1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I sell a gun in a "private sale" (in CT)?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by MyRoad, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. MyRoad

    MyRoad Well-Known Member

    I have some beautiful guns that I simply don't appreciate, and I'm thinking about trying to find good homes for them. Selling them through local gun stores means losing a lot of money, so I think I'd like to take a crack at selling them myself.

    How does a person go about selling privately? Do the laws vary from state to state? I've read posts where the topic was about "what if the government required registering guns", and some people will always add that "that's why I always keep a few I've bought in private sales" - as if there are states in which you can buy a gun without contacting an FFL?(!)

    If it's local, can a single FFL enact the transaction? If it's across state lines, does it go FFL to FFL, and is there anything to look out for there? I noticed that in the 'for sale' section of THR lot's of folks only want to sell locally, why is that?

    Thanks for the help -- and future happy owners of my guns thank you too! :)
  2. AZgunstudent

    AZgunstudent Well-Known Member


    I had the unfortunate experience of living in CT until summer 2003 (now I am in Arizona). Unless the law has changed, there is no paperwork requirement at all for transfer of long guns, assuming they aren't the dreaded "assault weapons" covered by Connecticut's by-name list of banned firearms. Of course, the Department of Public Safety "encourages" you to report the transfer :rolleyes: . I bought several rifles this way when I lived there. And, no, none of them were reported, despite DPS "encouragement."

    As I recall, handguns can be transferred privately also, but only if the buyer has a CT Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. Also, the seller must obtain a "sales authorization number" or somesuch from DPS. This is obtained by calling the DPS firearms unit, and of course you will be on hold for at least an hour. There's also a form, downloadable from the DPS web site, that needs to be filled out in quadruplicate. One copy each goes to: the seller, the buyer, DPS, and the local police. I bought a CZ pistol in this fashion shortly before I left the state.

    Thus, no FFL is needed for in-state transfer of a legal firearm (except, again, "assault weapons" and obviously Class III) in CT. You should check out the CT DPS web site. I don't have the URL handy, unfortunately, but a quick trip to a search engine should turn it up for you. Also keep in mind that I am not an attorney or a DPS employee. Make sure you double-check this info for accuracy before you start selling.

    Hope this helps.

  3. MyRoad

    MyRoad Well-Known Member

    AZgunstudent, thanks for the information. I found the DPS site and your memory is very accurate (http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/FirearmsPrivateSale.htm).

    I thought that you needed to use an FFL, so this is good information. I'll check out the forms, and then see how it goes.

    Thanks again! :)

Share This Page