1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indiana Silliness

Discussion in 'Activism Discussion and Planning' started by 1911Tuner, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1911Tuner

    1911Tuner Moderator Emeritus

    Well...I guess I'll have to apologize for that one.

    And yes. I know about peanut allergies. I have it myself. I just don't eat'em.
  2. shookwell

    shookwell Member

    I take it you've never seen a kid in anaphylactic shock. These kids can die very quickly if exposed to even a very small amount of peanut. A lot of schools in many states are peanut free or have peanut free zones.
  3. Nitrogen

    Nitrogen Well-Known Member

    Peanut allergies can be extremely serious to those that suffer from them. Death can result quickly, the reaction is very similar to how sensitive people die from bee stings. (anaphylaxic shock)

    My wife's a teacher, and has had a peanut sensitive student. Her school didn't ban peanuts alltogether, but she and other teachers had to be vigilant. The cafeteria had a seperate peanut-free section, and other measures were taken.

    While this sounds insane, when you realise how easily it can kill someone, the liability alone would explain why the school would do it.

    For more information, check this out.
  4. mrmeval

    mrmeval Well-Known Member

    If the kid is that allergic they should have their own food and not eat anything else. If they can't do that then they'll die. If they can't learn it now they'll just die later.
  5. 41magsnub

    41magsnub Well-Known Member

    So the peanut allergic kid is now isolated because of it? Yep, that's fair... such a small sacrifice for the school for the kid to live more normally.

    High Road indeed....
  6. Nitrogen

    Nitrogen Well-Known Member

    The problem is, even trace amounts of peanuts can cause an allergic response in students. It doesn't always need to be ingested. Some residue from a cafeteria worker who ate a peanut butter sandwich, then handled an apple could easily kill a student with a peanut allergy. (it happened at my wife's school.)

    If your child had this allergy, you'd probably demand severe restrictions like these.

    EDIT: Read the article I linked.
    As you can see, even DUST can cause a reaction.
  7. Larry Ashcraft

    Larry Ashcraft Moderator Staff Member

    Peanut allergy is serious business. My daughter is seriously allergic to them, to the point that they could kill her.

    But this doesn't belong on THR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page