is to go with someone who is 21 and owns their own handgun. If they're there shooting their own, and rent one also, who's going to care if you're the one shooting the rental. They might rent you a carbine, rifle, or shotgun as those can be sold or rented to 18 and up. I've also never known a gun-shop/range to pass up on legit cash just because someone is 18 instead of 21.


    Not sure on the specifics, but I think you have to be a legal citizen. Vermont and Alaska might not worry about it, so long as you can legally buy and possess the gun. Every other state has varying laws ranging from outright ban, state control, local control, to Vermont.

    There are courses for every type of firearms usage. You can easily find an NRA certified instructor near to where you reside in the states. Many will have a gun they can loan you for the basic classes. Advance courses will almost always require you to have your own.

    This depends on the disability. Being certified insane would be something that might concern most people. If it's a physical disability, there's really no reason you couldn't shoot. We had one guy shooting USPSA in our local match who was minus a leg. If you have the heart to do so, there's not much that can keep you from it. If you're in a wheel-chair you might want to inquire as to a range's access, but under federal laws, most places have to have wheel-chair access. Without knowing the actual disability, it's difficult to say.

    Full-autos are a bit harder to come by, I'm afraid. You almost have to know someone to even set eyes on them, let alone a range to fire them on. Out west is probably a better chance of finding a place that deals in renting one. Take a lot of cash. You'll need it to buy the ammo.

    I hope this bit of info helps, and I wish you the best in your efforts to join us here in the land of the free, home of the brave, and umpteen million privately owned guns.:D
  9. 42

    42 member

    Cerebral Palsy I walk with a cane and/or crutches.

    I understand about the full auto but it would just be one magazine (is that the right word) and thank you I read jobrelatedstuff.com because it was funny once!!!! and I like olegs posters.

    To be honest I will go properly after uni so will be 21 but want to go for a week or two in the next year or 2.
  10. oneshooter

    oneshooter Well-Known Member

    If you ever make to Texas look me up. I will get you a place on a team that will shoot everything from Highpower to CASS to BPCR!! We also have some great places to visit, namely the USS Texas and the San Jacinto battleground to the Alamo and the San Antonio missions!
    I know of two gun ranges that rent full auto, and a friend of mine has his own tank.
    Livin in Texas
  11. Vern Humphrey

    Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member


    You have to be 21 and a resident of the United States.

    Florida non-resident licenses are popular. Here are the requirements:
    The rules are the same for everyone, although you might find yourself with some extra coaching until they are sure of your ability to handle firearms safely.
  12. retgarr

    retgarr Well-Known Member

    42 eh? So are you searching for an answer or a question?

    I'd recomend that you check out study abroad programs, student visas will give you a better chance of being able to shoot than just visiting.

    In terms of your disability there are no regulations against you shooting. However you will want to go with an experienced shooter to help you out. Since you have shot air rifles and a shotgun I am guessing your disability is not so much a hindrance as to prevent you from using firearms.So when you know when you'll be here, find someone on the board near where you'll be and I'm sure you can get some range time in.
  13. 42

    42 member

    both and thank you everyone and for those interested the cadet qualification on the new sa80 is:

    RAF Marksman- This is much harder and is taken using the more powerful L-98 rifle. You must complete three sections:
    1.) You must fire 20 rounds into the target, all bullets must hit the target, there is not time limit.
    2.) You must fire 10 rounds of snap fire, the targets are not visible for the entire time, but appear five times for 8 seconds at irregular intervals (at a range of 25 meters). All bullets fired must hit the target.
    3.) You fire five rounds into a target from 25 meters, all of which must hit an area of 2" inch diameter.

    If you qualify for the RAF Marksman, you will be awarded this badge to wear on your uniform.

    Cadet 100 - This is an accuracy award, and can be fired from up to 300m. If you gain this award, then you are officially one of the best 100 shots in the Air Training Corps!

    soimagine that for an adult not a 12-17 year old. I will get exact info soon. Thanks for all your help and advice.
  14. raytracer

    raytracer Well-Known Member

    42, Welcome to the High Road!

    If you end up in the Kansas City area, I can guarantee you'll get to do everything on your list except the Concealed Weapons Permit. Range time, training, full auto, the whole ball of wax. Plus real barbecue!

    The hard part will be getting you back on the plane to go home! Of course, you're welcome to stay too.

  15. 42

    42 member

    cool so an english graduate wanting to teach would be accepted?
  16. Jim Watson

    Jim Watson Well-Known Member

    Traveling on your own at age 18, you would be limited as to what shooting you could do.
    Hang on til 21 and things will be much simpler.
    If your girl in Georgia is still interested, there is a rental range in Athens, Georgia that has full auto weapons as well as the usual handguns.

    Stay here as long as possible.
    I have read that the usual time for a Japanese shooting tourist to make the transition from Airsoft to firearm and then to enter a major match is six weeks.
  17. rero360

    rero360 Well-Known Member

    absolutely, while there may be varying opinions on illegal aliens in the country I'm sure just about everyone here openly welcomes legal immigrants looking to become American citizens, especially gunnies, the more the merrier.
  18. 42

    42 member

    fantastic and becoming? or do i have to posses to be a gunnie? and cool I want to leave the land of the rain and chav so USA USA lol and I mightb try for a semester in the usa at uni.
  19. Frans4045

    Frans4045 New Member

    3. is it possible to obtain a ccw or chp when in the USA for a year?

    I am sort of dealing with this question. I'm a Dutch citizen and live in Eugene Oregon.
    Rule here is that you can have a CCW after you do a class in gun handling.
    In my case I have to show a letter that serves as prove that I am requesting US Citizen ship.

    The question here is, what if the non-US citizen does not follow through with the application for US Citizen ship, but the local sherrif has legally issued a CCW permit.

    I mean, it can happen. The applicant gets second thoughts, does not want to lose citizen ship of his mother land for whatever reason.
    The permit has been issued based on a real legit letter.
    What's more, the permit will be extended after 4 years and I don't know that the permit holder needs to prove that he/she is a US citizen at that moment.

    (I have not gone that road, I have NO CCW permit)

  20. WIFF

    WIFF Active Member

    I am English, but a permanent resident and had no trouble getting my c.c.w permit. Good old Indiana....

Share This Page