1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing NFA items.

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by BondageJaguar, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. BondageJaguar

    BondageJaguar Well-Known Member

    I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, search isn't working right now. What is the lagality/requirements to import an NFA item such as a Machine Gun (pre 1986 manufacture IIRC of course)?
  2. El Tejon

    El Tejon Well-Known Member

    Cursory explanation:

    The SSA of '68 prohibits importation of machine guns. The FOPA of '86 prohibits introduction of new machine guns into the registry. One must be an SOT or governmental agency in order to import a machine gun.
  3. PMDW

    PMDW Well-Known Member

    The 86 ban doesn't prohibit the sale of MGs that were manufactured after 1986 to non LEO/military, it prohibits the sale of ones registered after that date.

    If it's not already in the U.S. and registered, you can't have it.
  4. SOT_II

    SOT_II Well-Known Member

    You would have to be a licensed importer that pays a SOT.

    You could also be a mfg or dealer that pays a sot but you would have to destroy or otherwise dispose of the the NFA firearm after your research was done.

Share This Page