1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much trouble would I been in if I got the overall length wrong on a Form 1?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by CmdrSlander, Jan 31, 2013.

  1. CmdrSlander

    CmdrSlander Participating Member

    Jun 28, 2011
    Disputed Western Missouri
    I had to guess as the firearm has not been, and cannot be fully assembled until I get a tax stamp. My AR SBR is going to be a 12" barreled rifle so I just subtracted 4" from the overall length of one my 16" barreled ARs with the stock collapsed.

    I am assuming the BATFE isn't too strict about this? They have to understand the exact OAL is rather difficult to determine when you can't legally assemble the gun :banghead:
  2. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Active Member

    Mar 20, 2008
    Lexington, KY
    I'm not aware of any legal penalties for having the length wrong.

    You measure with the stock extended, by the way. If you're really worried about it, once you get the stamp back and assemble the firearm, measure it. Then send the ATF a letter to update their records. They'll send you a thank-you letter back months and months later. Same process as if you permanently change the caliber of an SBR.


Share This Page